Under Construction: ME Bf109E

M

Mike

Thanks for the support guys, I am getting there. Propeller is ready for attachment now and other extremities added. Unfortunately just as I was about to apply a gloss coat ready for washing, a large decal started to come off.

I managed to recover it and have painted over all decals with some decalfix which is drying now. I'm off to watch the mighty Irish get thumped by the Tigers now so doubt I'll be able to do anything on this today.

I'm a little gutted now this turned out not to be a new tool kit, as there are problems every time I touch this, but it's all good learning

M

Mike

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

It was all looking fine, propeller didn't fit well, but just need to drill the hole a bit better, decals fixed properly and not going anywhere:

All ready for a spot of weathering, needs a gloss coat first. Unfortunately, I came home drunk. And decided to pick up the gloss coat spray can.

It's a bit difficult to see here, but the larger black decals all seem to have bubbles under them. Is there anything I can do now? There's a gloss coat over the top... I'm tempted to prick them with a pin, but not quite sure that will work?

Help!

D

Deleted member 3568

You could try a pin but you may then find an even worse raised outline round where the bubble was (trust me on this, been there got the t shirt ) there's not much youcan do now it's been coated over, it doesn't look bad I would live with it.

D

dubster72

Mike, any chance that you can re-size your photo's or take smaller one's?

Those of us with slow connections wait an age to see anything!

Cheers

Patrick

M

Mike

Hmm, not sure, it's all cloudified, take photo one camera and it automatically appears on OneDrive.

WHOA!!

3552 x 2000 & 2.2Mb per picture! Crikey, I shall see what cloudy shrink apps there are!

M

Mike

So, after going this long and perservering through way more issues than I was expecting, I threw my toys out of the pram, created a sloppy solution with some weathering powders and then went to town.

Here it is sat next to a 1:72 bf109 which I am happy with:

So, what have I learnt on this build?

Old Airfix kits aren't so good

Old Airfix decals aren't so good

I need better putty

You shouldn't go near a spray can when your drunk

Still, if you haven't figured from my bloody minded perseverance of a god awful Airfix HMS Victory Starter Kit, you can't keep me down. Learn, move on, try something different

I am noting a link here with old Airfix kits and the results I can get out of them. So perhaps, I should try another manufacturer