Tim’s 1/48 Eduard Roland CII

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is looking very good Tim. Rigging is time consuming and frequently frustrating but really sets these old " kites" off. As for colours of historical planes, armour, ships etc - a quagmire only the brave or foolish would get into :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is looking very good Tim. Rigging is time consuming and frequently frustrating but really sets these old " kites" off. As for colours of historical planes, armour, ships etc - a quagmire only the brave or foolish would get into :smiling:
Cheers Jim. I know the rigging is the icing on this weird coloured cake, hence taking my time on it. As to colours, my first job was in colour chemistry as a yarn dyer in pre computerised days. I know all colour matching at the time was subjective, usually, but not always, done by eye against a standard. Some paint (Humbrol authenticolour anyone) was made with reference to the previous manufactured batch. That is a recipe for colour drift if there ever was one, especially if different members of staff made the comparison. This situation was only improved with the implementation of reliable digital colour matching technology in the 1990s, but I bet it still persists in the fabric world because natural yarns vary in nature anyway. Any colour paint or fabric made before that would certainly exhibit variance batch to batch, and that was even when new. Atmospheric impact and user wear would put you on a hiding to nothing.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know what you mean…..Watch this from about thirty seconds in then….

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Esp love that prop Tim, looks real.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure how but I have missed this one. Sorry Tim.
You are doing a great job om this colourful aircraft. I can fully understand why some are totally hooked on (German) WWI aircraft, ty do make for a colourful collection.
As Mr. Ewing wrote, that prop looks real!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Esp love that prop Tim, looks real.
Cheers John. Much appreciated. Simple to do, by the way. Spray in buff. Mask thin strips. Spray in brown. Remove masking and give it several coats of clear orange….simples. It’s the clear orange that’s the secret sauce.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure how but I have missed this one. Sorry Tim.
You are doing a great job om this colourful aircraft. I can fully understand why some are totally hooked on (German) WWI aircraft, ty do make for a colourful collection.
As Mr. Ewing wrote, that prop looks real!
Cheers Ian, very kind of you.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Still plodding here…..
Ancillaries painted and ready to fit…..
IMG_1842.jpeg

Top wing on
IMG_1843.jpeg

Very annoying glue smear created…
IMG_1844.jpeg

Some knitting done…
IMG_1845.jpeg

Interplane rigging will be done when the wings are dry. After that, just remedial work on the underside where the cords come through, last of the decals and paint and varnish touch up…..then stick on the lose bits and hide it away never to be seen again ;)

I had forgotten how finicky and fragile these things were. Running out of places to hold it right now. Only plus is that eze line stretches and doesn’t bend or break.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Mr. back from the dead Ketchup in the house and loving your progress Tim! A shame about the glue smear, but I'm sure you'll fix it. Knitting is looking good too and you are right about finding safe places to hold it. It's definitely a colorful wing thingy buddy!!!...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mr. back from the dead Ketchup in the house and loving your progress Tim! A shame about the glue smear, but I'm sure you'll fix it. Knitting is looking good too and you are right about finding safe places to hold it. It's definitely a colorful wing thingy buddy!!!...

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen. The smear is annoying, but nothing more. Matt varnish and a touch of paint hides many things ;) . Mind you, I’d be really irritated on a gloss finish……

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking very nice Tim , the colours look great . I had the same problem with mine - near the end it was difficult to hold without catching the rigging , like yours though mine was elastic so I didnt snap any !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very nice Tim , the colours look great . I had the same problem with mine - near the end it was difficult to hold without catching the rigging , like yours though mine was elastic so I didnt snap any !
Cheers Tony. Boggles the mind to think of the complicated rigging on early aircraft models….how on earth do they get built….