von Werra's Bf 109 E-4 Completed

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Early in the morning of September 5th 1940. It is a pleasant morning, the forecast is good and JG 3 prepares for cross channel operations.

Hauptmann Franz von Werra, Adjutant of II Gruppe, has walked out to inspect his Bf 109 E-4 and is taking the opportunity to explain to one of his long suffering ground crew how the aircraft received the damage that has had him up half the night replacing the front cowlings.

Simba the lion cub has joined him for an early morning walk and has found something interesting (to a lion cub) in a bucket.

Later this morning von Werra will be shot down, making a forced landing at 10.10.a.m. at Loves Farm, Marden in Kent.

Who shot him down?

AIR 50/18 pages 455 and 456 contains the combat report, dated 5 September 1940, of the pilot who was initially, officially, responsible for the shooting down of von Werra, Flight Lieutenant John Terence Webster of No. 31 Squadron. It is possible that Webster in fact shot down two Bf 109s that morning, neither of which was von Werra. Sadly he was killed on another operation later the same day.

Others believe it to be a shared victory by Pilot Officer George Bennions of No. 41 Squadron who initially damaged Von Werra’s aircraft and Pilot Officer Basil Gerald Stapleton of No. 603 Squadron who finally forced him down.

Some have attributed the victory to Flight Lieutenant Paterson Clarence Hughes of No. 234 Squadron. Eventually the credit went to Stapleton, but Hughes final DFC citation in the London Gazette of 22 October 1940 awarded him a half credit for the same victory

That, gentlemen, is a perfect illustration of “the fog of war”.

Here’s some photos of the early morning scene, before the drama unfolds.

After his capture,by an unarmed cook from a near by search light battery, von Werra was taken to the London District Cage for Prisoners of War in Kensington Palace Gardens where he was initially interrogated.On 7th September 1940 he was transferred to Trent Park, Cockfosters where he was kept for four days before being transferred to Number 1 Grizedale Hall, Satterthwaite Prisoner of War Camp. After trying to make his first escape from this camp on 7th October 1940, he was transferred, on 3 November 1940, to 13 Swanwick Prisoners of War Officers Transit Camp, where he attempted to escape again.

The story of his escape attempts and eventually successful return to Germany are chronicled in the film “The One That Got Away” with Hardy Kruger as von Werra.

At one of the camps a 12 year old boy asked for his autograph and received this reply, dated confusingly the day he was shot down.

Von Werra died on 25th October 1941 when his aircraft disappeared over the North Sea. His body was never found.

The Bf 109 is the superb Cyber-hobby 1/32 scale kit. The figures are by DMM and Simba is actually a cat painted to represent a lion supplied by a friend of SWMBO who makes and decorates Doll's Houses etc. I've no idea who makes it.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for the story behind the model Steve. Excellent build, love the clean lines.

I remember many years ago when the Airfix 24 scale 109 was first released (in the 70's I think) I built it as Von Werra's machine. I was young and have no doubt that my build was no-where near as good or as accurate as yours, specially with the limited knowledge I had at the time.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great one Steve, love these nice and simple dios.

5 well earned stars mate.

Tony.

M

mobear

okay ive now hidden mine in 1/24,it blushed and flew away lol,yours is magnificent 5*s from and a bonus * for kitty,thnx for the show

mobear

P

Pete Mac

Very Nice job Steve. I reckon on about a week to finish mine. Won't have much time until then. I doubt that it will be up to your standard though. What paints did you you use by the way. I'm using Aqueous Hobby acrylics which i find easy to use but not easy to obtain as i'm waiting for John to get some more stocks in. I'll try to pluck up some courage and post some pics when finished. I really like your accompanying narrative too, especially the autograph Pete.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks fellas.

I will eventually open the canopy but its well and truly stuck at the moment and I'm off again tomorrow!

Pete,the model is mostly painted in White Ensign Colourcoats,certainly all the camouflage colours. They do a special Luftwaffe series of paints amongst others.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build Steve, really neat....

Nice bit of history to go with it too. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting it, very interesting.....

A very nice 5* package.

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Nice 109 Steve and a nice bit of history too, lovely paint job.

Scott

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like the rest have said Steve a great build and love the history with it 5 Smacking big stars for you from me

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job steve, and a fascinating story to boot! The 109 looks superb as do the figures, AND -a bucket! nice one! 5 star build, cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Immaculate as always Steve. *****

Gern

PS Are we now supposed to include a bucket with our 'plane builds as well as armour? :lol

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Marvellous work Steve, and great research info to go with it. Simply brilliant.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice work Steve, had to chuckle at Simba with it's head in the bucket. Top build mate, big five.

Have fun, John

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
great model as per usual with the fascinating facts to add to it ..... super stuff rgds lindsey