First Name
Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
another fantastic choice of subject vaughan, i must admit ive been tempted with this one a few times, usually the us navy boxing. Ive seen it built and it makes a cracking model, keep up the good work , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
A nice change from the usual 109/190/Spitfire fighter builds.I will be watching this one with interest.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave

I thought it would be nice to do something different maybe not a popular choice, I would normally stick to WWII aircraft. This one sort of fits into this bracket albeit this particular version didn't actually see service until WWII finished. There are plenty of reference photos and walk arounds which will help with the build. Weathering maybe tricky as it is one solid colour throughout but I will have a go.

Vaughan

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Vaughan. Smashing start so far. Does this one come with a clear cowling? If so, are you going to leave it clear and show off that wonderful engine? I thought with my F8F-1 that I'd maybe try and cut out one of the panels on the cowling, but that's a big risk for me 'cos I might ruin the kit if it all goes pear-shaped.

Gern

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave

Yes it does come with the clear cowling but I'm going to opt to paint it.

Vaughan

T

-tmm-

Looking good so far. I never made a Bearcat when I originally started modelling, so your build has tempted me to have a go at one on my return. Looking forward to how this turns out!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

A little bit of progress today. I decided not to use the distributer ring that came withe kit as it seems to me to be out of scale( see reference photo). So I opted to use a piece of lead wire as this would be more in proportion. I have also added some ignition wire to run from each cylinder head this is also made from lead and painted black. The engine components had to be clamped together after the final dry run.

Vaughan

View attachment 37191

View attachment 37192

View attachment 37193

View attachment 37194

_MG_0012.jpg

_MG_0014.jpg

_MG_0019.jpg

bearcat-engine.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

The engine is complete and weathered. Bulkhead fitted with inlet manifolds, it had to be dry fitted to the fuselage halves to ensure that they passed through the wing roots. I also tried the engine cowling in situ all that hard work and you can't even see it!. I had sprayed the cowling a while back as this was made from clear plastic and I was unsure about how the paint would take. Next I will make a start on the cockpit area.

Vaughan

View attachment 37360

View attachment 37361

View attachment 37362

View attachment 37363

View attachment 37364

View attachment 37365

View attachment 37366

_MG_0045.jpg

_MG_0049.jpg

_MG_0051.jpg

_MG_0056.jpg

_MG_0057.jpg

_MG_0058.jpg

_MG_0061.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks very nice indeed.

My dad flew a version of the Bearcat in training at Kingsville,Texas,in 1953. He had nearly 50 hours on the type. I've got the Bureau Numbers in his log book and really ought to build one. I'll hopefully be inspired by yours.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It is such a pity to lose all the detail you've put into that engine! I've said I might remove a panel off my cowling - very risky for my limited skills - but I wonder why Trumpeter didn't make a seperate panel to give you the choice? I don't think the extra cost would be a deal breaker for most folks interested in this airplane.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant job on the engine vaughan, as dave says its a real shame to hide it, but i have to agree with you on the clear cowling, it would just look strange, much better to have an open access panel - a la dave! . keep it up mate , its looking great . cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks brilliant. But I have to agree with the others. To hide that engine is a crime !

Colin M.....

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Colin

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you that it will be a shame to cover all that hard work and time spent on the engine. I think what I will do is glue the inspection hatches before the main cowling as there's not a great deal to see as the inlet manifolds obscure most of the detail. But I will not glue the main cowling in place and leave the propeller removable so at least you can see the main engine.

Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Just back from a weeks hols in France so I thought I better carry on with the cockpit area. Have spent the last hour putting together the PE lap seat belts that came with the kit. But after all that effort they seem to be totally out of scale and would be better fitted to a 24th scale version of the Bearcat. Anybodys thoughts on them? as I'm sure they're not to the correct scale.

Vaughan

View attachment 37715

_MG_0179.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi vaughan, Aye Carumba!! thems BIG belts!! I reckon theyre more like 1/24 like you say or maybe even bigger. Even if you assume the seat is about 24" wide ( it probably isnt even that big) the buckle is about 1/3 the size ie. 8 inches wide!!! If i were you i'd get a set of eduard or similar and keep these in the spares box for when you scratch build something in 1/20 scale!! lol cheers tony p.s forgot to say, superb job on the instrument panel and cockpit!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Tony

I have taken your advice and ordered some Eduard pre-painted seat-belts from Hannants.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great progress vaughan, cheers tony