Tim’s Hobbyboss 1/48 Fleet Air Arm Avenger MkI

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well Tim,this has become break neck speed progress these past few days eh?!! :thumb2:
Looking really good with your usual painting flare,pleased to see you pressing on with it,despite it becoming a bit of a drag :nerd:.
Keep ploughing on mate...... it`ll be well worth it :cool:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well Tim,this has become break neck speed progress these past few days eh?!! :thumb2:
Looking really good with your usual painting flare,pleased to see you pressing on with it,despite it becoming a bit of a drag :nerd:.
Keep ploughing on mate...... it`ll be well worth it :cool:
Yep, roaring along…….Spent the last couple of days putting on yet more masking…..The rest of the paint arrived today so that’s next…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Still plodding….but the Cam is now on and varnished. The Scale Model Shop stuff sprays very well, sticks well, and is extremely pigment rich. Unfortunately that makes it hard to keep the pre shade intact, but you can’t have everything……It is also far more economical than I thought it would be. This is a big beast, but it used no more than about a fifth of a bottle. The only down side is that the paints dried with significantly different degrees of shine, but as I use varnishes to control, the over all finish I did not find that a problem.

81C31913-F73A-4695-980E-B30E877A5650.jpeg
I have some minor remedial repairs to be done to the sky underside as a couple of small patches of paint lifted as I removed the masking, and I stupidly put the wet underside of the folded wing down on the wood block before it had dried, so pulling a little old overspray onto the finish. Paint lift has never happened to me before, so think it might be due to the smoothness of the Mr Color primer. The Scale Model Shop stuff was fine, but the sky, which was Mr Color, diluted with MLT, didn’t seem to stick quite so well….as the cousins say…”go figure”.

Not an issue though as the post decal varnish will unify the surface again.

Must admit, I think the temperate sea scheme is fug ugly colourwise. Oh, and I knocked a part off again for the fourth time..

Decals very soon though, thank the Lord.

Cheers all
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
….and it goes on and on and on and on and on……
Right….paint on, decals on, varnished, and now ready for washes, weathering and final detail painting…..OH, and loads of assembly that can break bits off yet again….quite happy with it again though.

DF111108-4B5D-4EA8-8978-922613F57D7A.jpeg

C98B1553-2070-4824-A5BB-34DFA50F09AA.jpeg
Glasshouse looking good…..

D78C167E-96FD-452F-BAE5-63E8A920A813.jpeg
Interesting detail in the wingtip light….never had a bulb before, usually have to drill a hole and fill it with paint….

2EC32FF8-C6BC-4064-9272-B717F042A006.jpeg
Not the sharpest finish, but nice that I can see the interior colour under the outer…..

DF0FD0D3-EC8D-429D-A447-0E7C6C6D4B66.jpeg
Ordnance, tanks, undercart and prop. Still need some washes and highlights in places, especially the metals…..

Still, I can see the finish post now, so full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's looking very tasty Tim. Lovely paint job. Interesting that you found these acrylic lacquers to have variable sheen when dry. I have found just the same with MRP paint which I think is very similar to yours. The pigments must be the cause???

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's looking very tasty Tim. Lovely paint job. Interesting that you found these acrylic lacquers to have variable sheen when dry. I have found just the same with MRP paint which I think is very similar to yours. The pigments must be the cause???
To be honest Jim I have found that issue with most paint with blue pigment in it. Reds are similar as well. Glad you like the paint job though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
That is looking very nice indeed. The paint on the gun turret is superb.
Very kind Scottie. That’s the sort of job that mask sets were made for :thumb2: The interior colour trick is easy, spray the turret with the interior colour, then overspray it with the exterior colour……one shows inside and the other outside…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That Torpedo needs a 'dogs' on it's own.. bloody lovely..(the rest of the bits are ace as well)
Very kind indeed Chris. Funnily enough, out of all of it the torpedo was probably the one bit that went without any issues…..extremely easy paint job as well. Black primer, mid grey then wet brushed with lighter grey for the warhead. Then steel metallic overlayed with a wet brushed coat of magnesium. Still got to do the props in bronze yet….

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wow!!... and WOW again!!:flushed:
That's looking superb Tim, fantastic job ... and not far from "Done" now eh?!!:thumb2:
As I've said previously, it's been well worth the wait, top,TOP, stuff mate :cool: