Trying to have 1/72 fun with the 1940 McClellan- Barclay wacky camouflage schemes.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I can't think where to put this 'cos it isn't really a full build, more an attempt at a weird camouflage. If required, can mods move it please?

McClellan- Barclay was one heck of a bloke. Well worth reading up on.

Please note, the actual aircraft chosen is not intended to be historically accurate in any shape or form. I'm just having a crack at painting this terrific cammo. from 1940 ;)
The aircraft I'm using is the 1/72 Curtiss Tomahawk IIB Airfix 'Starter Set' I chose it simply because its American and I have amassed three of them!

I had intended trying to copy a pattern from the recent 'Camouflage' thread, but decided to do 'Ma own thing', this is proving to be the best way for me to tackle the pattern and the painting.

The aircraft. A nice, easy to build kit. To make painting easier, I've left off all the gubbins. I'll hopefully add all that at the last stage.

Around 14 bits gets you to this. Excellent fit.

P1380418.JPG

P1380419.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I Doubt it, Jim. Thanks for the interest too. ;)

Using those diddy pots of paints, I've brushed on an all over coat of light grey.

This morning I started to mark out the pattern on the wing surfaces using an HB pencil. Totally from my nut.

P1380425.JPG

P1380426.JPG

P1380424.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great project Ron , i remember seeing a Brewster Buffalo done in his crazy camo scheme , very distinctive . What are the colours going to be ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your support Tony.

In answer to your question.....

Today, I've brushed on these colours freehand. This is the first coat, hence the pale appearance. As can be seen from the still visible pencil lines, there will be other colours and more layers of paint added.

I just want to get an overall 'Feel' for the layout of what is proving to be a difficult, but still fun, project / Attempt!

P1380427.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That's what I thought to when I first saw this, Ian...

Great idea for a project Ron and I don't know anything about the guy either. I'll have to check it out. Great start Sir and it looks like there's a touch of Picasso in it too!!!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Despite this thread being light hearted camo patterns and their effectiveness was taken very seriously. Very neatly painted and certainly breaks up the outline of the plane even in it's early pale stage.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Found it , it was done by one of our members - Migrant ( although I think he did this for a magazine article and didnt post it on here ) IMG_3851.jpeg

Trippy stuff ! Maybe mclelland was a frustrated wallpaper designer or just the first graffiti artist !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
B****r!

Later, folks will look at the above Buffalo with correct markings and then at my fictitious effort and probably wonder why I bothered....... ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
B****r!

Later, folks will look at the above Buffalo with correct markings and then at my fictitious effort and probably wonder why I bothered....... ;)
Certainly not ron , yours looks superb already and totally in keeping with his design philosophy , in fact I like your colours better , cheers tony

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
There is no reason to suppose that the US Army wouldn't have tried some experimental camo schemes, in the same way the McClellan-Barclay STRANGENESS was tried by the USN
And for those of you that weren't following the camo thread...
Mclel-Barc buffalo 1 001.jpg
The brown Brewster above is probably equally likely than the blues and greys usually touted, as there's little record of what colours were actually used. Only six 'planes were ever tried in this project

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Now that's a bonkers camp scheme! Liking how yours is looking Ron!

ATB

Andrew