Tamiya's Lancaster build.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking build Steve, going to be a really nice looking aircraft......

With you mentioning something for it to sit on, how about a simple base made of roofing slate stuck on some plywood or chipboard? Just a thought.......

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice indeed, and diong nowt good for my will power. I have been fighting the temptation for a year or two and I am weakening every time I see one built on the forum!

As for the base? How about a bit of that grass matting. I think it would look at home on the grass.

Ian M

I

ian lanc

Just a thought what spanner570 said! I'm beginning to run out of room with my big Lanc's, I now

build a triangle platform in which the model can stand on then the platform is mounted on a round

wood pole which is then glued onto a strong wooden base, I'm then able to stand my mighty big

Lanc's above my other models, Looks well too!

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Woaw! Whats with the PINK lol Sunglasses time :sunglasses2:

Ian M

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Woaw! Whats with the PINK lol Sunglasses time :sunglasses2:Ian M
Holly moses!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've no idea ! Like what the hell!!!!!!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's nice Ian. I'm limited to a couple of karge shelves in one room (10-12 1/32 models) and one small shelf in the living room,onto which,by cunningly posing one model in flight,I have squeezed two models.

I'm sure the Lanc won't fit onto the smaller shelf so something of the others will be booted up to the great model store in the sky,or more precisely loft.

Ian M I'm planning on a "safe return" sort of scenario,hence the exhaust,so concrete dispersal as at Skipton on Swale. They are still visible today. Anyone have any idea what the diametre of one of these was?

If I could find a suitable vehicle I'd make a little vignette something like this.

Cheers

Steve

I

ian lanc

Many called these concrete hard standings 'Pans' or 'Lollie Pops' due to the shape of them.

There was a question on another forum as to how big these round circles are and they were quite big! [Looking for that thread]

Ian.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well they were bigger than the Lancaster wing span from what I can see. And big enough to turn the aircraft around without dragging it or the tractor through the mud (we're talking Yorkshire here :smiling3: )

I reckon at least 120 feet in diametre. I didn't see that thread so any conclusions that were drawn would be helpful. I'm not going to fret it to be honest.

My mate Nigel Julian measured an American one (maybe at Boxted??) but that was for fighters,no help really.

Cheers

Steve

I

ian lanc

Steve, this is the answer to your pan size!

Pan type dispersals are 125 feet in diameter. They are accessed via a 50 foot wide section of taxiway.

Bloody big in other words!!!

I

ian lanc

''Why is my typing coming out different all the time''.....This is scaring me!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
''Why is my typing coming out different all the time''.....This is scaring me!
Tin foil hat time!

Seriously,thanks for the info,125' is indeed bloody big!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, just going back to my suggestion of a piece of slate to sit your Lanc. on, I forgot to mention painting the slate in a concrete colour! The slate painted thus looks, feels and tastes just like concrete....All you need to add are a few scale expansion joints, these could be scribed with summat sharp, then highlighted with a soft pencil. A few tyre scuffs too perhaps?

No need for a complete circle, just a section, enough to encompass the aircraft.

Just an idea, mind!

Ron

I

ian lanc

You could always get some wood and knock together a nice coffee table!!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's a wonderful idea Ian. My cat would have that Lancaster back into kit form inside a few minutes though.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The missus would never go for the coffee table even if I could lash one up!

I have finished the model but am still pondering a base,hopefully one I can use for other projects too.

Here's a snap of the beast sat on the workbench.

I'll do some proper piccies when I get a base done.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not happy with the antenna wires,much too heavy. I used stretched clear sprue rather than my usual monofilament and I guess I'll be stretching some more a bit finer! At least it's easy to change. I've also altered the exhaust staining,adding some much darker tones.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent job Steve