trumpeter 1/48 Wellington

First Name
Dave
Thought i would post some photo's of my latest build .It's my first go at a trumpeter kit and i must say i'm very impressed with the level of detail and fit of the parts.My only criticism is that the red on the decals is way too bright.I used replacements from 'Modeldecal for the fuselage codes and the roundels.

View attachment 24884 View attachment 24883 View attachment 24882 View attachment 24881

View attachment 24880 View attachment 24879

View attachment 24878

Now to finish my BF110.

View attachment 31173

View attachment 31174

View attachment 31175

View attachment 31176

View attachment 31177

View attachment 31178

View attachment 31179

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks good Dave

F

Fenlander

Nice one Dave, not often the Wellington gets done in 1:48. Much underrated in my opinion.

First Name
Dave
Thanks everyone for your nice coments.That's what I like about this forum,no 'rivet counters' as you call them.I think we all know what little faults there are with our models and we don't need them pointing out to us.Although I'm open to any coments that would improve my builds.And thanks to whoever sorted my post out (the text and photo's were all mixed together).

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi dave, fantastic job mate! I always liked the welly ever since i had the old matchbox one (green black and brown sprues ,in case you were wondering!!) and i bet it looks mint in 1/48. Top build on a brilliant ,and as graham says, often overlooked and underrated aircraft. cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony.I've always liked the Wellington.Made the old Airfix one a couple of times over the years.I also did the Frog one and finally the Matchbox Coastal comand version.This one was a bit of a bargain.A work mate told me 'Modelzone' discount kits from time to time.So when I was at Lakeside shopping centre with the mrs I had a look.I found this one with £20 off the price.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice one Dave. I've got the Trumpy Mk Ic and if it comes out anywhere near as good as yours I'll be well pleased!

Gern

First Name
Dave
Thanks Gern.Its a really nice kit to build.One thing though.I made the turrets up and left them off until I'd finished the painting and devaluing.Then I found the front turret wouldn't fit in!.I had to cut the bottom off with o razor saw to get it to fit.Doesn't show though.

First Name
Dave
Ref last post -:I meant decaling not devaluing!(bloody predictive text!).

T

treyzx10r

Great build Dave looks choice,do'nt see this in 1/48 must be a pretty big kit .

B

Bunkerbarge

I don't think we see enough of our twin engined bombers and this is an excellent example. Lovely job and a model to be proud of.

C

Caledonia

Hi Dave, lovely job their, I agree with your Trumpeter comments have made a couple of their Jets at 1/32 Scale and whilst the kits are good, their decals are poor in the sense that they often just draw a line to represent text, I have never had a 1/72 Kit which had this. Not good enough; their fairly expensive kits. Well done again. Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A very nice result you've got there. As Richard said we don't see enough of these twin engined bombers so it's good to see a really good one well made.

These Trumpeter kits are definitely improving.

As far as decals go,the wrong colour is the wrong colour! The red of wartime RAF roundels is very often wrong on decal sheets and not just Trumpeter's. I have to say that the decals in my Me262 kit,where colour was not an issue being mostly black and white, were very good.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Trey,

The Wellington wasn't a huge airplane and the kit comes out at about 390mm long and 550mm wingspan. Not too big!

Your Ju 88 is about 300mm by 420mm so how about it?

Gern

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Hi Trey,The Wellington wasn't a huge airplane and the kit comes out at about 390mm long and 550mm wingspan. Not too big!

Your Ju 88 is about 300mm by 420mm so how about it?

Gern
Dave for some reason I thought it was more the size of the He177 . Thanks for clearing that up and again great job !

First Name
Dave
Thanks for all your kind remarks.I fancy doing some more British 1/48 bombers but there arent many kits about.Ive got the Tamiya Lanc but dont fancy doing that just yet.I fancy doing a Hampden so will probably get the Sanger vacuform kit.treyx10r mentioned the HE177.Now i really fancy doing the MPM kit in 1/48.And kit it out with the Germans cruise missile forerunner.Its about £70 so will have to save for that one.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi dave. if you want a 1/48 hampden thats a bit easier than a vac form , fonderie miniatures do one , dont know how much though, and its a limited run jobbie. Heres a link to a build

Handley Page Hampden by Mick Evans (Fonderie Miniatures 1/48) cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Just looked at your Hampden link Tony.It's areally impressive looking model.I will have to get one.Hannants don't list it on their site so I will have to try else where.

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Although I'm open to any coments that would improve my builds.
I'd say you did a fine job on the 'Wimpy' but to be fair its too glossy and needs matting down slightly

and a bit of easy weathering done by dry pastels. Love this Trumpy kit but after three of them...no more !!

cheers.

ian.