The Border Models 1/32 Lancaster BI/III

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I probably won’t get a chance to start cutting plastic until January but I might as well get started with the post…

Here is the box
IMG_7363.jpeg

As for aftermarket, I will definitely be using these
IMG_7365.jpeg
And these
IMG_7364.jpeg
I seem to have two sets of canopy masks. Whether elements of both will be used or just one set, probably the ASK set, I don’t yet know IMG_7366.jpeg
My plan is to build up two engines for separate display first before moving on to the aircraft which will be built ‘buttoned up’ apart from an open bomb bay.

More to follow and, in the meantime do have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking forward to this Barry. A Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in . Yes all enjoy the day.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very cool.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
After watching a guy build one of these on You Tube I'm looking forward to watching how yours gores

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have grabbed an hour to get the build organised.

While this aircraft is physically smaller than the Liberator, it has by far the largest number of parts and sprues of any of my builds. There are 22 sprues in all to get labelled and organised.

Fortunately Border, or perhaps I should say Wingnut Wings, are no Revell so you don't have to search multiple sprues to find all the parts for a sub-assembly. The instructions clearly label the parts numbers and what sprues they are on as well as grouping the parts for each sub-assembly, as all good kit manufacturers do.

For example, I am going to start by building up two engines for separate display, one Packard Merlin and one Rolls Royce Merlin. On the aircraft itself I will have the panels all closed up.

I have therefore put out the four sprues E for the engines and that’s all that will be needed for this.

Here they are.
IMG_7393.jpeg

Clearly this helps as there is no chance of putting all the sprues in the sprue rack so I will put those sprues that apply to the sub-assembly I am working on at the time.

Here are the rest, carefully removed from their bags, labelled and laid in the box.
IMG_7394.jpeg

I might get to start cutting plastic for the engines tomorrow, a bit earlier than I thought.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A little about my approach to the build.

I have watched Nigel’s build on YouTube and after 18 months he still has not finished. Nigel is an excellent modeller whose attention to detail is second to none, but that means he does go down some rabbit holes in search of perfection.

I won’t be going down rabbit holes, while I like accuracy I will be balanced about it with the aim of enjoying the build first and foremost. I won’t therefore be tackling all the little issues Nigel found, some I will, but not to the point of risking the build becoming tiresome. That means I won’t be taking 18 months or more and hope to finish in three months or so.

This is going to be a fun build and I intend it to stay that way start to finish.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck Barry!