The Border Models 1/32 Lancaster BI/III

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I understand a few of the chaps on here have been down there. They said the scenery was good, the food terrible and way to much walking. AND you had to carry your own baggage.

The build is coming along well. surprised about the decals though.
But, in my case, I am in a luxury cruise with Silver Seas, they are well known for the quality of the food Ian!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Back to the bench with this big Lanc.

On Nigels Modeling Bench he points out that the bomb bay needs fitting to the nose section early on as it won’t fit if fitted as per instructions. Well Nigel might have pointed out that even at this early stage it is difficult to fit and, to do so, I have sanded off location tabs from the top of the bomb bay. My test fitting so far suggest that this will work but I still have some work to do in the fit.

You can see the navigators seat has come unstuck during the struggles. I will be able to refit that later with bent tweezers.

I do not blame the engineering of the kit for this. The dreadful instructions are to blame as I am sure that if WNW produced this kit, they would have had a very different order of build that would have stopped this being an issue.

IMG_7788.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice to see this back on the go. All refreshed after your trip to the southern cold.
For a kit of this quality and expense you'd think the instructions would be excellent.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice to see this back on the go. All refreshed after your trip to the southern cold.
For a kit of this quality and expense you'd think the instructions would be excellent.
But, of course, those writing the instructions were not the same people who designed the kit. Border have a poor reputation for the instructions on their own kits so it’s hardly surprising they have made a mess of these.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have made some slow progress and this is no kit for beginners!

As you can see the bomb bay is in place. After some cutting and filing it went together.

Firstly fitting the outer front fuselage sides has been a real struggle. I have done this over several days, having to break off before I lost my patience with it. Some location lugs had to be cut off where I thought they were stopping the panels from fitting. Then, today, there was an audible click and suddenly they fitted. This was meant to be just a dry fit originally but I got the Mr Cement S out and glued it immediately into place!!!!

Here it is. I will leave it until tomorrow before removing the tape and clamps

IMG_7810.jpeg

During the process more internal parts broker off, I refitted the seat by the way.

IMG_7811.jpeg
It won’t be much of a problem to glued them back into place.

I also got on with the front turret construction, as you can see. I did not bother with the brass gun barrels, but I might change my mind later. This was a difficult one, due to the terrible instructions it was not clear exactly where and how all the parts fitted. I got there in the end and I am now masking the transparency and preparation to paint it.

IMG_7812.jpeg

It’s a relief to have got that lot done.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Firstly fitting the outer front fuselage sides has been a real struggle. I have done this over several days, having to break off before I lost my patience with it. Some location lugs had to be cut off where I thought they were stopping the panels from fitting. Then, today, there was an audible click and suddenly they fitted. This was meant to be just a dry fit originally but I got the Mr Cement S out and glued it immediately into place!!!!
(Barry qoute)

an yes barry all that you have said in your above qoute also appleises to my tomcat as im havin the same probs an for the money these kits costs we should not be havin these probs do you aggree ?
chrisb

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
(Barry qoute)

an yes barry all that you have said in your above qoute also appleises to my tomcat as im havin the same probs an for the money these kits costs we should not be havin these probs do you aggree ?
chrisb
Hi Chris. No, not really. There could be all sorts of reasons for such issues and I do not rule out something I did. In this case the model was designed by Wingnut Wings of course, Border bought the moulds and had no idea what WNW intended for instructions order of build etc. Also WNW had not finished and finally approved the moulds yet and, no doubt, if they had continued the development would have resolved many of the issues. We all know what high standards WNW set for themselves. Border has a difficult job to do on little information and we need to appreciate that. Their normal style of instructions really is not up to the job of a kit like this, we all know how WNW did their instructions for which this kit was developed. So in getting this kit you have to understand all this and give Border some slack. Yes they are not up to the job of a kit like this, few model companies are, but we should be grateful to them for bringing this kit to the market, despite the price. There have been some amazing builds of this model so it is buildable.

