The Smythemeister's 1/48 Dr.I

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
...... Cont'd......
progress over the weekend then, haven't managed to finish it yet,but it's getting there.:thumb2:
There's a lot of decals on this one,kinda fun though.....
IMG20240401173625.jpg
Top wing, the green is a bit dark in the pics,it has been "streaked" a little,but doesn't show much there.It also is awaiting more weathering,so the white will be quite so "white"!! ;)
IMG20240331173802.jpg
IMG20240331184839.jpg
IMG20240401173725.jpg
IMG20240401173752.jpg
That's it for now,the bottom wing is now fitted and awaiting the glue to set.The MG's are painted up,as is the landing gear,so next time it should look much more like a Dr.1. ;)
Cheers for now.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hahaha! The pilot painted kennscht mi noch? on his plane? I guess he wanted to make sure he got recognised by his opponents :smiling3:

It means something like “recognise me?” in, I think, a Low German dialect.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ha,I thought the same Jakko,I did a quick Google translate the other day and got "do you remember me"!!:tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes, but they’d only see it if they shot his top wing off wouldn’t they?
Yes, indeed they would Tim!
I also looked up the "KEMPF" decal for said top wing,that apparently means "fight",makes sense I thought,then saw on the instructions that this plane was flown by,"Ltn Friedrich KEMPF", coincidence or.... bull***T?! :tears-of-joy:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Mr. Smiff,

Love the decals Andy and the build so far, but 'Kempf' is the pilot's last name. 'Kampf' is the word meaning fight, in German. I guess Gurgle let you down Buddy.......

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, but they’d only see it if they shot his top wing off wouldn’t they?
Or if they’re behind and above him, trying to shoot him down …

I also looked up the "KEMPF" decal for said top wing,that apparently means "fight"
Kempf is a not al that uncommon surname. Kampf with a capital K means “battle” or “combat” (as a noun, not a verb); kämpfen with an Umlaut on the a, which makes its pronunciation approximately like that of the letter <e> in Kempf, is “to fight”.

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Morn Mr. Smiff,

Love the decals Andy and the build so far, but 'Kempf' is the pilot's last name. 'Kampf' is the word meaning fight, in German. I guess Gurgle let you down Buddy.......

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen,one of the things that really appeals to me about WW1 Aircraft,(especially the German's),is the vast array of camo schemes, from incredibly colourful to fairly drab, mainly though, it's the slogans they sometimes used,and of course,the old style Crosses.... They just look So cool to me!:cool:
Or if they’re behind and above him, trying to shoot him down …

Kempf is a not al that uncommon surname. Kampf with a capital K means “battle” or “combat” (as a noun, not a verb); kämpfen with an Umlaut on the a, which makes its pronunciation approximately like that of the letter <e> in Kempf, is “to fight”.
Cheers Jakko, nicely explained.... all quite close really, easy to see how things can get confused!:rolling:
Whatever it says it looks fab andy , the decals look to have gone on a treat ,
Carry on kempfing
Regards Sid James
Thanks Tony,(or should that be Sid?!!;)), they've conformed very well,with the assistance of liberal amounts of Micro Set of course!!:tears-of-joy:
...... TBC......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... Cont'd.....
Morning chaps, just a brief look at what I managed to get done during the week,lower wing and struts on......
IMG_20240405_203557.jpg
IMG20240405182803.jpg
... a "Dark Dirt" Flory wash was plastered on,and then duly rubbed back,I want quite a grubby look,some more to take off,but it's nearly where I want it to be :smiling3:
....IMG20240405203917.jpg
.... Guns, engine and cover put on,red leather surround of cockpit block painted.So today it's THAT undercarriage,(which Dave warned us about),Top wing,and various supports/tiny bits on,I think It'll be "done" by tomorrow:thumb2:.
As always,thanks for looking in, cheers for now.......

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.... So then, here's some pics of the final stages of the build....
IMG20240407120652.jpg
IMG20240407120711.jpg
Top wing on,then some tiny bits,also I'm trying to sort the undercarriage... Dave was right... It's incredibly fragile! :sad:
IMG20240408184659.jpg
..... TBC.....

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit of a catchup here, but very nice work Andy. Excellent work on the 'used' look.
Thanks Colin,nice to see you pop in:thumb2:,if the undercarriage stands up, the "finished" pics should be up tomorrow :hugging-face:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Speaking a dialect other than the standard/prestige one does not make you any less of a native speaker, though :smiling3:
..... Very true mate... However, there's a certain kind of "snobbery" where accents are concerned in the U.K. ... for example, people who talk like I do,tend to be looked upon as stupid... How little doth the so called intelligencia know!! ;) :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
..... Very true mate... However, there's a certain kind of "snobbery" where accents are concerned in the U.K. ... for example, people who talk like I do,tend to be looked upon as stupid... How little doth the so called intelligencia know!! ;) :thumb2:
I used to use my broad Wiltshire accent as an arsehole detector in meetings……it was a great way to blindside the arrogant.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Nice one Andy. Like Allen, I've been playing ketchup!!! Damn - he's got me doing it now!! Seriously, a very nice build mate. He said in his poshest Geordie accent!!! Cos I is posh. (They tell me when I gan yem). That's 'go home' in Geordie.