Vallejo Acrylic Resin Matte Varnish... ARGH!

• Thread starter CharleyGnarlyP290
  • Start date
C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Over the last year or so, I have turned more and more to Vallejo products. I really like everything that I have used of theirs, so far, except for the product mentioned in the title.

For the life of me, I can't get it to spray consistently from my single action Paasche airbrush. The airbrush work like a champ with everything else, but not the matte varnish.

I tried it a few nights ago for the first time with mixed results. It seemed to clog the airbrush really easily. I usually run my stuff through at 15 or 16 p.s.i. It sprays Model Air and thinned Model Color just fine, with the occasional cotton swab (bud) swipe to keep the tip clean. I tried the varnish straight out of the bottle and thinned with Vallejo thinning medium. I tried both with a .3 tip and a .5 tip. I tried both combinations at 15, 18, and 20 p.s.i., but still got intermittent spray, and an easily clogged tip. When I broke the airbrush down, there was a nice glob of the stuff on the portion of the needle where the fluid comes out.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff? The varnish that actually got on the model looks really good and I really would like to use it, but not with these kinds of problems.

First Name
Adrian
I have the same issue with that and the gloss, so much so I binned em and went back to Tamiya Flat Clear/gloss.

I know lots on here have no issues but I can't be bothered to faff around and mix it each time I need it.

Adrian

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Strange charley, I have only used it once for the first model I recently finished. It worked fine, seems like a silly question but did you shake it? I mean really give it a good shake?

Phil

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I don`t use an airbrush. But I do spray Matt coat from a rattle can and it can be a bitch...... The mica in the Matt coat is very inconsistant and needs lots of shaking and mixing...... so that might be your problem........ I find that standing the can in a bowl of hot, not boiling, water for a few minutes helps a lot with the mixing and it sprays much better....... Give that a go.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Like Ade said, bin it and use something else. I have started using Railmatch acrylic varnishes.

First Name
Dave
I've had problems with Vallejo Matt varnish and now use Alclad Matt cote. I get a perfect Matt finish with it everytime.Needs a good shake before use though.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Wow. Lots of great replies. I will hit them in order.

Adrien, Don't give up yet! Through various replies and a little more research, I think the problem (in my case,) is the thinner. I have been trying to use Vallejo's Thinner medium, which, from what I gather, is for their brush type paints, i.e., Model Color. Apparently I should be using airbrush thinner. I am ordering some when I get done here, and I will post my results.

Phil, yes, I shook it like a half-crazed weasel. What kind of thinner did you use?

Takeslousyphotos, good idea on the hot water. It seems that matte-type finishes are the most finicky, and really need to be mixed well.

Rickoshea52, never heard of that one. If the Vallejo thing doesn't work out, I may give that a go. I wonder if it is available in the U.S?

Dave W, is the Alclad pretty harsh in the odor department? I do all of my work indoors, hence my usage of acrylics. I do brush some enamels, but am slowly creeping away from those when possible.

Stevekir, Testors Dullcoat does work great, and up until now the only flat finish I would use. Very consistent... same results every time. But, as I mentioned above, I do all of my work in the house now, so no more stinky stuff.

Thanks for the great, and helpful replies everyone.

D

dougie

I can shake the hell out of my Vallejo primer bottle for minutes and sometimes you can still see it's not fully mixed at the bottom. I will need to put a BB in the bottle I think. Our make a drill operated shaker!

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Wow. Lots of great replies. I will hit them in order.
Adrien, Don't give up yet! Through various replies and a little more research, I think the problem (in my case,) is the thinner. I have been trying to use Vallejo's Thinner medium, which, from what I gather, is for their brush type paints, i.e., Model Color. Apparently I should be using airbrush thinner. I am ordering some when I get done here, and I will post my results.

Phil, yes, I shook it like a half-crazed weasel. What kind of thinner did you use?

Takeslousyphotos, good idea on the hot water. It seems that matte-type finishes are the most finicky, and really need to be mixed well.

Rickoshea52, never heard of that one. If the Vallejo thing doesn't work out, I may give that a go. I wonder if it is available in the U.S?

Dave W, is the Alclad pretty harsh in the odor department? I do all of my work indoors, hence my usage of acrylics. I do brush some enamels, but am slowly creeping away from those when possible.

Stevekir, Testors Dullcoat does work great, and up until now the only flat finish I would use. Very consistent... same results every time. But, as I mentioned above, I do all of my work in the house now, so no more stinky stuff.

Thanks for the great, and helpful replies everyone.
It's not gonna make you feel better but I used it neat! Try thinning with distilled water maybe

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've had a few problems with the stuff as well, and given up on it. So I bought some 'Mig' matt acrylic from the shop here. I've only used it once but it worked really well. Oh yes, it comes complete with its own ball bearing to aid mixing.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I can shake the hell out of my Vallejo primer bottle for minutes and sometimes you can still see it's not fully mixed at the bottom. I will need to put a BB in the bottle I think. Our make a drill operated shaker!
Do you have one of them there alligator saw things.... They can really easily become a first class shaker...