This is the only Border kit I will ever build as they otherwise don’t produce 1/32 aircraft.

Not all companies are capable of producing WNW or Tamiya quality kits.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Barry yes see what you mean but the probs im havin on my tomcat kit is rubbish an you built your bombcat dint you an lookin through your build of that things dint go right did they ? so i guess i'll just push on an try an understand some of your trummpy bombcat probs
an hope you had a nice time down south an did your boy make off with that stunning young lady ?
chrisb

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That style of instructions is weird … They look really good, but as you try to follow them, it’s much harder than exploded-view drawings that show which parts go where. Here you essentially have a bunch of drawings showing the assembly steps in order, but it’s left to you to figure out which parts are actually added, and how. It puts me in mind of Lego instructions:

View attachment 498592

… with the difference that Lego’s are actually clearer :smiling3:
Did you ever finish this build?

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Border is kind of a curators egg at the moment. I’m willing to give them a little more time to develop but their kits aren’t cheap.
I have the Stuka - it should have been a great kit - the unique and very well done bonus figure of Rudel was very welcome.
Surface detail very nice take a look - and their plastic seems nice too.

image.jpg

But somehow the kit was well made by someone, he got ill and some janitor took over.

Seriously the foot pedals are for a Chinese woman pilot with bound feet - I circled it so you can see the offending part - check this badger out;

IMG_4310.jpeg They look about 1/72 scale. In fact here is a live comparison with actual 1/72;

IMG_4312.jpeg

The engine is really quite nice but the cowlings are moulded completely illogically - with the 2 halves down the middle - not at all realistic. A shame as detail really good;

IMG_4311.jpeg

I suppose these issues aren’t insurmountable but they got to do better than that.

Modellers buy the kit - they can criticise it!

Finally, if any bonus figure or barrel is included it is unclear in which box has these extras. The Border Luchs early releases has a metal barrel which makes a real difference as the plastic one is unfit for purpose. To save on ink they put nothing on box if included or not.

Edit; those pedals are a damning indictment

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris. No, not really. There could be all sorts of reasons for such issues and I do not rule out something I did. In this case the model was designed by Wingnut Wings of course, Border bought the moulds and had no idea what WNW intended for instructions order of build etc. Also WNW had not finished and finally approved the moulds yet and, no doubt, if they had continued the development would have resolved many of the issues. We all know what high standards WNW set for themselves. Border has a difficult job to do on little information and we need to appreciate that. Their normal style of instructions really is not up to the job of a kit like this, we all know how WNW did their instructions for which this kit was developed. So in getting this kit you have to understand all this and give Border some slack. Yes they are not up to the job of a kit like this, few model companies are, but we should be grateful to them for bringing this kit to the market, despite the price. There have been some amazing builds of this model so it is buildable.

This is the only Border kit I will ever build as they otherwise don’t produce 1/32 aircraft.

Not all companies are capable of producing WNW or Tamiya quality kits.
Maybe not - but they certainly are capable of charging like prices. Give Border some slack? :smiling5:For a £600 kit? If any kit I have is good I will say as much but if it has any issues - I will certainly say as much and then some.

I’ve been on some forums where a new kit is announced as being released. Most folk like me are like - ‘yeh, should be about 50 bucks’. But you always seem to get one cretin that says ‘I would pay much more - at least 70 bucks’.

So let’s not be too nice to the big corporations - they need to be fed but we don’t need to be bitten!

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Border is kind of a curators egg at the moment. I’m willing to give them a little more time to develop but their kits aren’t cheap.
I have the Stuka - it should have been a great kit - the unique and very well done bonus figure of Rudel was very welcome.
Surface detail very nice take a look - and their plastic seems nice too.

View attachment 506367

But somehow the kit was well made by someone, he got ill and some janitor took over.

