Tim’s Hobbyboss 1/48 Fleet Air Arm Avenger MkI

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow!!... and WOW again!!:flushed:
That's looking superb Tim, fantastic job ... and not far from "Done" now eh?!!:thumb2:
As I've said previously, it's been well worth the wait, top,TOP, stuff mate :cool:
Nope, not long hopefully. A session of detail painting on the airframe, some minor weathering, then trying to put it together without breaking anything (again)…….probably about a week I think…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
At last, it’s done…….
Here are a couple of shots. I’ll try and get some decent ones done and post them soon. No weathering on this. Two reasons…..I can’t see much on FAA photos, and to be honest, I want it done!
One other comment, this would not have been wing ordnance loaded when folded, even though I’ve done it that way. The wing folds the wrong way! I didn’t twig this until I’d started putting the wing on……
Noradioaerial either. The strut is simply too weak to cope with it. It’s a butt joint and has now been stuck back on five times already….

34EC96EB-E5D8-4BE7-8F52-1AA123B6CB23.jpeg
959D0723-E2F3-4D61-BB37-E930544CF533.jpeg
Anyway….here she is …..

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
At last, it’s done…….
Here are a couple of shots. I’ll try and get some decent ones done and post them soon. No weathering on this. Two reasons…..I can’t see much on FAA photos, and to be honest, I want it done!
One other comment, this would not have been wing ordnance loaded when folded, even though I’ve done it that way. The wing folds the wrong way! I didn’t twig this until I’d started putting the wing on……
Noradioaerial either. The strut is simply too weak to cope with it. It’s a butt joint and has now been stuck back on five times already….

View attachment 488277
View attachment 488278
Anyway….here she is …..
Hi Tim,
Well,the SLOG has come to an end eh?! Despite all of the "woes" along the way I reckon that's come out very nicely indeed mate:thumb2:
It's funny how, just because of the different camo scheme,it looks almost a completely different aircraft to my U.S. version:thinking:.
Having the wing folded makes for an interesting "twist" too,(I'd have no idea if it was folded the wrong way or not :tears-of-joy:).
All in all, cracking build, and blog Sir :cool:.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim,
Well,the SLOG has come to an end eh?! Despite all of the "woes" along the way I reckon that's come out very nicely indeed mate:thumb2:
It's funny how, just because of the different camo scheme,it looks almost a completely different aircraft to my U.S. version:thinking:.
Having the wing folded makes for an interesting "twist" too,(I'd have no idea if it was folded the wrong way or not :tears-of-joy:).
All in all, cracking build, and blog Sir :cool:.
Cheers Andy

Yep, finally there…..agree ref Camo as well. Compared to other nations I always think British WW2 Camo is quite old fashioned compared to other countries, especially later in the war. It seems to make the aircraft look older than it is.

The wingfold is modelled correctly Andy, it was a fantastic design for a carrier aircraft. This issue is just that I didn’t take on board the underside of the wing folded against the airframe, so storing or loading missiles there is very difficult.

By the way, the aerial strut is now being stuck on yet again, I knocked it off again taking the pictures……:sad::sad::sad:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a cracking result Tim. I appreciate you've had issues along the way but the completed model is testament to your patience and skill. The wing fold does indeed look fragile.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's a cracking result Tim. I appreciate you've had issues along the way but the completed model is testament to your patience and skill. The wing fold does indeed look fragile.
Hi Jim, thanks for the kind compliment.
Funnily enough, the wingfold is strong enough to hold the aircraft by. There is a very clever socket arrangement that goes in the ends of the wing to locate the wing. It didn’t fit without a lot of filing, but it’s very clever nonetheless. It’s all the other sticky out bits that are the problem. The long pitot on the starboard wing and the aerial mast are good examples. They are butt jointed so have no shear strength whatever. The missiles are located with very shallow pins as well so are pretty much butt jointed…..