The Happy Hunter

C

Caledonia

\ said:
The mammoet is a decal Ole and should look better once the adhesive has cured a little. I did think of weathering this vessel but as im totally new to boats i have no reference to what it should look like. Ive searched the net for the Happy Hunter but have not been able to find much on her. The pics i do have have always shown her to be highly maintained and as you say in 'prestine; condition. The next problem i will have is with the type of weathering materials, as this boat will be used on the water and im not sure what i can use for weathering apart from the paints ive painted her with. Probably best to keep her looking like new for now.Cheers

Andy
Nice work Andy, regardng weathering, these vessels were pristine except for the deck and stern roller which unavoidably got a hammering with the heavy anchors handling. In the oil industry the operators (oil companies) insists on very well maintained vessels, plenty of money, not like the poor trawlers of old. Cheers Derek

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Derek, i understand now why they are like new,

Cheers

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Andy I've just caught up with this thread. Good grief you are a machine man! I turn my back for a couple of weeks and you've done all this. Great stuff chap,I always enjoy following your work,it's very different and frankly a lot more difficult than mine.

Respect

Steve

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy I've just caught up with this thread. Good grief you are a machine man! I turn my back for a couple of weeks and you've done all this. Great stuff chap,I always enjoy following your work,it's very different and frankly a lot more difficult than mine. Respect

Steve
Thanks Steve, each to his own mate. I must admit that this build is moving along rather well. I will soon be on the IMARA. That is a nice kit and has loads of detail.

Thanks

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Came out okay he says :score: that looks excellent Andy! I would have dreaded that myself but you tackled it nicely!

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey, the next problem is painting. I had to make up the whole thing in situ and then remove it for painting as some areas are impossible to get to when fitted, this made the thing even harder.

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not bad....LOL

I think the fun part will be painting those rails.. A very tidy build though.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

With the painting of the rails on the wheel house roof complete i moved onto a few more bits. I cheated Ian even though i glued the posts etc i didnt glue the posts to the floor so i could remove the whole lot to paint it. clever eh lol. The Captain is on the bridge, i thought i saw him on the Titanic lol.

View attachment 57950View attachment 57951View attachment 57952View attachment 57953View attachment 57954View attachment 57955View attachment 57956View attachment 57957View attachment 57958View attachment 57959

The next move is to build the communications tower that fits on top of the wheelhouse roof. This will have a rotating radar on it.

View attachment 57961View attachment 57964View attachment 57965View attachment 57960View attachment 57963View attachment 57962

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 59834

View attachment 59835

View attachment 59836

View attachment 59837

View attachment 59838

View attachment 59839

View attachment 59840

View attachment 59841

View attachment 59842

View attachment 59843

View attachment 59844

View attachment 59845

View attachment 59846

View attachment 59847

View attachment 59848

View attachment 59849

Upper deck C.jpg

Upper Deck C1 (1).jpg

Upper Deck C1 (2).jpg

Upper Deck C1 (3).jpg

Upper Deck C1 (4).jpg

Upper Deck C2 (1).jpg

Upper Deck C2 (2).jpg

Upper Deck C2 (3).jpg

Upper Deck C2 (4).jpg

Upper Deck C2 (5).jpg

Wheel House Radar Tower (1).jpg

Wheel House Radar Tower (2).jpg

Wheel House Radar Tower (3).jpg

Wheel House Radar Tower (4).jpg

Wheel House Radar Tower (5).jpg

Wheel House Radar Tower (6).jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb work bud loving the amount of detail your putting in

S

Sky Raider

Thanks John, It should look good once all the working light are fitted also.

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
nice one Andy.

Ships rails, must be the navy modellers answer to single link tracks for a tanky. A pain in the bum but look the bee's when done.

Sorry to say it but not to sure about that Mamot thing. is it a vinyl sticker or a decal. It looks like there is a lot of air under it.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Ian, The Mammoet is not quite s Decal, it has a sticky back to it and i did try water bit it didnt make any difference. Something i have to put up with im affraid.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm. Thats a pity. A man with your tallents, have you not considered removing it and painting the text instead? It seams a shame as everything else it looking very sharp so far.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Allyne, put it down to the savage North Sea, but if it does start bugging you, get a fine needle and puncture the air holes. Then gently squeeze the trapped air out.

Excellent work.

Ron

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Allyne, put it down to the savage North Sea, but if it does start bugging you, get a fine needle and puncture the air holes. Then gently squeeze the trapped air out.Excellent work.

Ron
Ron, when I did my Trawler, the I used this guy for the name and Funnel Flag, he does the names in thin individual lettering, any colour so you don't have the panel effect. The end result is slightly raised lettering, but so are the letters on a real vessel. Cheers Derek

Manufacturer of self adhesive vinyl lettering and decals for model boats, planes, cars and all hobbies.

View attachment 58028

View attachment 59909

B184.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just had a look, that's one handy site.

Cheers Derek,

Ron

C

CDW

Yeah thanks Derek, thats bookmarked

3 & 5 mm vinyl lettering .... lovely :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
he he. It wasn't that company, but I used Vinyl numbers on the Vosper... :smiling:

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys for your info. It isnt really that bad, i think the problem here is that it is vynal on Matt paint im sure that once some decent heat has got to it it will stck better. Ill try a close up for you and you will see that there are no air bubbles trapped underneath.

Cheers

Andy