The Choice

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Paul. Nice work.
I think I’d be tempted to make up a test piece to try the glazes on…..and start with dark colours as they tend to make better, more transparent, glazes….and of course use glaze medium as the diluent…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Instead of making a test piece, I started carefully with a very dilute dark green glaze and went from there. (Actually I started by diluting ink with isopropanol and promptly wiped out several dots. I repainted the dots, varnished, then started again using glaze medium!) The skulls still need work.

20230102_171648.jpg20230102_171610.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Paul, words kind of escape me at the moment. Not being a figgie builder and knowing little about fantasy subjects, this beast is fascinating, most ugly, scary and sooooo cool!!!...Great work and color choice. If the others come out like this one, it's going to be an epic scene...

Prost
Allen

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've been storming through this one. It's basically finished apart from the axe head, which is a rather groovy shade of purple. It needs distressing, and I'm hesitating. I'm thinking some very minimal airbrushing of dark inks - any suggestions? Don't really want more rust.
20230103_172737.jpg20230103_172730.jpg20230103_172706.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The axe already looks distressed to me Paul. Have you thought about just darkening the nicks and dents with something like a gunmetal shade, then highlighting the edges with your brightest silver to make them more visible?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks perfectly acceptable as it is Paul as Tim says.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The axe already looks distressed to me Paul. Have you thought about just darkening the nicks and dents with something like a gunmetal shade, then highlighting the edges with your brightest silver to make them more visible?
I've certainly considered breaking out the Molotow chrome. But it makes all the gold look too subdued. If the metallics are to match, I think the chrome needs handling with extreme caution. I was thinking verdigris might give me the variation I'm after without boosting the glitter out of balance with the gold.

Since I rejected (petulantly, perhaps) NMM, I've increasingly found that, with TMM, the less actual bright metallic paint visible, the brighter the item appears. So taking tones right down (without losing a subdued hint of metal), then popping it right back up with a few highlights looks great.

The main face of the blade is a big slab of metallic purple - it needs breaking up, I reckon.