The Choice

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'll do that - there were one or two other spots needing attention too - it's an ill wind etc. etc.
Wasn’t going to mention it until you said you were stripping the figure, seemed a bit nitpicky…..it would have been barely visible after the shield was added.
The strength of cellulose primer is that you can wet sand any rough spots on the model after the initial coat and the primer sands smooth without tearing. Quick touch up after and you’ve done.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've ordered some grey Mr Surfacer 1500 and appropriate thinners from our host. And started looking seriously at spray booths!

And no issue picking nits, Tim. I'm amazed at how many flaws appear after a priming, no matter how thorough I think I've been with the clean-up.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A bit freaked out by the muck-up with primer, so it was good to get started on The Beast while awaiting the lacquer.

View attachment 469720
And some more thoughts on how I'm going to present these three. It's going to involve a very large tree. Lots of florists wire on order for that.
That looks really excellent Paul. Very impressed….Very weird horns he has though, they thicken up after they have left his skull……

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
After a festive pause I'm progressing with The Beast.

20230101_221639.jpg20230101_221645.jpg20230101_221656.jpg20230101_221709.jpg

Not sure about his scrap of clothing - he's clearly done something beastly to a beautiful pinto horse. If it continues to look too comical I'll alter it. But not till the skulls, metalwork and horns are done.

Hlin is awaiting the arrival of a spray booth from our host, then I can prime her with Mr Laquer.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow  Paul great painting and shadows on the body. Looking fwd to the new lizard material.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fabulous work paul , its a bit awe inspiring to a non figure painter like me ( actually I should say a rubbish figure painter like me - i still attempt them but never get any better !)
The beast looks excellent , very angry ! , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work Paul. The skin tones around the muzzle are superb, as is the hoof colour. Glad you are redoing the scrap of clothing, it just looks wrong as it is. Personally, I can’t decide if it is leather, untanned animal skin (unlikely as there isn’t any texture), or cloth…….gives you plenty of options I suppose…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everybody.

Having made the decision to erase the horsehide, I can't wait to get it done - although I'm not sure if I can pull off lizardskin properly @John Race - we shall see!

If it's any consolation, @yak face, I am still trying to screw up the courage to plunge in to plastic modelling proper, rather than plastic painting. I'm sure I'll be rubbish at that too, to begin with. I'm certain figure painting primarily requires good techniques (learnable from people here and on YouTube) and tons of practice. That's all. As @Tim Marlow says, it's only pushing paint around, after all ;).

@Tim Marlow - like you, I'm confused by that modesty material of his. Just keep reminding myself it's fantasy, so anything goes.

And it's not the only conundrum. Look at that top-shot - how does he do up the buckle on his back?! Maybe he has a dresser? I can picture Tom Courtenay fussing around The Beast in his lair - "you look wonderful, ducky, they'll adore you out there!“

@Jim R - I've got a spray booth on its way. Once I have that I'll lacquer Hlin, the subject of the priming fiasco - wish me luck!

And I'm refining my ideas for the diorama these figures will go into. It will include a great big tree, that I think might take an age to construct. Still, interesting departure for me.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you go for lizard skin (pretty damn big lizard, but hey Ho ;) ) best advice I can give is find a picture of one you like and copy it…..