Under Construction: ME Bf109E

M

Mike

So, I've been back doing this for a couple of small models now and tried to learn something new with each. Except filling, that seems to be a PIA and looks horrible because the Humbrol product that was at the local shop doesn't seem to be particularly easy to manipulate and I don't have sufficiently smooth enough sanding equipment. No problem though, I picked up a 1:48 scale box with two planes in it which is new tooling, so there shouldn't by much need for filling - I can get on with the other stuff I've learned!

http://www.airfix.com/aircraft/1-48-scale-military-aircraft/supermarine-spitfire-mkvb-messerschmitt-bf109e-dogfight-doubles-gift-set-1-48.html

Didn't think it worth putting a picture of the sprues up, I'm sure everyone's seen an Airfix Bf109 before! Not a lot of flash, looks pretty good, no complaints at all!

So, this isn't a gift set, so I'm using my own paints. This is genuinely the paint instructions for the cockpit and pilot:

Lesson learnt here was that if the pilot comes with separate arms, paint them first, then glue - it's a lot easier that way, anywho I have a tiny brush now so that's not a bad effort.

The black though, how dull is that?!?!? I've heard of this dry-brushing thing, let's whip out the Silver and give that a go:

Better, but still pretty dull. Anyway, I'm not going to fuss about this one as this is just practice for the Spitfire also in the box! On to putting the plane together

Ar$e. This did not fit well at all, one wing in particular has a HUGE gaping hole on both the upper and lower parts of the wing and any attempts to file down is making it worse! Out comes the filler... This time round I used some liquid poly to properly thin this down, so much I could use a brush to apply, the result is better than my previous attempts, but I know it won't be great as I cannot get a smooth surface as a result.

Anyway, all filled - now the fun bit - AIRBRUSH!!! Firstly, everyone does a pre-shader - or black lines as it turned out to be!

I never got the point of this step, and as you can see, I need more practice as I cannot draw a straight line! Anyway, I painted a white stripe at the back and then I saw what the point of pre-shading was, it doesn't come out on a photo, but there's a "depth" created by the colour underneath, very subtle but noticeable.

Underside painted, the depth again works really well with the panel lines, as does having a airbrush I can control! This is now drying. Which leaves me to the paint instructions:

There are only two colours, which is nice and easy, but it's not a solid line between the two, it's some kind of jagged edge, nice effect, but I'm not sure how to do that. I have some Maskol, so was thinking of the following two options:

1. Lay out masking tape on a table and use a scalpel to create the effect and put that on the plane.

2. Lay down a flat line of masking tape and use a hairy brush and Maskol to create the effect instead

And then airbrush the colour over the top. What would you do to get that effect?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd suggest using your method number 1.

That uneven demarcation is very unusual on an aircraft painted with this tropical scheme. It was usually a pretty straight line though the actual position and 'sharpness' of the demarcation did vary depending on where it was applied. I'm intrigued enough to try and find photos of this aircraft. Presumably Airfix based that profile on photographs.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Et voila!

The tropical camouflage may well have been applied locally over the earlier European version or it might have been repaired, which might explain the rather crude demarcation. Just a guess I haven't looked into the history of the aircraft.

Krahl had an illustrious career in the Luftwaffe. He served as a bomber pilot with the Legion Condor in Spain before transferring to JG 2 in 1940. He scored 19 victories, including several Spitfires, all in the West.

His last victory was a Spitfire on March 10th 1942. He was killed in action shortly afterwards on 14th April 1942 when he was shot down by AA fire during a low level attack on Luqa airfield, Malta.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

Ah ok, so it is that odd looking "let's just slap the paint on quickly, don't bother with a ruler lads" style paint job? Hmm, ah well...!

The Spitfire in the box also has a chap with an illustrious career, can't remember his name, but his surname was Duke! After a successful career during the war he went on to be a successful test pilot, there's a stand that comes with this for both planes, it's quite a nice touch and learning about the histories is quite good.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Neville Duke.

A google will surely throw up plenty of stuff on him. I read 'Test Pilot' his autobiography many years ago, I'm sure it is still available. He died not long ago I think.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
2007, at the ripe old age of 85 (I did a bit of Googling!!)
Good for him. He was one of the celebrity test pilots of the 1950s.

