The HobbyBoss 1/32 B24D Liberator.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Here she is, the big one……. The biggest model I have attempted and, most likely, the biggest injection moulded aircraft produced. (So far - a 1/32 Sunderland anyone???)

There are issues with this kit, two in particular, the wing aerofoil profile is wrong but that is something I cannot really do anything about, that said, based on a finished example I saw at Telford, it still looks like a Liberator when finished so it does not bother me.

The second significant issue relates to how the rear turret is moulded. There is a seam join between two halves where we really don't want a seam on a transparency. Again it’s not something I can deal with but if I can find an aftermarket alternative then I will get that, but none found so far. So I will probably just make the best of it.

Here is the box.
IMG_6985.jpeg

I love the desert scheme on these but it will take some work to make it interesting in this scale.

The aftermarket.
IMG_6986.jpeg
IMG_6987.jpeg
IMG_6988.jpeg
IMG_6989.jpeg
IMG_6990.jpeg
The masks above did not specify the mark of B24 and I found that it contains the front turret transparencies and not the glasshouse needed for this kit. Therefore while I will use the above where possible I will use these below for the glasshouse nose section (and elsewhere if the above is not right). Montex, of course being vinyl and therefore pretty poor at covering curves without lifting the kabuki tape masks from Eduard are preferred.
IMG_6992.jpeg

IMG_6994.jpeg
I will use the decals above for ‘Squaw’

Now, to give you a sense of size. I don’t exactly have small hands…
IMG_6995.jpeg
IMG_6996.jpeg

Here is my customary pic of my modelling bench all cleaned down and set up ready to start. Note that my sprue rack is full with no room to take the transparencies, decals and aftermarket. Even so, I had to put the larger parts on my sofa, no room elsewhere.
IMG_6997.jpeg
IMG_6998.jpeg

This being so large a model with a wingspan of 42 inches I have decided on two display options.

Firstly because this aircraft has a tricycle undercarriage my hope is that it will fit nose in on my shelves (they are 18 inches wide) with the open bomb bay hanging out over space. My initial rough measuring suggests it might work, it will be close though. If not then I will not fix the wings permanently into place and will make them removable so the aircraft can be put on the shelves with the wings behind the fuselage.

That’s the plan anyway. My Border Lancaster will be the next build and I will need room to store that, wings off, as well. That should be fine as I have lots of shelf space.

Hopefully I will cut plastic on Monday.

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have started work on the cockpit. It needs some more work before I start attaching the 3D decal details. I have to say that the Kits World 3D Decals are not great and I had to go online to find placement information and that is far from comprehensive. Red Fox and Quinta are far superior in every way it’s just a pity I could not find them for this kit.

IMG_7008.jpeg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck with this Barry! A huge kit!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Been looking forward to this one Barry. Enjoy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Having seen the superb results you have achieved with 3D decals I have used them a couple of times. Both times Quinta and I have to say they were excellent. I shall look out for Red Fox but try to avoid Kits World.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A monster of a kit. Definitely worth a viewing. SWIMBO would have a heart attack if that dropped though our door!!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am making slow but sure progress.
Nose wheel well and undercarriage are done and fixed to the ‘pit.
IMG_7025.jpeg
IMG_7026.jpeg

The fit is good but tolerances are tight. The metal u/c leg has a comforting weight to it and I will need a lot of weight to get this firm on its tricycle undercarriage. A problem for a bit later.

The bomb bay is next, pretty straight forward overall with a dozen bombs to pull together.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good so far Barry. That platform behind the u/c looks like a good place to hide a huge piece of lead weight.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The metal undercarriage looks good. Stronger and more in scale than anything possible with styrene.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Barry. Excellent work as always.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The bomb bay comes together really well. Parts nicely click into place though they have rather thick sprue gates to clean up, but then that’s just what you can expect with such large parts.
IMG_7031.jpeg
The above will need painting Neutral Grey before attaching bombs.

Also there is the structure for the ball turret that will fit behind the bomb bay which will need spraying Interior Green.
IMG_7032.jpeg
I will now be pulling together 12 bombs, each with five parts. This will be a little tedious but well worth it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The bombs are not as tedious to pull together as I thought largely because they fit really well so the seam clean up went painlessly.

The first stage next is to paint them with a sand yellow primer. This will provide a good base for the yellow ring which I will mask off with 4ml masking tape. That being done I will do a seam check soon before masking up the band. I used Google to check for pictures of these bombs so I can correctly position the band. Interestingly the photos showed the band in several positions including not on a curve or angle, naturally that is the position I will use to make this easier.
Pic below, all primed.
IMG_7033.jpeg

I have also painted the bomb bay for which Neutral Grey is called out plus some other internal surfaces interior green. These parts still need a bit of work, washes and dry brushing.
IMG_7034.jpegThe wooden Ammo box was sprayed Ochre Wood and masked to paint the green. I then used an ‘earth’ oil brusher to give it a wood look.