The Smythemeister's 1/48 Dr.I

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Late to join Andy. Sorry about that.
Coming on well, one of the first planes I built way back it the mists of time. Must have been an Airfix from Woolies.
Like you love the Flory wash , easy to work with . Great ability to add or remove .
See you've been allowed to work in the house ! Was that so Cohan could watch from his lair :smiling3:
Love to Rach

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
there's a certain kind of "snobbery" where accents are concerned in the U.K.
Not just in the UK, that happens everywhere. There is usually one or a small number of prestige dialects — turn on the national TV news and listen to how the presenters talk, that’ll give a very good indication of what that is — and everyone speaking a clearly local dialect will get looked down on as uneducated or stupid. Which doesn’t stop me at all from speaking my local dialect to all and sundry here, except for obvious visitors from far reaches of the country. But if you live around here, my thoughts are that it’s not my problem if you think you the local dialect is hard to understand.

(That said, hardly anybody more than a few years younger than me even speaks local dialect at all anymore. Kids these days all speak what I refer to as “TV Dutch” with its horrible pronunciation of certain sounds :sad: )

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think I broke it for the first time during assembly, repaired it several times & finally cobbled it together, just to take pictures! When it broke after that it went for landfill...................
Dave
Certainly have to treat it with kid gloves Dave, luckily though,it ain't broke yet!!:hugging-face:
Nice one Andy. Like Allen, I've been playing ketchup!!! Damn - he's got me doing it now!! Seriously, a very nice build mate. He said in his poshest Geordie accent!!! Cos I is posh. (They tell me when I gan yem). That's 'go home' in Geordie.
Hi Doug, thanks,and welcome along:thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Late to join Andy. Sorry about that.
Coming on well, one of the first planes I built way back it the mists of time. Must have been an Airfix from Woolies.
Like you love the Flory wash , easy to work with . Great ability to add or remove .
See you've been allowed to work in the house ! Was that so Cohan could watch from his lair :smiling3:
Love to Rach
Good to see you John,it is a bit of a classic plane isn't it? I think most of us must have done one as a youngster.Cohan has had a front row seat this week!!:tears-of-joy:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello mate,
Sorry I have completely missed this up till now. That is a great result something completely different from the normal finishes.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then chaps,as I said previously,I wanted to try and get a bit of a "well used" look, anyway,the build is complete,here are some pics,in no particular order,to prove it;)......
IMG20240411174023.jpg
IMG20240411174033.jpg
IMG20240411174048.jpg
IMG20240411174143.jpg
IMG20240411174124.jpg
IMG20240411174117.jpg
IMG20240411174110.jpg
IMG20240411174059.jpg
Pics taken on my phone,but you get the idea. Thanks to all who commented or just looked in, it's appreciated :smiling3:
Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello mate,
Sorry I have completely missed this up till now. That is a great result something completely different from the normal finishes.
Thanks Scottie,the green streaking didn't come out quite as intended, but I kinda like it! ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic build andy , I love the streaking and the fact its a seldom seen version , the writing on the wings just adds even more to it , top job mate , cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fantastic build andy , I love the streaking and the fact its a seldom seen version , the writing on the wings just adds even more to it , top job mate , cheers tony
Thanks very much Tony, very nice of you to say so, pleased you like it :thumb2:.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Andy,
Sorry to have just caught up.
That was a great build.
Sadly the instructions lead you to believe the upper surfaces were 'Olive Drab' in colour, but they were in fact a streaked finish set at 45degrees.
You can 'rescue' your finish by using a flat brush to streak a lighter 'Olive Drab' going from top right to bottom left like the image below...
kempf.jpg
This is overdone, but the idea is there.
Sorry to be a pain.
Mike.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not being a pain at all Mike!! Always glad for pointers.
This build is "done" now though,but I will bear that in mind for future,thanks again :thumb2:.