Seriously the foot pedals are for a Chinese woman pilot with bound feet - I circled it so you can see the offending part - check this badger out;

View attachment 506368 They look about 1/72 scale. In fact here is a live comparison with actual 1/72;

View attachment 506371

The engine is really quite nice but the cowlings are moulded completely illogically - with the 2 halves down the middle - not at all realistic. A shame as detail really good;

View attachment 506370

I suppose these issues aren’t insurmountable but they got to do better than that.

Modellers buy the kit - they can criticise it!

Finally, if any bonus figure or barrel is included it is unclear in which box has these extras. The Border Luchs early releases has a metal barrel which makes a real difference as the plastic one is unfit for purpose. To save on ink they put nothing on box if included or not.
Border’s 1/35 scale kits are of no interest to me, I won’t touch them with a barge pole. I am only interested in 1/32 (and the odd 1/48). I am certainly not saying that their own kits are any good at all.

The Lanc is different as they did not commission/design it and only bought the moulds. With a kit this complex it presented unique challenges to them as they cannot read the minds of the Wingnut Wings team that designed it. Their style of instructions is crap anyway and if you look at WNW instructions you can see how different they are. So yes, I am willing to give them some slack on this.

As for the cost of kits. I am not personally price sensitive with, even excluding the Lanc, an average price of over £100 for the kits in my stash. All 1/32 scale aircraft. We all have a different perspective on value and I consider many kits as good value that others think are cheap, but then value is very different to price. I would prefer, any day, to build a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire at over £130 than four or five Revell 1/32 Spitfires at £30. Indeed I have built three of the Tamiya’s and one of the Revell.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Border’s 1/35 scale kits are of no interest to me, I won’t touch them with a barge pole. I am only interested in 1/32 (and the odd 1/48). I am certainly not saying that their own kits are any good at all.

The Lanc is different as they did not commission/design it and only bought the moulds. With a kit this complex it presented unique challenges to them as they cannot read the minds of the Wingnut Wings team that designed it. Their style of instructions is crap anyway and if you look at WNW instructions you can see how different they are. So yes, I am willing to give them some slack on this.

As for the cost of kits. I am not personally price sensitive with, even excluding the Lanc, an average price of over £100 for the kits in my stash. All 1/32 scale aircraft. We all have a different perspective on value and I consider many kits as good value that others think are cheap, but then value is very different to price. I would prefer, any day, to build a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire at over £130 than four or five Revell 1/32 Spitfires at £30. Indeed I have built three of the Tamiya’s and one of the Revell.
They didn’t commission it or design it - all they did was just go and buy the moulds.

If you buy a house then resell it you don’t blame the previous architect - it is your name that is on the contract.

Nothing against buying expensive kits - sometimes you get what you pay for - but £600? Apparently they sold so well they had to sell the cockpit. No wonder!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
They didn’t commission it or design it - all they did was just go and buy the moulds.

If you buy a house then resell it you don’t blame the previous architect - it is your name that is on the contract.

Nothing against buying expensive kits - sometimes you get what you pay for - but £600? Apparently they sold so well they had to sell the cockpit. No wonder!
That is a somewhat strange comment. Long before the kit was released and while WNW were still developing the kit WNW announced the Cockpit version and had a mock up on display at Telford. And, yes the Mk I/III did sell well enough for them to release the Dambusters version as well.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I found that the top-rear insurt fits perfectly. Glued into place I then attached some aerial and a screen.

IMG_7813.jpeg

I have also been working on the internal canopy framing getting it ready for airbrushing.
IMG_7814.jpeg

There is just a little filler needed in three places where the fuselage joins will show. Behind the canopy and underneath. I used Mr Dissolved Putty as its perfect for this.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Finally the front turret is coming along. I am waiting for the Gator Grip I used to dry
image.jpg

The insert that will fit on the nose and fix the turret on place fits perfectly. This and the turret will be added in final fittings.
image.jpg
Thats now up to date.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on nicely Barry. The cockpit canopy frame looks very delicate.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Coming on nicely Barry. The cockpit canopy frame looks very delicate.
It is very delicate and I am aware that in many kits it was broken and warped. Luckily in mine, along with the transparencies, it is in good condition.