Tonys Korpak 1/72 polikarpov po2 L

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have to keep reminding myself that this is 1/72!
Great detail work Tony :thumb2:

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like it chris doesn't it , its the attachment for the rudder cables , cheers tony
Now you mention it its a bit big isnt it , I was trying to replicate the kit part but it was an unrecognisable blob ! After looking at some reference photos I think I’ll make it a bit smaller

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Primed this yesterday - halfords rattle csn - so today I got the first coat of colour on . The instructions say signal red , so ive just used a generic scarlet red . There are virtually no photos of this aircraft ( actually I havent found ANY !) and what there are of similar aircraft are always in black and white . So the upshot is whatever shade of red i choose is ok ! IMG_3544.jpegIMG_3545.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Primed this yesterday - halfords rattle csn - so today I got the first coat of colour on . The instructions say signal red , so ive just used a generic scarlet red . There are virtually no photos of this aircraft ( actually I havent found ANY !) and what there are of similar aircraft are always in black and white . So the upshot is whatever shade of red i choose is ok ! View attachment 500416View attachment 500417
Might be the pictures Tony, but that looks more pink than scarlet ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Might be the pictures Tony, but that looks more pink than scarlet ;)
Its only the first coat tim and the vallejo red can be a bit transparent when thinned . Normally i would undercoat with white for a solid red but didnt bother this time as i didnt want it too bright .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve had Carmine red turn dull purple over a grey undercoat so that’s quite good coverage Tony :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Second coat now on and its beginning to take on a better colour . Next job once its cured is a coat of gloss and decals , the top wing will be going on after decalling and final matt coating - one because it makes painting easier and two because i wouldnt be able to unmask the canopy easily once its on . The engine has now been painted up and had an oily black wash to highlight the cylinders . IMG_3551.jpegIMG_3552.jpegIMG_3560.jpegIMG_3559.jpegIMG_3558.jpeg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After two coats of gloss ( Klear) saturday I got the decals on tonight .The placement instructions consist of two pictures on the box , not exactly comprehensive ! I was a bit apprehensive as they looked very old but they were quite strong . I laid them on a bed of wet Klear ( johnsons not Humbrol) to try and minimise silvering as they had a large area of carrier film , plus this helps to pull them down into any detail . I’ll see if it needs any further attention with decal solvents etc once its dried down tomorrow IMG_3561.jpegIMG_3563.jpegIMG_3564.jpegIMG_3565.jpegIMG_3566.jpegIMG_3567.jpeg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Still with you here Tony. The red finish came out.....well, really red! I guess you couldn't lose that bird in a blizzard...Decals look like they went down fine too. You really know how to spruce up an old 'Easty Beasty' kit and your motor work shows that well, Sir...

Prost
Allen

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Quick little straw poll for you — the tiny colour picture on the box shows the propeller painted red same as the airframe , this just seems a bit weird to me . I know the props on these were wooden and frequently painted camo colours ( green , black and even overpainted with winter whitewash ) but I cant picture a red propeller !? What are your thoughts guys ? Do i do it red or just black or even varnished wood ? , bear in mind the polar conditions it had to endure too .
Yours - confused of Sheffield

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If they were whitewashed or black, or painted in camo, then why not red? Come to that, whatever you pick nobody is going to know better ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Going to paint it red and see what it looks like , I can always overpaint it if it looks weird , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its now had a couple of coats of varnish to seal in the decals so next up is to start the rigging . Im going to do as much as I can before fitting the top wing, so that means the undercarriage , cabane struts and rudder and elevator cables . Once the wing is fitted theres just the cross bracing and aileron connecting wires to add .
I’m using 0.15 mm bait elastic ( from any fishing supplies or ebay ) which comes a white colour . I colour it silver by holding it under the tip of a silver marker pen and pulling it through . Dividers are used to get the distance needed then its cut slightly shorter so it has to be stretched a little to ensure its taut once glued. The good thing about this stuff is that once its touched to a drop of CA it sticks very quickly , only needing holding in place a few seconds . Heres the first two wires . IMG_3577.jpegIMG_3579.jpegIMG_3580.jpegIMG_3578.jpeg