The hangar

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've added the brick embossed sheet to the back wall and glued H section styrene, truss and rod to look like down pipes from the hangar roof. I also added 0.035" rod bent and glued to the wall as electrical conduit with a cut off of square section rod for a light switch. The square panel is a mock up of a door but I'm not convinced by it yet. In the right hand corner there is a strip of plasticard, this serves two purposes; the first is to act as a fire point and the second is to hide a short section of girder!

The hangar doors have been painted too but I still have more to do with them and the floor has had filler applied to the gaps.

View attachment 109108

View attachment 109109

View attachment 109110

View attachment 109111

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Looking good.
Hope these pics may be of help as well.

RAF Binbrook Last Great Lightning Show 1987

View attachment 119842 View attachment 119843 View attachment 119844

Gregg
Great pictures Gregg, thanks. I must stress that this hangar is not going to be specifically for Lightnings but more as a generic backdrop for 1/72 scale aircraft. It's just coincidental that the picture that inspires me features Lightnings.

There is still a lot to find helpful in these photo's and who knows, maybe another Lightning could be knocked together!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking great Rick,very nicely coming along, ;)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I bought this resin 1/72 scale engine by CMK for the new Airfix Lightning and it got me thinking, there are very few post war/Cold War engines in this scale to super detail your models so I had a go at scratch building one - here is my progress.

I used the fan blade face from a Nimrod kit and glued it onto a section of 9.7mm tube with strip styrene built up around the back of it to bring the dimension up. With other various bit of styrene, brass rod and lead wire I have created some of the fuel and hydraulic lines seen around gas turbines. There are representations of fuel and oil filters, electrical junction boxes, actuators and an oil tank. There is much left to do but I'm happy with it so far despite it looking a bit scruffy due to the glue - a lick of paint will solve that.

Only half of the engine will be fully detailed so that I can model it installed so I had a play around with it in the engine bay of a Nimrod I have had parked for a while.

What could I do with this resin Lightning engine!!!?

Enjoy.

View attachment 109399

View attachment 109401

View attachment 109402

View attachment 109403

View attachment 109404

View attachment 109405

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some more detailing work tonight using some bits from my railway spares box so this engine has had cut up sections of buck eye couplers, screw links and ETH sockets glued on with some additional lead wire for the outside of the compressor case.

A section of plasticard has been trimmed and glued for the fixed firewall that divides the compressor and combustion chamber. Next I need to reprofile the combustion chamber/turbine section and figure out a way of modelling the back end of the turbine.

View attachment 109497

View attachment 109498

View attachment 109499

View attachment 109500

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great scratch building on this

very well done, ;)

L

Laurie

Just found this Rick. Great bit of imagination. That picture is quite something and fired a spark.

Laurie