Trying to have 1/72 fun with the 1940 McClellan- Barclay wacky camouflage schemes.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With some camo schemes you get where they're coming from, what they're trying yo achieve

With others it's just 'what the what?"
Like these
I’d say it’s fairly clear what they were trying to achieve here: not hide the plane as such, but make the enemy be confused about where exactly it is, which direction it’s heading, and/or how fast. I suspect it won’t have worked all that well, else it would likely have been a lot more common.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What about me moggle?! ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Thanks for your support Tony.

In answer to your question.....

Today, I've brushed on these colours freehand. This is the first coat, hence the pale appearance. As can be seen from the still visible pencil lines, there will be other colours and more layers of paint added.

I just want to get an overall 'Feel' for the layout of what is proving to be a difficult, but still fun, project / Attempt!

View attachment 505573

Cheers.
Ron

Your version looks fantastic Ron :thumb2:

look forward to seeing more of this :cool:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If I didn't know you don't use masking tape, I'd say you stuck on offcuts at random just so you got some use out of them! (Frugal is the word I'd use. Certainly not mean or stingy!).

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - Didn't that message appear usually half way through programmes like Lassie and Champion the Wonder Horse? Maybe that should go into Dave's list of missing things? - keep up the good work. It's looking great!

PS I wouldn't worry that it doesn't match the drawings. This was experimental after all and I daresay they tried different versions of it. Who's to say yours wasn't one of them?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This guy must have seen the dazzle camouflage applied to ships in WWI......................
s-s-_alloway.jpg
The camouflage system was proposed by the artist Norman Wilkinson, and was applied to many vessels
dazzle camo.png
Purpose was to confuse the course, speed & type of ship - must have taken ages to apply! Haven't seen many ship models painted like this!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Dave (Gern), that's the beauty of just brush painting. I don't need, or use masking tape. When I see the elaborate lengths folks have to go to when using the stuff, I'm glad I don't! ;)

Please keep in mind boys, this is more of an exercise in seeing if I can transfer my sometimes over fertile imagination to the end of a paintbrush onto the aircraft.
In no shape or form are my efforts supposed to be historically accurate. The aircraft I'm using is a load of b*****ks for a start!

Thanks again for your contributions to this thread.

Ron

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I’d say it’s fairly clear what they were trying to achieve here: not hide the plane as such, but make the enemy be confused about where exactly it is, which direction it’s heading, and/or how fast. I suspect it won’t have worked all that well, else it would likely have been a lot more common.
When they were actually tested in the air, the different blocks of colours tended to blur into one greyish shape. As for dazzle patterns on ships, they're LOTS of fun!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Apart from darkening things a tad and a bit of sharpening up of the paintwork, I'm happy with this 'Arrangement' for the main wings and tailplane.

P1380439.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
There are pictures of a P51A in a 'dazzle' pattern on the fuselage and undersides, which was apparently a one-off in 1943. There were a few pre-war three-colour camo experiments too
This P40 can be listed a 'why not' rather than a 'what if'!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Jim, thanks for the nice compliment.
I'm sure it could be masked, but it's so much quicker to simply follow a pencil line....Perhaps, maybe. ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
When they were actually tested in the air, the different blocks of colours tended to blur into one greyish shape.
I’m not all that surprised about that. The shapes seem pretty narrow, which won’t help to keep them visually distinct. This is also usually the major failing of the kinds of “camouflage” patterns you see irregular forces, rebels, etc. apply to their vehicles: lots of little dabs of paint that will just blend together with the background into one colour from a distance.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was going to keep the underside kind'a simple, similar to the Buffalo, but I thought, Nah! So I gave my imagination free rein.

The overall exercise is proving to be a difficult one , but in a perverse sort of way I'm enjoying it. Even if "The shapes seem pretty narrow, which won't help to keep them visually distinct."

Here is the lower surface of the fighter. Totally off the wall!

Ha! Let's see if the smart a****d ground defences can look up and figure out just what this is and its course, height and speed!

P1380435.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks superb matey , enough to hypnotise any observer! Loving the colours and patterns too ,
Regards Clarice Cliff

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony.

I'm chuffed you approve of this bit of 'Nonsense'. It's good, but a bit tough to do.

Love from the Potteries.
Arthur C. A. Shorter