The Smythemeister's Tigger

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Plenty of wheels there Mr Smiff, steel rims with internal rubber cushioning, they started that on the Tiger 1, because the weight made the rubber come away from the wheels with use.:thumb2:
Hi Graeme,long time no see,
Hope all's well with you and yours :hugging-face:,
Thanks for that info,I didn't realise that was the reason,but makes sense now you say it:thumb2:,
Cheers.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Now I'm back from holiday, I have just had a quick catchup. That's looking very good indeed!

Well done so far!

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
steel rims with internal rubber cushioning, they started that on the Tiger 1, because the weight made the rubber come away from the wheels with use.:thumb2:
And it saved rubber, which was in very short supply in Germany later in the war — the usual German name is gummisparendes Laufrad, “rubber-saving roadwheel”. They copied the idea from the initial type of wheel used on the Soviet KV tanks (which later went to all-steel wheels without any rubber at all).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for that Tim,I have both "The tank Book",by The Tank Museum,and,"German Tanks of WW2",by David Porter..... but neither of them have any pictures of the engine deck details,grilles etc :sad-face:.
I'd appreciate any info on that if you'd be so kind.:thumb2:

Welcome along Scottie, always great to see you looking in mate.:hugging-face:
Hi Andy. Sorry about the delay, but these are all that are in the books….
AE4E53A0-8A80-44D9-880E-06A06098618A.jpeg
A9F5DC07-E0B7-49AF-A7BE-319F6F1BBCC1.jpeg
B2CC639F-7ABC-4F4B-A4F1-6638E7A8CA5B.jpeg
D3D867DA-F92D-4F83-9013-811BCBF08F02.jpeg
Hope that helps…..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Is there any room left please Mr Smith ?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy. Sorry about the delay, but these are all that are in the books….
View attachment 488921
View attachment 488922
View attachment 488923
View attachment 488924
Hope that helps…..
Hi Tim, thanks very much for those,they certainly do help, especially the last page.... much more detail than anything I found:thumb2:
Well I've learned something about the wheels on Tigers :thumb2:
Build is looking very clean and neat - wheely good (well someone had to!)
Yep, every day certainly is a school day eh Jim?!;).... and yes.... SOMEONE had to!!:tears-of-joy:
What round ?;)
..... I think they decided that the square ones took too much materials,so they lopped the corners off:tears-of-joy:......
..... and of course there's room for you mate.... wouldn't be the same without you looking in:thumb2:
Andy

Now I'm back from holiday, I have just had a quick catchup. That's looking very good indeed!

Well done so far!

Andrew
Good to see you back on the scene after your educational success :cool:, thanks for the kind words.... it's stalled of late, but I'll put up some progress this evening :thumb2:
And it saved rubber, which was in very short supply in Germany later in the war — the usual German name is gummisparendes Laufrad, “rubber-saving roadwheel”. They copied the idea from the initial type of wheel used on the Soviet KV tanks (which later went to all-steel wheels without any rubber at all).
Nice one Jakko,as always,top info from yourself :smiling3: ..... Not the first idea they pinched from the Reds eh? ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Dish type with rubber tire versus reinforced rib type with internal rubber insert.....smarty pants! ;)
Hmmm,"Smarty Pants", haven't heard that for a while!! ...However,in this case.... More than justified I reckon!! ;) :tears-of-joy:
If it’s your round mine is a large one!
... Mine's an even LARGER one....
... and a Jack Daniels to boot!!:cool::dizzy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,a long awaited update,(well, for me anyway!! :tears-of-joy:),
Been waiting for the metal barrel to turn up, but apparently it's going to be another fortnight!!:sad-face: ... so I'll press on and show the other stuff I've got, that warped rubber band track turned out to be absolutely useless,so,I wasn't going to pay North of £35 for replacement stuff,so decided on these....
IMG20230820164237.jpg
Normally I wouldn't bother, but as that rubber one was so bad,and I intend to show it with some of the side plates blown off,I needed some proper SAG !!... (, Not only that,but Rach is wanting a PROPER result!;:hugging-face:)...
And, you can see a Zimmerit set there, SORRY MIKE :dizzy:.. but weighing up the cost of buying all the stuff needed to make it myself,(and the cost), just for one, possibly,build,I went for the stick on stuff.... still has taken som tricky cutting out mind!!:flushed:...
IMG20230820175342.jpg
IMG20230820175729.jpg
... Apart from some tricky cutting,it goes on very nicely, quite impressed to be honest. :smiling3:
... and just for the record,some wheels!! ....
IMG20230820180145.jpg

.. so,this will be ongoing now as well as my Beaufort....
... Not sure WTF has happened to my metal barrel for this though,but I'll press on.,.

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Normally I'd say yes...
But I don't do Cats... Can't stand the murdering, annoying,things!! :dizzy: :thumb2:
Dogs me but no problem with moggies. We have a visiting cat who is 'allowed' to transit the garden. Dog's a sh1t mouser but 'George' as he's known is first class!! In fact we laughed last night. George is walking over the dry stone wall we have and our pup spotted him for the first time. Our pooch sat on her hind legs like a Mere Cat and watched George until he jumped into next doors garden. Then got all territorial and decided to chase the cat, albeit he'd gone!! (Dumb dog!!!)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dogs me but no problem with moggies. We have a visiting cat who is 'allowed' to transit the garden. Dog's a sh1t mouser but 'George' as he's known is first class!! In fact we laughed last night. George is walking over the dry stone wall we have and our pup spotted him for the first time. Our pooch sat on her hind legs like a Mere Cat and watched George until he jumped into next doors garden. Then got all territorial and decided to chase the cat, albeit he'd gone!! (Dumb dog!!!)
When we had a Doberman she would chase cats up the fence. Only had to open the conservatory door as she was off like a rocket. Funny thing was when the daughter came to stay once with 3 cats in tow the dog made friends with one and they shared her basket.The mother spat at her once when they arrived and she kept well away !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry for butting in on your thread mate .

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Love birds in the garden.. cats try and kill them...
...trying to feed feed hedgehogs in the garden... Cats snaffle their food..
... Try to keep a nice garden.. cats crap on it everywhere...
Please, SOMEONE,tell me what the attraction of having a cat is?!!