The lull before the storm.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
On 10th May 1940 the German Army invaded France. Their Blitzkrieg offensive pushed the BEF and the French army back towards the coast of Northern France. On 23th May Generaloberst Gert von Rundstedt inexplicably issued a halt order to Army Group A, leaving the Luftwaffe to harry the retreating allied forces. The halt order was rescinded on 26th May.
I enjoyed building my Israeli dio (HERE) and who can fail to be motivated to build a dio after seeing John R's latest masterpiece!

My idea is to use the Sd.Kfz 7/1 half track which I built for Dave's GB in a dio showing the crew resting up after von Rundstedt's halt order.
P1070246.JPG

A derelict farm building will be the back drop.
building 1.jpg

Three of these guys will be the human interest.
P1070245.JPG

The vehicle is a bit big but it's built so I'll use it. I planned out the front of the building to scale.....
P1070260.JPG

.... and cut out a plywood base and roughed out the building and the half track position.
P1070259.JPG

I spent a few days building up the figures. Took some cleaning up but pretty fair detail, even the heads were useable. My figure painting is not good so they'll certainly do! The guy kneeling and cooking has been slightly altered to making friends with a stray cat.
P1070257.JPG

P1070256.JPG

I'll also use the pump from the MiniArt set
P1070258.JPG

As always this will be painfully slow but anyone with plenty of patience may find it interesting. Tea and biccies available, also strong coffee to keep you awake.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice prep Jim. Did those same figures but had one in shorts...nice poses.

Cheers,
Wabble

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Squish up fella's, I'm in for this..(any chance of a brew and a biccy ?),

oh and don't forget to tell matron we're all off for a group walk around the garden with Comrade Race to educate us about the local plant life, that'll keep her out of our hair for a while...

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Nice plan, looking forward to seeing it come together.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would say front row seat for me but they appear to be taken. So i'll be at the back, munching on popcorn :smiling3:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
On 10th May 1940 the German Army invaded France. Their Blitzkrieg offensive pushed the BEF and the French army back towards the coast of Northern France. On 23th May Generaloberst Gert von Rundstedt inexplicably issued a halt order to Army Group A, leaving the Luftwaffe to harry the retreating allied forces. The halt order was rescinded on 26th May.
I enjoyed building my Israeli dio (HERE) and who can fail to be motivated to build a dio after seeing John R's latest masterpiece!

My idea is to use the Sd.Kfz 7/1 half track which I built for Dave's GB in a dio showing the crew resting up after von Rundstedt's halt order.
View attachment 471436

A derelict farm building will be the back drop.
View attachment 471429

Three of these guys will be the human interest.
View attachment 471430

The vehicle is a bit big but it's built so I'll use it. I planned out the front of the building to scale.....
View attachment 471435

.... and cut out a plywood base and roughed out the building and the half track position.
View attachment 471434

I spent a few days building up the figures. Took some cleaning up but pretty fair detail, even the heads were useable. My figure painting is not good so they'll certainly do! The guy kneeling and cooking has been slightly altered to making friends with a stray cat.
View attachment 471432

View attachment 471431

I'll also use the pump from the MiniArt set
View attachment 471433

As always this will be painfully slow but anyone with plenty of patience may find it interesting. Tea and biccies available, also strong coffee to keep you awake.
Kind of you to say Jim, seat at the front please with black coffee .Should be interesting .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
So nice to see so much interest in this. I really appreciate your support.

The figures are primed. They needed a bit of work which showed up with the initial primer but are OK now. Stynylrez black sprayed upwards from the base and Stynylrez white from above at an angle.
P1070261.JPG

P1070262.JPG

and puss. (his face is fine - really!)
P1070264.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice start on the figures Jim. Going to be a good one.…….
Just out of interest why use black and white primer for the Zenitel effect? Once you’ve primed them in grey, they are primed. Black and white paint then do the same job?