Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thanks Ian.I would normally freehand the camo but my airbrush has been acting weird, not sure what im doing wrong. It is spraying what seems like dried paint arounf the outside of where im painting so i dont get a nice even line, more of a splatter. It is really getting annoying. lol. I would need a rather large yard for a 1:1 scale drawing. LOL.

Cheers

Kresten
Do a full strip down clean. Dont forget the needle guard! Also check the needle. Carefully take it out and draw it backwards and twist it at the same time on the back of your hand or inside forarm: somewhere where the skin is soft and sensitive. It might be that you can feel a slight scratch which would indicate that the end of the needle has gotten a knock. If there is a bur or rough bit its not the end of the world. First try just cleaning it in some thing like cellulose thinner. some thing that will thin/remove all paints, no matter how hardened they are. I use Xylol which can remove six week old acrylic from my desk like it was never there!!!

If that dont help, find the finest wet and dry you can find. And I mean fine. finer than 1000! give it a good blob of spit and very gently twist and draw the needle back. You should hardly be touching the wet and dry. You should feel/hear when the bur toches the paper. I give no gt with this advice and if you go at it to hard, you could bugger the needle. I have done this a few times and its worked every time.

Hope you sort it out.

Just had a thought, its no so simple a thing that the paint is just to thick and the air pressure to low? that to can cause gritty paint! Basicly the paint is drying as it leaves the nozzle.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very good advice from Ian above. I'd just add that it is worth checking the nozzle as well. It's best to use some kind of magnifier to check that it hasn't been biffed or ,more likely in this case,split.

I'm not sure what airbrush you use but many have holes or channels for the air to pass through (for example in the head cap of my IwataCS). If these are blocked it will impede the air and cause an effect similar to that you describe.

Steve

F

Fenlander

Another thing to add to the above, what temperature is your paint at? If you are indoors, not so bad but if paint is stored in a shed or something, it could be that the cold weather is upsetting it. I spray in the shed but all my paints are in a carry box stored in the house.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Being in Brisbane I dont think the cold is a problem at the moment, More like the paint drying to quick in the heat. :laughing:

I thing I have found very usefull for a good clean up are the small brushes you can buy in the chemists for cleaning between your teeth with. Several firms make them, those I use are from Ekulf (you can see them here www.Ekulf.com and look under mellemrumsborster!!!) and can be had with different thickness wires, but are all the same lenght. These are just long enough to go almost right through the front of the airbrush after the tip is removed that is.

Try them. I can do my normal cleaning run and think I have a clean brush. A couple of drops of solvent ad a quick scrub with one of those brushes and the brush comes out "rather dirty".

B

Bunkerbarge

Ian, you may well have a very good point there. In very warm and dry conditions the paint could actually be drying before it hits the surface of the model. You could try a slightly thinner paint or spraying in a slightly cooler environment if you have one.

K

Kressy13

Thanks a lot guys. I will try and up the pressure and see how that goes as it is a brand new airbrush. If that doesn't work I'll try thinning a bit more. The coldest it gets here at the moment is 19C. Lol. Well I'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Kresten

K

Kressy13

Thanks a lot guys. I will try and up the pressure and see how that goes as it is a brand new airbrush. If that doesn't work I'll try thinning a bit more. The coldest it gets here at the moment is 19C. Lol. Well I'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Kresten

K

Kressy13

Cheers

Kresten

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What paints and thinner are you using. It may be that a drop of an acrylic retarder in the paint cup is worth considering. I use Xtracrylix paints,thinned with water, and always add a retarder.

Cheers

Steve

J

JFJ

Hey Kresten,

Nice job on the plane. Think you will do it more justice than I do my 177 :smiling3:

Adrian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh, only 19c, take 25c off and thats what I'm stuck with.

K

Kressy13

Hi guys. Firstly sorry about the posts. My computer had a spaz attack. Lol. You can keep that Ian. I was in Denmark for Xmas a few years ago and it was bloody cold. Anywho, I use tamiya acrylics and thinners cuz their the easies to find here. Don't know what your talking about Adrian. Your 177 is looking great.

Cheers all

Kresten

K

Kressy13

Hi guys.

Well all the painting is done so far. Turned out alright. Time for a gloss cote and decals. On that if anyone uses future here can you please tell me what you use to clean your airbrush afterwards.

Cheers

Kresten

View attachment 29352

typhoon 5.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
To clean Future/Klear from my airbrush I shoot a couple of cups of a very dilute ammonia solution through it followed by my normal airbrush cleaner. In the UK you can buy ammonia solution for oven cleaning etc but it is way too concentrated. If you can bet a similar product down under dilute it at least 15/1 before using it in your airbrush.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
dilute with 15 parts water Steve?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
dilute with 15 parts water Steve?
Yes, the stuff I bought was fairly concentrated. It's called "Kleen Off" and goes under the Jeyes brand. I was many,many years ago trained as a chemist but I can't find any indication of it's actual strength. For any fellow chemists I was looking for some kind of molar concentration. I just took a whiff,decided it was pretty strong and diluted it very roughly 15-20/1 with water. You can still just about smell ammonia but it's not like smelling salts and it still removes Klear.

Ammonia solution is pretty corrosive stuff and I can't imagine that a concentrated solution will do any parts of your airbrush (including the chrome!) any good at all. Once I've run my dilute solution through I make sure I flush it all out with my regular airbrush cleaner and then water.

I've pretty much given up spraying Klear now. I find it works just as well brushed on with a good flat,soft brush. I clean my "Klear" brush with a quick swish in the solution followed by a good rinse in water.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Kresten

That Typhoon is starting to look the part - great job on the camo! I'm still applying rivets to my 1/32 Tiffy and the 1/48 Hasegawa kit is on hold for now waiting for it's bigger brother to catch up!

Looking forward to the finished Jabo and hopefully it will have some friends shortly to attack those Normandy ground targets.

All the best

Paul