The hangar

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Nice work Rick, looks great. It would be good to see on a stand.
Humph! That means building one. I want to do another engine though, so that I can fit it into an aircraft scene.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look at what you've built so far Mr Rick, a stand is hardly going to be straining your ability :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Look at what you've built so far Mr Rick, a stand is hardly going to be straining your ability :smiling3:
True. It would be a shame to spend all this time building an engine to hide it in an engine bay, but that was the original plan. This was also always going to be a trial build just to see what could be done in this scale, if it turned out too rough and ready the option to use it in an aircraft would be there. I do have an idea for a larger project that I wanted to trial some ideas I have foe it on a smaller sized build to see if they could work, so far so good but one of my next challenges (after an engine trolley/stand) is some staging to go around an aircraft - purpose built moveable scaffolding effectively - the stuff you see in maintenance hangars for C' checks etc. Using plastic rod may be too flimsy and I'm not keen on soldered brass rod.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After varnishing the floor, doors and brick walls to protect the paint while masking I masked and painted the vertical girders and truss, it was at this point I realised that I have forgotten the sliding door for the back wall, ah well, it was going to be done in red anyway.

I need to come up with a solution for the other side was and settled on an internal breeze block wall. I found a sheet of roof tile plastic that could pass for breeze blocks and have painted it white ready for cutting and fixing. To break up the bland wall I'm contemplating a portakabin to go against it.

View attachment 115229

View attachment 115230

View attachment 115231

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Robert
Hi

Just caught up on this one Rick and all the details your putting into this hanger are looking stupendous. The detail is amazing and the jet engine is very convincing and I like the idea of the portals in in the office.

My father years ago when I was a little boy worked in similar types of buildings, I think he was putting the tracks on centurion tanks ( ordinance corps or something ) and if memory serves he showed me a b/w photo of the assembly building, not a hanger as such but the building in your first post reminded me of it

Regards

Robert

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Walls fitted to the floor and the first part of the interior partition wall has been cut and fixed in place. The office that we worked out of at Kinloss was separated in a similar way, the SNCO's were in the documentation half and the rest of us used the other half to do our paperwork and control the maintenance. I'm contemplating fitting a light.

View attachment 115506

View attachment 115507

WP_20150728_19_23_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20150728_19_23_21_Pro.jpg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Walls fitted to the floor and the first part of the interior partition wall has been cut and fixed in place. The office that we worked out of at Kinloss was separated in a similar way, the SNCO's were in the documentation half and the rest of us used the other half to do our paperwork and control the maintenance. I'm contemplating fitting a light.
View attachment 126796 View attachment 126797
Looking great Rick, definitely put in a light. I think Iay have already said this is a blinding idea if only to display aircraft for nice photos and is something I would definitely do if I had more time. I would definitely add some lights, if you had a decent camera you could then play about in the dark with some long exposure work... Mate it would be incredible! I'm getting excited thinking about your opportunities here!

Regards

Phil

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I like the "Portakabin", it screams a "cheap as chips" "Mil Spec" solution. ;)

Nice touch! :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I finally got round to fitting the turbine and nozzle for the engine tonight, it just needs a coat of titanium coloured paint or similar. I used a birthday cake candle holder cut and glued to a disc of plasticard.

View attachment 115636

View attachment 115637

The portakabin has also been fitted out with wall mounted desks on the inside and an external work desk fixed to the outside wall.

View attachment 115639

I also fabricated a sliding door for the back wall from scrap plasticard and some Evergreen U channel for the rails, this will be painted red and glued on later. The walls need some signage - No Smoking, FOD, etc. I had a play around with the position of the portakabin inside the hangar.

View attachment 115638

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I can almost hear the echo of voices in the hangar Rick. The turbine looks great, very nice scratch building.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is progressing along nicely,do like the colors of the floor and wall, ;)