The Smythe Meister's 1/35 Achilles

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A'noon guys,
Well, with the Cromwell finished I had a good rummage through the stash,it took a while to decide which would be my next build,but I eventually settled on this one.It ain't a recent kit by any stretch,and it won't be quick either... there's a lot of bits,as you'll soon see!! ;)
IMG20230113152849.jpg
Sprue shots...
IMG20230113153221.jpg
IMG20230113153329.jpg
IMG20230113153632.jpg
IMG20230113154105.jpg
You get 2 choices decal wise,use the C2 Canadian option or.... NOT!! ;)
As you can see, the tracks are "rubber bands",but I'm happy with that... nothing a mitre glue kit can't beat into submission :smiling3: ,Also,all the kit for the crew is provided,but not the crew themselves?!!
Anyway, suffice to say, it's an interesting looking bit of armour,(to me at least!),so we're off :smiling3:
Anyone who fancies chipping in along the way will be very welcomed,cheers for now,
Andy

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This will be an interesting one to follow, I sold the Academy M10 kit I had a few months ago because I realised I was never actually going to build it — now I can watch someone else do it :smiling3:

(Here’s a bit of a historic aside with regards to naming, BTW :smiling3: “Achilles” was the official name of any M10 gun motor carriage in British service, not just the one with the 17-pounder gun like you have here: the standard M10 with 3-inch gun was the Achilles I, the same vehicle with 17-pr was Achilles IC. However, nobody in the British or Commonwealth armies called them that — it was either generic “M10” or “17-pounder M10”, or some variation on that. Only in the 1960s or so, when people started seriously writing books about armoured vehicles, it seems that “Achilles” applied to the 17-pounder version only, and that looks like it’s stuck.)

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
A'noon guys,
Well, with the Cromwell finished I had a good rummage through the stash,it took a while to decide which would be my next build,but I eventually settled on this one.It ain't a recent kit by any stretch,and it won't be quick either... there's a lot of bits,as you'll soon see!! ;)
View attachment 471630
Sprue shots...
View attachment 471631
View attachment 471632
View attachment 471633
View attachment 471634
You get 2 choices decal wise,use the C2 Canadian option or.... NOT!! ;)
As you can see, the tracks are "rubber bands",but I'm happy with that... nothing a mitre glue kit can't beat into submission :smiling3: ,Also,all the kit for the crew is provided,but not the crew themselves?!!
Anyway, suffice to say, it's an interesting looking bit of armour,(to me at least!),so we're off :smiling3:
Anyone who fancies chipping in along the way will be very welcomed,cheers for now,
Andy
Built this one as a child...look forward to seeing it done properly!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This will be an interesting one to follow, I sold the Academy M10 kit I had a few months ago because I realised I was never actually going to build it — now I can watch someone else do it :smiling3:

(Here’s a bit of a historic aside with regards to naming, BTW :smiling3: “Achilles” was the official name of any M10 gun motor carriage in British service, not just the one with the 17-pounder gun like you have here: the standard M10 with 3-inch gun was the Achilles I, the same vehicle with 17-pr was Achilles IC. However, nobody in the British or Commonwealth armies called them that — it was either generic “M10” or “17-pounder M10”, or some variation on that. Only in the 1960s or so, when people started seriously writing books about armoured vehicles, it seems that “Achilles” applied to the 17-pounder version only, and that looks like it’s stuck.)
Nice to see you looking in Jakko. :smiling3:
Interesting info there thanks.... I think I'll probably be picking your brains for the odd bit of technical assistance along the way if you don't mind. ;)
I'll follow along Andy. Looks to have enough bits to keep you out of mischief for a while.
When I saw the thread title I missed the 1/35 bit and thought "By 'eck, Andy's going to branch out into figure painting with an ancient Greek hero"
Hi Jim,..... not brave enough to reach that far out of my comfort zone yet I'm afraid!! ;)
Looks like a nice kit Mr. Smiff. I'll tag along and see what you make of it. Is there also a little base or dio in the planning Andy???...

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen :smiling3: the answer to your question is "YES"..... remember that vac formed base that my Cromwell is going on? Well there's enough room on it for this too. ;)
chair pulled up get the kettle on.
On as requested Scottie....no scrapping over the Chocolate Digestives mind. ;)
Interesting to see this one get stuck together…..
"Interesting" is the word Tim.... the open turret should be a challenge to look appropriately busy! :smiling3:
Built this one as a child...look forward to seeing it done properly!
HA!! ... Better find someone else who's doing one then Jack!! ;)
There’s plenty of parts there to keep you busy! Looking forward to the progress.
Cheers, P
There certainly are P ..... there's also plenty for the spares box too,the different options of running gear alone are showing that already! ;)
If you don't do the Canadian one I will throw my toys out of the pram!

John
Oh,OK then John, just for you.... Canadian it is :smiling3: ...... as if I'm given a choice!! ;)
Looking forward to seeing you build this Andy, I did the same kit a few years ago and really enjoyed messing around with it...
Did you Chris?..No pressure then! ;) Looks like you'll be another source of info/pitfalls regarding the build as it progresses if you'd be so kind. ;)

ALL, well,great to see such a distinguished group gathering already Chaps :smiling3:
The build starts,(you won't be surprised to hear!), with deciding which set of wheels to use and putting some bits on the lower hull,so that's now underway. :smiling3:
When there's meaningful progress to show I'll pop an update on,
Cheers for now,
Andy.... and of course,Cohan !!

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Mind if I sit in? I'll bring my own Ginger Nuts and coffee!
Steve
..."I'll bring my own Ginger nuts"?!!!.... Steve,this is a family show Sir!! ;)
.... You'll have to slum it with Chocolate Digestives like everyone else mate. :smiling3: ....
...oh,and welcome aboard. ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking forward to following this build.
I'm always skeptical about Acadamy kits, but this one looks fairly nice, and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Kalan
Hi Kala,
Good to see you popping in,and welcome to the site too. :smiling3:
Academy aren't a brand I'm overly familiar with,but at first glances it looks quite nicely done, although I must admit the instructions could be a bit clearer when it comes to parts that are "alternatives".

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm always skeptical about Acadamy kits
Same, which is why I ended up selling mine … I had bought it to pilfer its driver’s compartment interior parts for a Sherman, but did want to build it eventually (with the front hatches closed). Eventually I reached the conclusion that it has so many minor accuracy problems that I would be better off selling it and, at some point, buying a Tamiya one instead.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Made some inroads on this one, assembled the wheel sets and added some bits to the lower hull...
IMG20230120145115.jpg
It's all now curing after a blast of Halfords Grey primer :smiling3:,as an aside,the detail is pretty good in my opinion.....
IMG20230120152116.jpg
I think I'm going to enjoy this already!! ;)