Trumpeter 1/32 Bearcat F8F-1B

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Help pe seat belts

HI All the PE seat belts arrived today from Hannants look great BUT they seem to be the same size as the ones that came with the kit (too big). Have they been packaged up wrong? although the code number suggest they are the right ones. So if some one could give me some advice it would be of great help as the belts cost £8 so I want them to be correct.

View attachment 37950

View attachment 37951

View attachment 37952

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi vaughan, ive managed to find a pic of a bearcat cockpit (although it may be restored, so might not be the original harness) and the lap belts are in fact alot wider than the shoulder ones. Seeing the etched fret in its entirety, the shoulder straps are indeed alot narrower so it may be nearer than we thought, your first pic just showed the lap belts which on their own look very big . anyway heres the link ,see what you think Grumman F8F BEARCAT hope this helps cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Tony

Thanks for the info and link. I will study it in detail tomorrow. On a side note my thread notification via email is not working since the server changed don't know if this is the same for everyone.

Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

I've just spent the last 2 hours putting together the Eduard PE seat belt. The shoulder straps look in scale but still unsure of the lap belts. I opted for the green late version set as this bearcat was practically post war so I think must have used that version.

Vaughan

View attachment 37958

View attachment 37959

_MG_0214.jpg

_MG_0215.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks fine now vaughan, cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Ive missed this one, god i have some catching up to do. Fantastic work, keep it up.

Cheers

Andy

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks guys

I'd got a bit of a sweat on thinking that the belts wouldn't work. Thanks again Tony for the Bearcat link it's going to be really useful.

Vaughan.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good,I agree with Tony that the belts look fine.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Have finally finished the cockpit area and have tried a dry run with engine, battery, radio and bulkheads in the fuselage half. There will be a lot of lining up to do and I'm not looking forward to squeezing it all in. As a distraction I've started on the wing halves, flaps, gun bays and under fuselage fuel tank. This has a seam running around it but this has not been included. So I have used a thin strip of Tamiya masking tape to simulate it. This is the first kit that I have used vallejo surface primer and it seems to be working ok. The images are out of order I never seem to get that bit right.

Vaughan

View attachment 38048

View attachment 38049

View attachment 38050

View attachment 38051

View attachment 38052

View attachment 38053

View attachment 38054

View attachment 38055

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

First Name
Dave
Nice work Vaughan.The instrument panel looks very well detailed.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on great now vaughan, that cockpit looks like it must have been very tight for the pilots of these aircraft, cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

I'm still holding back on putting the fuselage halves together. I seem to always end up with a noticeable seam line and if I fill and sand tend to loose the panel and rivet detail. I know some of you use the Tamiya extra thin cement which I gather is not available in this country and I'm wondering if this type would help. My local model shop sells what appears to be an equivalent but would appreciate anyones tips on this.

Vaughan.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use humbrol liquid poly, It works just as good if you ask me.

I often find it better to use a normal glue, Revell contactor at the moment, and lay a good bead. Thae when you press the parts together, you will get a nice oze of glue. Leave it for at least overnight. The ouze of glue whick is by then hardend can be trimmed of with a new scapel blade and given a light scrape to get the rest.

After a few goes at it you shoud get a near invisible join.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that Ian it's nice to get another slant on things. I did find a thread with images on another forum that used the very thin tamiya cement but it still looked quite daunting and when you've spent a fair bit on a kit you don't want to get it wrong.

Vaughan.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Still putting off joining the fuselage halves together so have been working on the under wing armament. Bombs primed and finished off with olive drab and the rockets white( I presume that they are rockets). Main wing section have been joined I opted to glue the machine gun covers so there is no great detail inside. Wing tips and rudder primed and sprayed deep sea blue.Tail wheel assembly primed and painted aluminium and deep sea blue. Will make an attempt at joining the fuselage halves tomorrow.

Vaughan.

View attachment 38125

View attachment 38126

View attachment 38127

View attachment 38128

View attachment 38129

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is looking well nice thus far! The picture you posted earlier of the half fuselage with all the gubbins looks very good indeed!

The pictures are best sorted after you have them in the post. Look in the preview and if they are not in the correct order, you can drag them around in the area where you actually write the message and then check them out in the preview window. Sorting them in the attachment manager don't work for me either.....

Hope you get the fuselage buttoned up with out to much hassle.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

Well I have finally taken the plunge and joined the fuselage halves it was a bit of a struggle but I got there. Unfortunately I managed to damage the tail wheel assembly, there's no way that you can fit it after the fuselage is joined, but it has been repaired and I will rig up a cover to protect it.

Wing tips have had a coat of klear and the decals applied. I thought it best to do it at this point as the wings will be the raised position. Well that's all for now busy over the W/E so will make a start again next week.

Vaughan.

View attachment 38136

View attachment 38137

View attachment 38138

_MG_0029.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg