The Border Models 1/32 Lancaster BI/III

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Or, whatever is the German word for 'where did all this tinfoil come from?"
Don’t pat yourself on the back too much ;) Britain and Germany independently invented Window/Düppel at about the same time, and both kept it secret because they figured that if they used it, the other side would immediately know what it was for and duplicate it. The UK was the first to use it in combat, and though German civilians of course were puzzled by metallic paper strips on the ground after a bombing raid, as soon as word of it got to people who knew about Düppel, they knew they didn’t need to keep their version secret any longer.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
More progress.

The canopy fitted very well. I did have some minor adjustments to make to the inner frame but nothing to worry about.

IMG_7855.jpeg

Reviews suggest that the top inserts are a little too wide for the fuselage. Solutions tried include using plastic sheet to make the fuselage wider.

did not do that and just cemented the two fuselage sides into place. I ended up with a gap in the two short sections of top fuselage, behind the canopy and at the tail. I filled these with Vallejo Plastic Putty and after letting it fully cure I sanded it and then applied some Mr Dissolved Putty to the join. It will need a little light sanding tomorrow once that has cured. You can also see in the picture that there is no gap with the fuselage sides fitting snugly together in the middle section. As you can see I did nothing to correct the alleged wider insert…

I say alleged, because a test fit below shows the inserts fitting perfectly. And are exactly the right width! Note that in the picture they are just loosely placed IMG_7857.jpeg
So, I am not sure why reviews say the inserts are too wide!

Below you can see that I have started work on the bomb bay doors and tail sections.
IMG_7856.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
In built up the tail/stabs and then realised that they won’t slide onto the location points due to protrusion from the flap attachment. You were meant to attach the flaps after sliding the tail on. I suspect the theory behind it was to lock the tail in place with the flaps.

You can see the protrusion inside towards the bottom.
IMG_7859.jpeg
It was a simple 5 minute job getting a razor saw inside to cut it up to weaken it then break it off and file the area smooth.
Then they slid on perfectly giving a nice close fit.
IMG_7860.jpeg

I have not cemented them in place yet.