trumpeter 1/48 Wellington

First Name
Dave
I agree Ian.I've been using Humbrol matt cote but find it dries a bit patchy.Maybe me but if I spray a heavy coat it drys White in places.So I tend to just give the model a light dusting.As for the weathering I'm practicing on an old kit at the moment before I try it out for real.I did put some exhaust stains on my ME110 though!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Re Humbrol matt cote. You didn't mix/shake it enough. You really need to mix it up 300% then mix it some more. If it clouds, you haven't mixed it enough. Its a known problem and other than that is great stuff.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Yes I've been reading about that on the forum this evening.I use the Revell matt varnish sometimes and that does the same.I'm going to order some of the promodeler washes as I've tried making my own with not very good results.The last bottle of Humbrol matt I bought had separated out and took a lot of elbow grease to mix up again.I intend switching to acrylics in the future but still have around 60 tinlets of enamel to use up first.

I

ian lanc

Dave ! I stopped using Humbrol matt cote because it is totally..... lets say :devilangelfight:

They say its designed for modellers !! more like designed to go white and ruin a perfect model. Don't buy that stuff anymore but buy 'Vallejo acrylic matt varnish', this stuff can be brought as a pre-mixed 400ml aerosol can and goes on beautifully, its about a tenner a can but because it covers so well one can could paint ten Tamiya Lancasters ! You can also buy this stuff un-mixed if you like.

It comes out of the can onto the model which looks 'milky' but dries 100% clear, i've been using it for five years now and won't use anything else, all my Lanc's which are on this forum are painted in Humbrol paints with a Vallijo matt finish.

Vallejo ACRYLIC MATT Spray VARNISH on eBay (end time 04-Mar-11 15:16:50 GMT)

First Name
Dave
thanks for the advice.I intend using Acrylic varnish from now on anyway as i intend to use weatbering washes on my models in future.Ive been doing factory finish paint jobs for years but have been inspired to try weathering by some of the fantastic models ive seen on this forum.I always found the old tinlets of Humbrol matt always dried white no matter how thoroughly i mixed them.I used their satin cote for years because it gave a nice finish without turning white.i will try the Valejo product.Thanks