Typhoon 1b 1/48 Hasegawa

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi kresten,looking great so far mate, we all love a typhoon dont we? keep the pics coming , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I seriously want one of these kits. Looking forward to seeing this built.

Oh and yes Tony i love the Typhoon :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Kresten, yer, I could find my self doing one of those (!)

Whats the kit like? any comments on the build, detail and any problems with it?

Lets hope the new airbrush turns up soon!

M

m1ks

They're a lovely looking plane aren't they, my favourite allied fighter next to the Hurricane, along with the tempest, I think it's the huge air intake that does it for me.

I recently built an Academy 72nd scale one and that's an excellent kit, (I still have it's sibling the Tempest sitting in the pile)

P

Paul1978

Hi Kresten. I actually bought the same model myself the other day but won't be starting it for a while. So i'll definately be following your progress. Looking at your pics so far, your work is impressive.

Cheers

Paul

K

Kressy13

Thanks guys. It truly is an impressive aircraft. Only problem ive found with the kit is the way they have done the fuselage so they can get away with the same molding for the different variants. Bit of a gap to fill their and the lack of rockets under the wing. Apart from that it is really good. All the details are great, nicely engraved panel lines and all the usual stuff. Seat was a bit plain and no harness was provided. Oh well.

If anyone has picture on the weathering of the typhoon they would be greatly appreciated, haven't really found anything.

Cheers

Kresten

ps: still no airbrush :sad:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Kresten

You're building one of my favourite aircraft there!

The build looks to be coming together really well. As you say, care needs to be taken with the upper fuselage inserts to get them aligned properly but you seem to have managed it no problem. I'm actually building the Hasegawa Bubble Top version together with a 1/32 MDC resin kit (again of the Bubble top). I've got plenty of reference so I'll have a root through to see if I can find some good shots for weathering.

Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Cheers

Paul

K

Kressy13

Hi Paul. Your right it is a little annoying but a little dry fitting and it will come up fine. They sound like good builds too. Thanks for that mate.

Cheers

Kresten

F

Fenlander

One of those classic looking 'killing machines' isn't it. Be interested to see how this comes together, nice one.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Kresten as for your request about weathering. It's a low level ground attack fighter. You can do as much or as little as you want. They received quite alot of damage due to AA and small arms fire so paint wear and new paint applied (to cover battle damage repairs) were common place. Also they were heavily used giving little time for overhauls should they survive that long. Exhaust staining would of been high due to the amount of time flown at full throttle when on attack runs.

K

Kressy13

Hi Paul

Thanks for the photos mate. These will definatly help.

Cheers

Kresten

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape nicely Kresten.

I wish I'd had these pictures when I did my 1/72 Tempest.

Good excuse to have another bash!

Ron

K

Kressy13

Hi guys.

I have masked off the bottom and applied the first of the top colours. Need to mask up the top somehow and spray the dark green.

Cheers

Kresten

View attachment 29244

typhoon 4.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good whats the problem?

K

Kressy13

Hi Ian.

The problem is how to go about masking it off, im just not sure how to go about it.Might try some thin tape and try and bend it into shape. Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Kresten

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You will probably get those who use it telling you to do it with blue-tak. Personally I either freehand a camo if the scale is on the large side, or I will use a 1:1 (to the kit scale not full size duh) drawing and cut masks out of tamiya masking tape for the smaller scales. Tamiya do half the work for you with a scale plane ready to cut masks to.

If its the strips on the bottom of the wing I would just go for the masking tape and hope that the bits you need to mask are flat!

The Typhoon is looking great but the way.

K

Kressy13

Thanks Ian.

I would normally freehand the camo but my airbrush has been acting weird, not sure what im doing wrong. It is spraying what seems like dried paint arounf the outside of where im painting so i dont get a nice even line, more of a splatter. It is really getting annoying. lol. I would need a rather large yard for a 1:1 scale drawing. LOL.

Cheers

Kresten