Tamiya's 1/32 SpitfireIX

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Iain,I was aware of the artificial horizon issue but just went with the kit decals,I believe there is a fix available now.

I have a rough mix for the interior green,I actually like the colour to vary a bit from mix to mix. It doesn't show in my (crap) photography but,for example, the armour plate is a slightly different shade. I figure it may well have been as it was a seperate item!

I mix Xtracrylix Interior Green (XA1117) with Xtracrylix RLM65 (XA1202) in about a 70:30 ratio. For a bit of shading I add a couple of drops of white to whatever's in the paint cup.

The seat is much less scientific! I took some Vallejo "Rust" and added some Xtracrylix "Red Arrows Red" to it. It was far to bright so I chucked in some Xtracrylix "Dark Earth"!!!!!!!

I have absolutely no idea of the ratios, I just fiddled about until it looked like I imagine the "Tufnol" resin seat may have looked. I saw a decent photograph of one somewhere but I'm going from memory. I remember thinking whilst mixing the paint that there must be an easier way lol.

The Merlin looks very nice so we'll see what I can do to mess it up in the next day or two!

Cheers

Steve

G

Graham_1970

Nice loooking build so far and I might get that kit at Leuchars airshow.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good on yer Steve.

If you get an oppertunity, try Mahogany Brown from Vallejo. Its pretty good, a nice rich chestnutty brown. I found it quite odd that Tamiya could make such a bo-bo with the AH, but there you go, they are only human!!

On a scale of good enough to utter S... hao would you rate Xtra's interior green. Having only seen it on a pc screen, I think it looks way to dark, Have any comments on that?

Cheers,

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Good on yer Steve. On a scale of good enough to utter S... hao would you rate Xtra's interior green. Having only seen it on a pc screen, I think it looks way to dark, Have any comments on that?

Cheers,

Ian M
The interior green does seem way too dark. I find adding the blue not only lightens it but gives it a slightly greyish quality which looks good to me. It looks much closer to one of the U.S. interior colours,though maybe a bit light for them!

Maybe I bought the wrong one.

The A.H. error was probably caused by referencing an extant aircraft with a modern instrument fitted. An awful lot of kits have appeared over the years with wrong wheels,instruments,aerials and most famously canopies due to precisely this.

The instrument face is printed on the back of the decal (the sheet looks like black dots,which is a bit disconcerting) and this makes it virtually impossible to correct. Replacement decals would be the only realistic option.

I've nailed a few bits together and sloshed a wash on them. I'll tidy that up tomorrow. For now I've at least got this.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I used Xtracrylix Interior green on my Hellcat , just scroll down a bit for close up pics. Cannot say if it is right but I like it lol

It is the FS34151 colour so it is the American standard.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now thats a cockpit! Nice one Steve. I think for the time being I will stick to what I know and continue useing Vallejo Green Sky for my Spirfire's interiors. Its a tad light, but a wash soon cures that. (funny normally when you give things a wash they get cleaner, just not in our little world).

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It is the FS34151 colour so it is the American standard.
That explains why it's closer to Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green! I've obviously got the wrong thing in my cupboard. I bet Xtracrylix do a very good RAF interior grey/green might tack it onto my next order.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: unless I'm missing something they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right then,I've had a couple of hours before SWMBO requires my services so I thought I'd fit the harness. I followed Tamiya's instructions and bent everything as shown only to find I couldn't fit the damned thing like that. Now this maybe down to me but I have now lined it all up the way I would have done it without the instructions and it seems a lot easier.

For anyone else doing this I only made the first 4mm bend in the back part of the harness,that's the bit that goes into the slot in the seat. I then fitted it like this,glueing the rear of the shoulder straps to the frame behind the armour.

Once it's all dry I'll bend everything to shape.

Cheers

Steve

S

snapper41

Looking good Steve! I annealed the harness - the first time I'd tried it. Pleased with myself, I then annealed a set of Eduard pre-printed seat harness on their ME109, and discovered that the pre-printing catches fire...doh.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Snapper,apparently you can "oven bake" photo-etch to anneal it. I've never tried it as SWMBO would have issues with the oven on 9 for hours on end but it's supposed to work. It might save a few flames and a bit of smoke !

Cheers

Steve

S

snapper41

Steve - I bought a small blowtorch for about £11 in B&Q, refillable with butane. Put photo-etch in a pair of tweezers, hold above the flame for a few seconds till it goes blue, then remove and allow to cool. Bingo - annealed PE!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Last night I got the cockpit "innards" done.

And zipped them up (not with that Zap-a Gap but my trusty Tamiya extra thin!),mostly never to be seen again.

I took all the tape/clamps off early this morning. The fit is superb,I haven't even tidied those seams up yet,apart from the one infront of the cockpit The sharp eyed will notice a tiny swipe of putty there which is entirely down to me not Tamiya! Fixing my own boo boo.

Planning to have a go at that Merlin soon.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's a lot of bits to the Merlin. I've stuck some together and it makes for an impressive looking beast. Unfortunately I'm now on grass mowing and patio cleaning duties so this will be it for today.....probably!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ha Ha I have just been weeding in the green house. Can you say HOT. Not going to do that again in a hurry!!!

Things seem to be going smothly for you Steve.

Ian M

B

bikerbart

Great progress, coming on a treat....dont get to knackered doing that mowing though :smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've built the Merlin. This engine did as much as any other thing to win us the war and Tamiya have made a lovely job of it. Painted with a metallic silver/black and then just black followed by a bit of dry brushing with some greys. Most of this doesn't show on my piccy.The whole thing looks considerably darker to the eye. Once it's all dry it will get a nice oily wash as it seems Rolls Royce hadn't moved that far away from "total loss" lubrication in the thirties if contemporary accounts are to be believed! After that it can wait in the box for the entire firewall and engine bearer assembly which I've just made a start on.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve that engine is quite superb, very well done. At first glance I thought it was a real one that someone had pushed a old duvet under!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can imagine what would happen if I shoved a duvet,any duvet,under an engine. I once had a mishap with a Ducati engine...in the front room.

Here is the core of the Merlin pretty much finished. I'll see how the oil wash looks in the morning (they sometimes lose something as they dry) but this is just about ready to fit.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a tricky bit.

The coolant pipe (the reddish/rust coloured one) only has a locator about half way along and another tiny one towards the front. It is not self evident how it should sit. If you get it wrong it won't meet up with the coolant resevoir which is at the front of the engine. Same applies to its twin (not shown) that goes on the other side. Make sure you fit the lower end into its ill defined mark on the engine bearer (by the blu-tac) and the front locator into the tiny nipple on the same bearer,rotating around the central locator and hopefully all will be well.

I'll let you know when I fit the engine!

Incidentally the instructions would have you paint these pipes in Interior Green but that does not match up with what I've seen in various references/walk arounds.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Phew! It all fits perfectly. Here is the assembled front end.

That oil tank (the bottom one) is coming off as I can see in the picture that I missed a seam......bugger. It's Alclad too,out with the smelly stuff.

Cheers

Steve