Vallejo Model Air range

Would you like me to stock Model Air range

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't use them

• Wow!! that's great I'll have one of each :)

• Total voters

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm thinking of stocking the whole range of Vallejo Model Air, there is 97 so far, but it would be a big investment on my part, before I decide is it something you would buy? I would be selling them at £1.66 instead of £1.85RRP

I did look at model colour but there's 220 in that range so I think that will have to wait, unless someone want's go pick out the most used :emo5:

D

dm73

Hello John,

I would be very interested in these paints, as i'm just starting out i'm going to need quite a few and have heard good things Vallejo.

Cheers

Darren

F

Fenlander

Tricky one for me as I have had a few issues with Vallejo Model air. Don't get me wrong, they spray very well and are great quality, handy that you don't have to thin them either so it is quick and consistent.

My problem with them is that the names of the colours are weird. If you look at my models of the RAF Mustang and the Revell Spitfire, the dark green on the upper camo is actually Vallejo model air German Uniform Green or the Field grey, I cannot remember which. Whatever, neither of them were any use for painting figures. Don't get me wrong, not all of them have weird names which do not match the colour, but there are a few. The Barley grey is superb and I have used it to spray my Eurofighter and prime at least four other 1:48 kits with still a tiny bit left.

Add to that the Xtracylix which are just superb in both quality and price, I am not sure if another make of the same colours will be appropriate (remember the Lifecolour John). Unless you are planing to drop the Xtracrylix, in which case I would happily use Vallejo so long as I knew it was the right shade.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
No I'm not thinking of dropping the xtracylics I just wanted to add another option, I tried the lifecolor but while think they are a really good paint they just didn't sell for me.

I use xtracylics and have never had any problems with them but wanted to increase products available to people.

F

Fenlander

Fair comment John and the Vallejo does offer a larger and more diverse range. Go for it but consider the basics as well, may be worth stocking black, white and the general everyday stuff like that to. I never have enough black and white.

By the way, finally got around to unpacking the parcel tonight, 11:30. Loads of fun coming up and the DVD is great. I must be really sad as I enjoyed the music lol. Nearly 1:00 am in the UK, I to am off to bed to dream of filters, streaks and rain marks (if I can get the tune out of my head). Thanks again for the great service John.

S

sprayman

Not a big fan of Model air myself, had many reactions with my matting agent,but others do swear by them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not had any doings with model air as I prefer the model color range. So you have to thin them but on the other hand a little bottle goes a long long way. Some of the darker colours can easy go 1:2 or even 1:3 paint:water.

As Graham pointed out the chioce of naming for the colours is odd. Almost funny at times. Also like many other things in the model world there is a strong bias to US and German colours. The guides being either FS or RAL with a fair amount of RLM. A copy of their colour chip book helps a great deal in finding the right colour from the odd names. (The chip book is actually done with the paints and not printed).

I have heard that the metal paints from Model Air are very good with a very fine particle size.

In all a very good range of paints. The primers that they do are some of the best I have tried. They stick like a certain substance to a blanket. To the point that you have to use a solvent for a compleat stripdown clean of the air brush after using them.

Ian M

M

msm2

The ones which I have brought and used I am very happy with so far.Buying more is now down to price and delivery.

Tony..

F

Fenlander

Another thing to consider, is Vallejo sets? There is one that is for weathered wood which looks interesting but that is Lifecolour if I remember. However, Vallejo do Panzer Aces, skin painting (16 colours!)

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Another thing to consider, is Vallejo sets? There is one that is for weathered wood which looks interesting but that is Lifecolour if I remember. However, Vallejo do Panzer Aces, skin painting (16 colours!)
I already have 3 of the RLM sets, personally the problem with sets is you might only need 1 or 2 out of them, at least single bottles you buy what you need.

\ said:
The ones which I have brought and used I am very happy with so far.Buying more is now down to price and delivery.Tony..
£1.66 would be the price and I try to keep delivery costs to a minimum unlike others online stores where you may pay less for the product but they claw it back from you with postage costs, just thinking about it I probably loos money on the postage as I don't factor in costs of packing materials

M

msm2

£1.66 is good value I like to buy in batches of about 5. What sort of price would be the P&P?

Tony..

F

Fenlander

You do need to get the P&P right John, you are a shop not a charity lol.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'd buy them John. I mostly use Vallejo and Tamiya acrylic and have only just started using Xtracrylic paints. I have to admit it's mostly the RLM paints i have but if you had them in then i can assure you of my custom

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
£1.66 is good value I like to buy in batches of about 5. What sort of price would be the P&P?Tony..
Don't know without weighing them, for 5 I would guess £2'ish

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
You do need to get the P&P right John, you are a shop not a charity lol.
I keep tweaking without going over the top

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I would buy if it was £2 for 5 posted.Tony..
I think he ment the postage would cost £2........

Ian M