I use the varnish with the airbrush thinners and it works a treat. I have had one that gave my finished build a case of white spot. Which was a pity. Other wise I find it very good.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
........and when you shake it......... make sure the top is tightened on............ a little while ago I gave some dark blue valejo air a good shake half way through using it....... hadn't put the top on properly ............ It made hell of a mess, and "er indoors" was not best pleased. :D

L

Laurie

As said in another thread try Vallejo Polyurethene Acrylic Varnish. It is clear with out that misty look and

is more resilient when the model is handled.

Takes a little longer to dry. Needs no shaking at all.

However never in 7 years had a problem with the Vallejo Varnishes whether mat or gloss (except from a

faulty batch posted from Spain a replacement plus a few other freebies)

Never thin them but I do use a .4 needle/nozzle at 25PSI. It is a bit thicker than model air. If you use

Vallejo flow improver that also is a great help. If you have bits as some do then it must be a faulty batch

or it has been stored incorrectly. That includes in a place where there is great temperature difference

day to night. Email customer care and tell them the problem and see what they say.

Have a large bottle of matt which is about 4 years old and it is in perfect condition.

On the gloss side why not try Humbrol Clear. Works perfectly. It is thin so detail is not lost and you get

a very flat finish. More gloss just repeat coats.

Laurie

D

dougie

\ said:
Do you have one of them there alligator saw things.... They can really easily become a first class shaker...
I use the varnish with the airbrush thinners and it works a treat. I have had one that gave my finished build a case of white spot. Which was a pity. Other wise I find it very good.
A reciprocating saw? Or a ba* saw? I need to look into something though. There is a small shaker on the market but doesn't look fantastic for the money.

\ said:
........and when you shake it......... make sure the top is tightened on............ a little while ago I gave some dark blue valejo air a good shake half way through using it....... hadn't put the top on properly ............ It made hell of a mess, and "er indoors" was not best pleased. :D
Err yeah I had a blue Tamiya paint on brand new oak table moment. IPA to the rescue but it still has a wee tinge in the dark grain. Thank God I pay for all the furniture so I can Argue a bit haha

D

dougie

\ said:
As said in another thread try Vallejo Polyurethene Acrylic Varnish. It is clear with out that misty look and
is more resilient when the model is handled.

Takes a little longer to dry. Needs no shaking at all.

However never in 7 years had a problem with the Vallejo Varnishes whether mat or gloss (except from a

faulty batch posted from Spain a replacement plus a few other freebies)

Never thin them but I do use a .4 needle/nozzle at 25PSI. It is a bit thicker than model air. If you use

Vallejo flow improver that also is a great help. If you have bits as some do then it must be a faulty batch

or it has been stored incorrectly. That includes in a place where there is great temperature difference

day to night. Email customer care and tell them the problem and see what they say.

Have a large bottle of matt which is about 4 years old and it is in perfect condition.

On the gloss side why not try Humbrol Clear. Works perfectly. It is thin so detail is not lost and you get

a very flat finish. More gloss just repeat coats.

Laurie
I keep my paints in the shed which is insulated but has a frost heater as well. I hope that I don't ruin all my paints! It doesn't really get below 5deg in the shed I think

L

Laurie

This is what Vallejo say.

2.6. What is the shelf life of your Model Color paints?

The shelf life depends on the storage conditions. Our colors are

formulated to withstand freezing and thawing. Normally the colors should

be fine for at least 5 years, but we have tested some colors much older

than that (10-20 years) and they are still workable. The colors do not

“spoil” and unless exposed to extreme heat will not dry out either but the

water content will evaporate eventually. Heavier pigment tends to settle,

and the small bottle may cause some difficulty in restoring the balance in

the consistency; if paint has settled heavily, first make sure the eyedropper

tip is not blocked with dried paint, and restore the emulsion by rolling the

bottle between your hands rather than shaking it.

Q&As for Vallejo are here. http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/3125a70282d7ae1b26302b70f227e502/model-FAQS-CC001-rev03.pdf

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
A reciprocating saw? Or a ba* saw? I need to look into something though. There is a small shaker on the market but doesn't look fantastic for the money.
Thats the bugger a reciprocating saw- Take an old blade, and a tube that the paint bottle fits in. Best with a tight fitting lid. stop a bit of foam rubber in the bottom and in the lid. Fix it to the blade with strips and some good builders glue: no more nails is a good one.

Put paint pot in tube put on lid, turn on saw for 30seconds or so. Job done.

( I will in no way be held responsible for damage to floors, walls or ceilingsor any other personal properties and pets due to using this gizmo. but would love to see the photos. PUT THE LID ON TIGHT! )

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Buy a cheap coffee frother from a gadget shop, remove the whisk part and trim the armature for a battery operated paint stirrer.

D

dougie

\ said:
Thats the bugger a reciprocating saw- Take an old blade, and a tube that the paint bottle fits in. Best with a tight fitting lid. stop a bit of foam rubber in the bottom and in the lid. Fix it to the blade with strips and some good builders glue: no more nails is a good one.
Put paint pot in tube put on lid, turn on saw for 30seconds or so. Job done.

( I will in no way be held responsible for damage to floors, walls or ceilingsor any other personal properties and pets due to using this gizmo. but would love to see the photos. PUT THE LID ON TIGHT! )
Awesome, if I come across a saw on offer or a spare one from a mate I'll be on it, if I come up with something else similar I will post it here!