The Smythe Meister's 1/35 Achilles

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Starting to look like a tank killer Andy :thumb2:
Cheers Tim,it is starting to look a bit Brutish isn't it :smiling3:
Just found this..........sorry I'm late to the party, I'll take a back seat and keep an eye out for Matron. ;)
Never too late Rick... appreciate your hawk eyes at the back there buddy!! :smiling3:
Nice work Andy
Cheers Mick, it's getting there. :smiling3:
Looking fine Andy,

don't worry about the TAX returns... if our esteemed politicians can get away with it, I'm sure HMRC will cut you a bit of slack..
Thanks for the positivity Chris. :smiling3: ... BUT, I can't see that happening !!
In your dreams mate ...
Yep,sadly, you're spot on there!! ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.... So then Chaps,
... I've done some more...
IMG20230127183205.jpg
IMG20230127183145.jpg
IMG20230127183140.jpg
A few sub assemblies before primer there,...
IMG20230127183318.jpg
.. and balancing on plates!! ;)
Done a few more things,more of that tomorrow!
Gotta say this kit is very nice,if not a few "tricky" parts to get together.. even with studying the instructions..
..thanks for looking in. :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy remember this year no warnings just a fine for every day your late !!!!
Build looking good .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy,

Coming on nicely!!

This is Junior's favourite wartime AFV. Some quick build Armourfast Achilles are really what got me back into the hobby!

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Spray Paint Clamping, Painting Stand Base and Alligator Clip Stick Set , Metal Wire Alligator Clamps, Tailed Clasp Clips for Hobby Modeling DIY Memo, Photo, Card https://amzn.eu/d/0etnmio

Didn't make it myself Si,( although it wouldn't be a hill of beans to do so), couldn't be bothered,and at less than a tenner,why ?!!
A very useful bit of kit. ;)

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Spray Paint Clamping, Painting Stand Base and Alligator Clip Stick Set , Metal Wire Alligator Clamps, Tailed Clasp Clips for Hobby Modeling DIY Memo, Photo, Card https://amzn.eu/d/0etnmio

Didn't make it myself Si,( although it wouldn't be a hill of beans to do so), couldn't be bothered,and at less than a tenner,why ?!!
A very useful bit of kit. ;)
Just ordered one of these, been using a florists block and my own 'handmade' version for years, but figured I'd upgrade.. :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just ordered one of these, been using a florists block and my own 'handmade' version for years, but figured I'd upgrade.. :thumb2:
Nice one Chris. :smiling3:
I'd been using cocktail sticks and blu tac for years,then thought,"damn the expense,treat yourself, you're a long time dead"...... use them all the time now. ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Chaps :smiling3:
... I'll reply individually tomorrow,but I've had to squeeze a bit of progress in today, after spending about 5 hrs doing my books. :sad: ...
HOWEVER, I have managed to start on the interior..
IMG20230128190958.jpg
Looks a bit heavy staining on what should be a whitish paint job,but I have a plan :smiling3: ....
IMG20230128191830.jpg
You won't see much of it in the end obviously,and I won't be going overboard with it for that reason... But I do want to get it somewhere near. ;)
Until tomorrow evening,I bid you farewell. :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks more like it stood outside in the rain for 15 years ;)

BTW, on the real thing the hull floor plates (the anti-slip ones) and those bins on the floor against the firewall would have been painted olive drab, not white. The rest of the hull interior was white, though.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks more like it stood outside in the rain for 15 years ;)

BTW, on the real thing the hull floor plates would have been painted olive drab, not white. The rest of the hull interior was white, though.
Yeah,does look reather stark at the mo doesn't it Jakko, I'm going to give it a going over dry brushing white,to, hopefully,freshen it up,and give it a bit of depth. :smiling3:
Thanks for the floor plates info... I'll sort that dreckly, the pics i've seen showed the white interior,but the deck plates were hard to see.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The photos in the technical manual also show white floor plates, but you can’t always trust publications like that because the pictures usually show prototypes. On all American open-topped tank destroyers like this, though, the floors were normally painted OD to match the turret interior, so that an aeroplane flying overhead wouldn’t see a huge white bit in the middle of the vehicle.