Tamiya's 1/32 SpitfireIX

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yes I know it hasn't got any swastikas on it but I thought I'd have a swing at this for a bit of variety.

I have limited references for the Spitfire so I've armed myself with Brett Green's "How to build" book and am going for a well known aircraft in Johnson's JE*J.

It's an expensive kit but my word you get a lot in the box!

First is a typical Tamiya instruction booklet of 30 odd pages. other paperwork includes a 2 sheet colour insert for JE*J and another little booklet all about the Spitfire and its major variants which includes some nice reference photos,particularly of the Merlin engine.

Next is a box containing various cowling/scoop options on a couple of sprues. It also contains some nice looking photo-etch. Lastly,in the same box, are 2 bags containing various rods,screws,washers,magnets and a little screwdriver all of which I'll worry about later.

Finally there is,of course, a decal sheet with options for three different machines. A lot of people will source after market decals for this kit but I will give these a go.

In the rest of the main box there are 15 bags containing the numerous parts sprues and a lot of parts to play with. On a superficial inspection they look as good and crisply molded as everyone else says they are.

This is only the third Spitfire I've ever built in this scale so we'll see what a mess I can make of it!!

I'll post some piccies soon.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bikerbart

Steve, youve made my day, ive waited a long time to see someone put a Tamiya 1/32 kit together...and the Spit is such a gorgeous looking aircraft im so glad you choosen this. You can count me in on watching this one the whole way bud...best of luck with it all, just take ya time, no rush and i reckon you will turn this into a masterpiece...regards Martin :smiling: Cant wait to see box art and sprues

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some piccies before I start.

Box art,my paint job will include the touch up/repair to this side not shown here. Also,on the balance of probabilities and despite what Johnson supposedly said many years after the war,I'm going for a red maple leaf. Port side I'll apply his pennant but no kill markings.

Here is the paperwork which,with the exception of Brett Green's "how to" is included.

What's this? A box in the box.

Containing this little lot,plus the photo-etch.

I can't possibly do all the sprues,here's some big bits very nicely engraved.

And some little bits,mostly for the Merlin. Very nice indeed.

This is the most expensive kit I've ever started,let's hope I can make a decent fist of it.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I detect one very happy, if slightly nervous liittle boy before us!! lol

Good luck with the build, Steve

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slightly nervous! I'll say. I've started gently by cleaning and priming the photo-etch which I didn't show before. Here it is.

I'm off to read the instructions....again. I'll start for real tomorrow other commitments permitting.

Cheers

Steve

B

bikerbart

Love the box alone, never mind the stuff inside, well done bud, this is ganna be great :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve

I'm REALLY looking forward to you tackling this. That is one lovely Spitfire kit and I know you'll make an outstanding job of it.

Great stuff!

Paul

F

Fenlander

Very nice kit, described by some as the best kit ever made. Matter of opinion but from what I have seen of it, it has to be up at the top of anyones list.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of these has been sitting in my local shop smiling seductivly as my for the last couple of months and I must confess last time I was there I was sooooooooooooo close to buying it. But I didnt!

My work list is rather full at the moment and All my pocket money is used up :sad:

Just to make matters worse, the second one should be hitting the shops right about now. Why they chose to do the mk just before it I will never know. Well I do know, 99% of the work was done for the mk IX so they dont have to make a new tool for the fusalage.

So now I have two of them on my list.

Having seen what you can do to a pile of plastic Steve I am sure that the result will be excellent as usuall.

Looking forwards to watching the build progress.

I find it rather amusing that a kit that is so well researched and developed, has so many aftermarket parts for it. Eduard do about 6-7 sets allready! Most of them conversion sets, but there are also detail sets for the mkIX.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I find it rather amusing that a kit that is so well researched and developed, has so many aftermarket parts for it. Eduard do about 6-7 sets allready! Most of them conversion sets, but there are also detail sets for the mkIX.

Ian M
It's odd isn't it. I'll be doing my normal OOB build on this. I might add a little wiring etc. I'll make some minor improvements,I've already decided to drill out the fuselage frames for example.

I built Revell's 1/32 Ju88 a while ago and see that their is a cockpit detail set available for that too. Why? It has the most detailed OOB interior I've ever seen. The only thing missing from the kit is the external ETC (bomb) racks which might be worth buying "after market"

Conversion sets are something else.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I think the aftermarket idea has fed two things. One, a growing business that helps keep modelling alive (no bad thing) and two, feeds the wants and desires of modellers who like to add that little extra to their models to make them different to the crowd but don't have the scratch building skills. It does not really matter if what is there is right already, there is always that thrill of knowing that deep in the bowels of a kit is a tiny piece of photo etch that will never be seen again until archeologists take it apart in years to come to marvel at this primitive form of model making

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fair point Graham. Those archeologists can save themselves a lot of time by rummaging through the wreckage in my loft.

Made a start on the Spitfire today,mostly painting on the sprues. "Dull Aluminium" Alclad serves as my aluminium laquer. The interior colour is my custom mix of Xtracrylix "Interior Green",RLM65 and a few drops of white,all scientifically done so that no two batches are identical. Details are being picked out in a selection of old Humbrol enamels so it will be tomorrow before I can liberate some of this stuff from the sprues and stick it together.

The camera hasn't done any favours for my interior green!

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Stunning!

Being a recent "convert" to Tamiya, I am looking forward to see how this spitty will look.Good luck with what looks like a long term and slightly complicated build.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not sure I'l get much done today due to other "stuff". Where has the other build gone? Someone else just started one of these and I don't see it anymore. I can't remember who it was (sorry),but I'd love to see how they are doing it. I had a look at the build on Promodeller,thanks Graham, and it just shows that there are many ways to skin a cat.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Little today.Easily summed up in one piccy. I like Tamiya's cunning sandwich style instrument panel (decal on the back of a clear part inserted into the fascia). It makes the decals look good. Also nice to see the compass,something most kits,even in this scale,don't include.

Photo etch armour plate, as seen behind the seat, is a winner too.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I can tell already that this is going to be quite impressive. Remember Steve those red white and blue round decals go on the wings where you would normally put crosses ;) The instrument panel looks terrific doesn't it. getting a bit tempted now but I must resist I do not have anywhere to put something of this size............

B

bikerbart

Boy oh boy...how nice is that instrument panel...loving that compass. Ive been following this on Promodeller as well, a truely stunning kit. Great work steve. :smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very quick update. I've reduced a LOT of little bits to a few bigger bits. I'm waiting for this lot to dry so that I can finish assembly of the cockpit and give it all a nice wash,fit the harness, etc. I'm planning to jump the instruction sheet and take a stab at what looks to be a very nice Merlin power plant once I've got this done.

Anyway yet another poor picture of "a few bigger bits"

If anyone is planning to build this be carefull over the sub-assemblies of the control column/rudder actuators and pedals. They are a bit of a fiddle but it all goes together and fits beautifully (like everything else so far) under and behind the instrument panel as long as you've built it correctly. I had to make a very minor adjustment when I fitted mine.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well looks like you have been busy and its looking really good.

One tiny detail, and its Tamiya's error not yours. The Artificial horizon was not blue/brown in any spitfire. Simple black with white markings. Any photos that show a AH in colours is a retrofit in a restored one!

I do rather like the custom paint colour for interior green. Got a mix ratio on that? That seat looks spot on colour wise, what did you use, I normally either mix something on the fly, or use mahogany brown.

can hardly wait to see that merlin go together.

Ian M