Tamiya's Lancaster build.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
this thread is useless without pic's.....lolIan.
It is far from ideal of course and not my usual style! I'm hoping to retrieve a camera tomorrow and will get some piccies up with any further progress.

BTW for the Dark Green I'll be using White Ensign's version (from their colourcoat range) which I've used before and very much like the look of. I'm a bit low on their version of Dark Earth,which I also like. Half a tinlet probably won't do a thing this size ! WEM list it as currently out of stock so I may have to revert to good old Humbrol 29 as a base for that. I'm a loooong way from painting camouflage in any case.

The IWM front end is supposedly original isn't it? I'll go with that anyway.

Cheers

Steve

I

ian lanc

\ said:
The IWM front end is supposedly original isn't it? I'll go with that anyway.Cheers

Steve
F for 'Freddy' is the only big piece of a Lancaster which has never been re-painted or tampered with.

There is also a small section of WS*J at Newark Air Museum which is also original.....

Fuselage of Lancaster Bomber, Newark Air Museum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now were is your camera

:anicam:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's an overview of the progress so far.

I built one of these years ago and I remember it fitting on a corner shelf which I still have. Looking at the size of this one I just can't see how!

I'll do some more detailed sgots as I assemble these bits 'n' bobs.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've attached those pesky inner nacelles. On one side I had to make some "adjustments to the undercarriage assembly,I've no idea why!

The front of the nacelle wing join is neat enough but insubstantial.

I was going to strengthen this with some card on the inside but in the end went for superglue and baking powder.

That all for today folks. More later.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just had a nice read of this build of yours Steve, and am most impressed with the prep work and progress.....

Cheers,

Ron

First Name
Adrian
Loving the build, will help me loads when mine restarts, its on hold right now as I finish my Vietnam build for ur clubs meeting in Nov.

First Name
Adrian
Well heres my progress so far, lol, in fairness I have just finished my Kitty Hawk, Shelby GT500 and about to complete my Nam club build,,, and the PE seats took me an hour to do !!!!!

I'll be pinching all your good tips :smiling3:

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Well heres my progress so far, lol,
Ade. You'll have fun putting in the Bomb Aimer !! I normally chop his feet down to get him in the nose !

All leather seats/arm-rests are in green leather by the way not brown.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well my pilot is now a double amputee! I haven't got to the bomb aimer yet.

It's odd,normally Tamiya figures are midgets but these seem on the large side :smiling3:

This kit is 1970s vintage and certainly feels like it.

When I've got this done I'll start a limited run multi media kit for some light relief :smiling5:

Steve

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Ade. You'll have fun putting in the Bomb Aimer !! I normally chop his feet down to get him in the nose !All leather seats/arm-rests are in green leather by the way not brown.
Hmm I'm going by two sites for my colours both showed brown, compared to the kit instructions of black, thought I was on a winner, not that I dont beleive you but I will ask the guy in the club who flew them then I can have a first hand account, lol

gallery image 12 - Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

- Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Well my pilot is now a double amputee! I haven't got to the bomb aimer yet.
Never had no trouble in seating the co-pilot and pilot, they go in nice for me though it might be because i've made over 10 Tamiya Lanc'...lol

You can just see in the first picture how short the flight boots are....lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'll post some pics of the carnage later when Photobucket starts working again.

Let's just say I've needed a bit of filler on the engine nacelles. I'll have to put back the panel line around the rear of the engine later.

Tamiya are onto a good thing here. They flog you a 35+ year old model for about 80 quid and then a couple of tubes of filler to build it!

There are only two possible reasons for buying this kit and only one is a good one. The first reason would be that you've got more money than sense,not a good one. The second would be that you really want a 1/48 Lancaster which is a very good reason as there is no other choice. If you're not desperate for a big Lancaster save yourself a lot of money and a little bit of grief and buy something else.

As you can tell I'm not being paid by Tamiya nor did I get my kit for free,something many online reviewers obviously do :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

Enjoying reading this thread Steve and keep up the fight, want to see the finished item.

I can almost hear the desperation in your posts on here, lol :smiling3:

Must admit I wanted to have a go at building this kit but firstly I didn't realise it was that damn expensive, and secondly that old too!

Atb, Colin.

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Tamiya are onto a good thing here. They flog you a 35+ year old model for about 80 quid and then a couple of tubes of filler to build it!As you can tell I'm not being paid by Tamiya nor did I get my kit for free,something many online reviewers obviously do :smiling3:

CheersSteve
I told you 'have fun' putting the nacelles on! They are terrible aren't they ? Even if you buy the Belcher resin job

they too don't fit the rear section of the nacelle fairings and god forbid if you don't put them on straight.

When Tamiya re-released this kit I thought all the niggles had been sorted out.. Like f*ck they had!

and several reviews said the kit is excellent! Like hell it is and you have to work at the bloody thing.

\ said:
Must admit I wanted to have a go at building this kit but firstly I didn't realise it was that damn expensive, and secondly that old too! Colin.
I've been getting my standard kits from HK at around £40 including the postage and the GS kit for £55 including postage

though I'm not allowed to say who the seller is !!

Have fun guys :bangin:

I

ian lanc

Hope you don't mind me chucking in a little advice Steve!

I would paint the canopy by itself..[but do not paint the lower edge of the canopy frame, where it attach's to fuselage]

Glue only the front section of the canopy as its strong enough to hold onto the fuselage and leave

the rear section un-glued as you will mess it up, trust me you will and something will go wrong.

This Lanc' will be as the Canadian flying Lanc' and its got horrible post-war red leather fitted.

I

ian lanc

Hope you don't mind these Steve! If you do I'll gladly delete them ...[Not trying to hijack your thread but just trying to help]

I build my nacelles up different to Tamiya's instructions, so I'm able to do a far neater job and no fillering too....

Last edited:
I

ian lanc

\ said:
Just noticed those seats are brown? Did they change for the Canadian colours?
I'll tell you what Ade so we don't go gabbing about the Canadian Lanc' I'll start my own thread!

That way Steve can keep his thread for himself....Feel guilty.

It will be 'under construction' http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/17080-v-ra-canadian-flying-lanc-also-known-vera-locals.html#post142095

Ian.

Last edited: