Vallejo Acrylic Resin Matte Varnish... ARGH!

• Thread starter CharleyGnarlyP290
  • Start date
D

dougie

\ said:
Buy a cheap coffee frother from a gadget shop, remove the whisk part and trim the armature for a battery operated paint stirrer.
Laurie uses this trick doesn't he? I've seen it before somewhere else as well. A couple of good options here cheers

L

Laurie

Or simply flip the top off the bottle. Stick a slim piece of metal in the orifice.

Stir slowly, to avoid bubbles in the paint, making sure any dregs in the bottom do not get away.

Replace top and job done. No mess. No electricity. No noise. Very quick.

Ambulance and a Hospital visit averted. Redecoration of room resumes normal timetable.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A bit late now but I just sprayed my little Ju 88 with Vallejo matt varnish. Iwata Eclipse, 0.35mm nozzle, 35 psi, thinned about 50/50 with tap water. It worked a treat.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
Laurie uses this trick doesn't he? I've seen it before somewhere else as well. A couple of good options here cheers
Not now as you cannot get the things in a dropper bottle Dougie.

Also not now. Some time ago, when I was stupid, I had to

stir some emulsion. One of those big cans 2 litre job.

White emulsion.

Thought this is a bore. Use an electric drill. What to use in the electric drill

a nice big Allan key. You can see I thought this out well.

Into the paint switch on. The Allan key end went through the side of the can.

The can caught on the Allan key spun around desperately out of control.

I and the walls floor and ceiling took on a cool white look.

End of that experiment.

Laurie

D

dougie

\ said:
Or simply flip the top off the bottle. Stick a slim piece of metal in the orifice.
Stir slowly, to avoid bubbles in the paint, making sure any dregs in the bottom do not get away.

Replace top and job done. No mess. No electricity. No noise. Very quick.

Ambulance and a Hospital visit averted. Redecoration of room resumes normal timetable.

Laurie
I bought the Tamiya paint stirring sticks. Easy to clean, flat to scrape the bottom of the jars and wipe of easy on the jars so very little paint loss.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I bought the Tamiya paint stirring sticks. Easy to clean, flat to scrape the bottom of the jars and wipe of easy on the jars so very little paint loss.
Agree Dougie they are first class. Both ends being different config. gives flexibility.

I bought 2 a long time ago. Not to stir two at a time. Just if I temporarily lose one I

have the other until I lose that one and find the first. To date I have not lost both

at the same time although I am waiting for this epic event. Keep you posted. :rolleyes:

Laurie

S

Stevekir

Mount an orbital sanded upside down in a vice or something. Securely fix the bottle at one end, parallel to or at an angle to one of the small edges and switch on. (The problem would be the fixing.)

Fix it to the blade of an electric jigsaw.

Or put the bottle in an ultrasonic cleaner (often used to clean airbrushes). But would the ultrasonic waves penetrate the bottle?

Or attach the bottle to a dog's tail and pat it (the dog).

L

Laurie

\ said:
Mount an orbital sanded upside down in a vice or something. Securely fix the bottle at one end, parallel to or at an angle to one of the small edges and switch on. (The problem would be the fixing.)Fix it to the blade of an electric jigsaw. Or put the bottle in an ultrasonic cleaner (often used to clean airbrushes). But would the ultrasonic waves penetrate the bottle?
One minor difficulty Steve we do not have a dog.

Laurie

D

dougie

\ said:
Mount an orbital sanded upside down in a vice or something. Securely fix the bottle at one end, parallel to or at an angle to one of the small edges and switch on. (The problem would be the fixing.)
Fix it to the blade of an electric jigsaw.

Or put the bottle in an ultrasonic cleaner (often used to clean airbrushes). But would the ultrasonic waves penetrate the bottle?

The dog one... The dog one!

D

dougie

The ultrasonic cleaner cavitates but I'm not sure how well it would mix. It's great for removing air bubbles from liquids. Use it for that at work when fluid sampling as our sampler counts air as foreign particles

L

Laurie

\ said:
The ultrasonic cleaner cavitates but I'm not sure how well it would mix. It's great for removing air bubbles from liquids. Use it for that at work when fluid sampling as our sampler counts air as foreign particles
I have a cheap dentists vibrator Dougie............................. No no no not that sort ! :sad: :rolleyes::oops::eek:

View attachment 118641

About 4" across the top. Velcroed the plate and also the underside of a

couple of plastic containers.

Put bottles in the container pop on the vibrating table and vibrate. Not

perfect if the paint is really thick at the bottom. Full pelt it is a bit noisy.

Also use plastic containers full of bird grit. Place in the plastic parts vibrate

away and it takes the shine off all those small pieces which would be

impossible otherwise.

Laurie

m6Y8X3PK8SyntBFai0diKsA.jpg

D

dougie

\ said:
I have a cheap dentists vibrator Dougie............................. No no no not that sort ! :sad: :rolleyes::oops::eek:
View attachment 130257

About 4" across the top. Velcroed the plate and also the underside of a

couple of plastic containers.

Put bottles in the container pop on the vibrating table and vibrate. Not

perfect if the paint is really thick at the bottom. Full pelt it is a bit noisy.

Also use plastic containers full of bird grit. Place in the plastic parts vibrate

away and it takes the shine off all those small pieces which would be

impossible otherwise.

Laurie
That is ideal. Pity only the dentists ones work!

Laurie there are so many things I want to write right now about that 4" vibe but I'll get banned. I have a terrible mind at the best of times and you just fed the monster so I will keep it in check haha

I may buy one, that looks like a great idea mate, best of the suggestions if it works as well as you claim.

I'm going to ask my female dentist about this contraption next time I'm there. I think she will manage to find plenty of filings though haha

C

Cooperman69

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/paint-mixer-trumpeter.html

I find this little gadget for paint mixing is great. The mixing head fits into the Vallejo bottles once you pop off the eye dropper end and when I've been using Vallejo Matt it gives a really thorough mix of the pigments for a consistant coverage. Also works just as well in Tamiya bottles.

Just remember to switch it off or stop it rotating with your finger temporarily before you remove it from the paint being mixed or you can end up with a Jackson Pollock print all over your favourite T-shirt!

Good little gadget and available from Johns shop too.

Cheers,

Colin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think you chaps might be over thinking this a bit :smiling3:

I just give the varnish a damned good shake with a ball bearing in the container. Slosh it into the airbrush thinned with tap water and it seems to work fine for me.

Cheers

Steve

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I think you chaps might be over thinking this a bit :smiling3:
I just give the varnish a damned good shake with a ball bearing in the container. Slosh it into the airbrush thinned with tap water and it seems to work fine for me.

Cheers

Steve
I had very serious paint blockage in my H & S airbrush (which I put down to possibly being because I had previously used Tamiya Synthetic Lacquer paint (thinner is Cellulose Thinners). I had shaken very vigorously. I went to town on decanting some of my Vallejo Model Air bottles (up to 14 months old or so), thoroughly cleaning the bottles then slowly decanting back, watching out for lumps (none actually found). However, despite the thorough washing out of the bottles I found pieces of dried paint skin sticking to the side up to 6 MM long, which shocked me. The tops were always screwed tight. I also use a rattler.