I remember being told that he had passed away but didn't realise it was seven years ago. Time flies.

Cheers

Steve

M

Mike

Option 1 it is!

Question; the easy thing to do would be to rip some tape in half and let nature do it's thing, here's some tape done like that against the Spitfire body as an example (the Bf109 is drying after a respray):

Do you reckon this is a good enough effect? I'm in two minds, but seems to be a quick and simple solution. My concern is that whilst the airbrush will easily go over this, it won't all stick as I'll lose stickiness this way - I fear it'll streak a bit into the tape, which might actually make the effect better

As you can see, I'm in two minds... This going to work do you reckon?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having seen the photo that Steve posted of the real aircraft. I could be tempted to go with the liquid mask! (just to be contrary you understand).

The ripped tape could work but you also risk that fibres from the rip, will get trapped in the paint. Underbleed, where the paint creeps under the tape can be avoided simply by spraying the bottom colour again over the masks edge, that way any creases that cause creep, will be the same colour...

So its test time. Mix up some paint, and find something to paint. beer can, wife's laptop, what ever, but not the cat. Cats and masking tape = bloody arms... Try both methods and see which one works best.

Ian M

M

Mike

Good shout Ian, I tried this twice with what I had to hand (literally) and spray primer. I used a spray can as it was going to be pretty fluid so if that was going to creep under the tape, it would!

Whilst that's a spot on effect, I've no idea if it bled under the tape as twice it pulled the grey primer away!! I think I'm going to risk it and see what happens, if it does bleed I can rectify with a hairy brush. I am planning to weather over the top so think I might be able to get away with mistakes.

Will use a high pressure on the airbrush too so that hopefully the air blast gives a higher chance of drying on contact as I'm using Acrylics

Last edited:
M

Mike

Well, ripped tape and masked:

And painted. Although this is the first time I've used this paint and it was frankly impossible, used two airbrushes with gravity and bottle feed and neither were spraying no matter how much I thinned or played about with pressure. I am thinking I need to use Valejo Air if it's as magic as it seems (drop into cup and go).

Now, all I can do is wait...

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Your lucky if you got a new tool spit Vb , I got the dogfight double Vb and 109 g and they were both old toolings , I wasn't happy , you can tell new tool , they have sunken panel lines and a lot less flash and burr,

M

Mike

Holy crap it sorta worked

The white stripe needs touching up, as do the wings and stabilisers as there's this horrible ghosting effect:

But I reckon a brush applied coat thinned with water should sort that right out. Then a Gloss coat, then decals

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good, could. I just say i would not spray on kitchen towel, it is full of loose fiber's, which could get blown onto your paintwork.

M

Mike

Ooh, good shout Mr Nuts, I hadn't considered that! This is particularly crappy kitchen towel too not much use for anything now

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Your lucky if you got a new tool spit Vb , I got the dogfight double Vb and 109 g and they were both old toolings , I wasn't happy , you can tell new tool , they have sunken panel lines and a lot less flash and burr,
I don't think there is a new tool Airfix 1/72 Vb Spitfire yet. That one looks like the old tool, trusty and accurate but lacking the recessed lines. Still a nice kit, I'm doing one at the moment.

Michael, that paint job came out not too bad mate, bit of touching up and I think you will have it nailed. Good work.

M

Mike

Yeah, turns out I actually bought this:

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/airfix-a50014-dogfight-double

Certainly explains the shocking fit with the wings. White patches have been touched up, the brown is just drying before I fix a couple of patches of blue. Frankly I'm over the moon with the filled in wing gaps, wish I'd taken a before photo now...

Won't be able to get decalling tonight it would seem still drying...!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I don't think there is a new tool Airfix 1/72 Vb Spitfire yet. That one looks like the old tool, trusty and accurate but lacking the recessed lines. Still a nice kit, I'm doing one at the moment.Michael, that paint job came out not too bad mate, bit of touching up and I think you will have it nailed. Good work.
Yes I agree joe the one I got was old tool