von Werra's Bf 109 E-4 Completed

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yet another Stona master piece. Well done Steve. A very nice result, there is a figure painter in you as well I see. Love the cub in the bucket nice touch.

Five stars from me as well.

can I ask one thing as I am sure you will give a good reply. The control surfaces on the wings of most of the 109's I have seen, the camouflage rarely extends out onto them and they are painted in the one colour, Why is that?

Great build!

Ian M

T

TonyBv9

Lovely job Steve. Particularly the figures. I like your scene setting for their conversation, but I can imagine the groundcrew thinking "Now we've got to keep a bloody lion cub entertained for a few hours. Why can't he have a dog, like everyone else?"

I remember an RAF veteran saying that he got the impression that the ground crew were only lending him the aircraft for his sortie, but it actually belonged to them.

Tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
can I ask one thing as I am sure you will give a good reply. The control surfaces on the wings of most of the 109's I have seen, the camouflage rarely extends out onto them and they are painted in the one colour, Why is that?

Ian M
I believe it is too keep the control surface balanced. Even the weight of paint could alter this. Distinctive Markings aka Invasion Stripes were not supposed to encroach onto control surfaces for that reason,they did though.

There's a famous picture of a Spitfire AN-V flying over North Africa and the starboard aileron,a replacement,is in the opposite (A/B) scheme to the rest of the wing. They obviously didn't want to repaint it.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ah that makes sense, thanks Steve. I have seen the AN-V picture. Unfortunatly, first after I had built my model of it. So mine represents it before the fix lol.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Steve you continue to amaze! Great background info for an equally great build! Thanks for taking the time and effort to include all the details,cheers Trey