Under Construction: ME Bf109E

M

Mike

\ said:
I just say i would not spray on kitchen towel
Because of this by any chance?

Those white specs are kitchen roll that's dried into the paint. This was a proper bitch to get out and I don't think I'll ever be happy with the results underneath so definitely lesson learnt, thank you!

So the brown earth paint has proper ruined two airbrushes and took an absolute age getting right with a hair brush. I'm hoping it was just a bad batch of paint it was that bad, nothing I could do made it right with air or hairy brush. Never had that problem with paint before, there'd usually be a fundamental mistake I made, but there was nothing to make it right. So after 5 coats of water thinned applications that meant the shallow panel lines and pre-shading were no longer visible, I finally gave up moved on with the build.

Here's where I am now:

I'm happy enough that I have an even colour on the wing, but it's worse to the eye. I'm planning on desert style weathering so I don't think it's all that bad as I can probably mask the mistakes. The wing gaps are looking better now than before, so that's good too. I cannot believe how many decals this model has though, this is barely halfway through the decal process!

Still finding this new found hobby a good challenge, and good fun!

I would like to know what people use for filler though as with the flash on this photo, all the join lines are visible. It's not as bad to the naked eye, but I would like a better filler, something thin enough to use the magic that is a capillary action would make life a lot easier. Are there any products you can recommend?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good once a bit of weathering and pin-lining will look great, ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very good. I normally pre-shade and then often loose the pre-shade under the top coats ! But not too worry, your old friend post shade can save the day.

Vallejo do a 'plastic putty' which can be smoothed with a wet finger / cotton bud etc. Very easy to use. Great for wing roots.

M

Mike

OMG THESE TINY FECKING DECALS ARE SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!

All those little red line things are doing is highlighting that the black exhaust bits were hand painted and it wasn't with a steady hand! GRR

M

Mike

\ said:
Vallejo do a 'plastic putty' which can be smoothed with a wet finger / cotton bud etc. Very easy to use. Great for wing roots.
Sounds perfect! I shall have a Google!

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good sorry about the paper toweling wish I'd mentioned it before your trouble. Still looks like you've got over it.

M

Mike

I mean seriously, did they have to number EVERY BLOODY PANEL LINE?!?!?

As you can tell, I'm rather frustrated. I was hoping to come home and give my first ever attempt at weathering a go, only a couple of decals were left I thought...!!!!

M

Mike

OMG, Stona has been kind enough to point out privately that my tiny decals on the nose are upside down. Having zoomed into the photo, I can see that the decal underneath the bloody exhaust is also upside down! These decals are so tiny that I cannot tell! Now I've taken a photo, I can see so many decals are upside down now!!!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Super heavy weathering will ensue, it's our secret guys ;-p

D

Deleted member 3568

Well you seem to be winning,so you're not going to buy the full decal set then .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'll be honest. Sometimes I look at the really small decals - and just don't bother. Who will know........................

M

Mike

I've just found some of the rear ones are upside down too!

But you cannot read it at all with your eyes, these are impressive in their detail it has to be said. Just frustrating!

D

Deleted member 3568

I put three on the ju87 and with the dark paint and them being so small you can't see them so won't be bothering on the other side.

M

Mike

Right, I'm decalled out now. Like literally, run out of decals...

I still need to put the propeller on, the undercarriage as well, though that's planned to be in a flying configuration as there's a useful stand. I also need to do the canopy...

Man alive this hobby need patience!! Unfortunately, I'm not available until late next week... I really thought this would be a quick build!! You guys must have the patience of saints!

M

Mike

\ said:
Well you seem to be winning,so you're not going to buy the full decal set then .
What??! There's a FULL decal set?! If I had one it might save it....

For bonfire night.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'll be honest. Sometimes I look at the really small decals - and just don't bother. Who will know........................
You are not alone Colin :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Look on the bright side though Mike, the Bf 109 emerging in that final photo is looking like a more than decent job. You are not the first and certainly won't be the last to struggle with tiny stencil decals. I can tell you from personal experience that you're not the first to have stuck some on upside down either!

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Well for one Mike, despite the shortfalls and the decal issues, you have battered this into shape and it looks rather good.

Si:smiling3: