Welcome to Papa695's Bi plane GB. Chat thread

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will just start the ball rolling by saying Well Done to Ian for suggesting this GB. The short time from suggestion to agreed was a pretty good sign of it being a popular suggestion!
It even got me looking in the stash.
Without further a do I will pass this over to @papa 695 and let him fill in the important bits. (Guidelines etc.).

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi everyone, first of all many thanks for all of you that made this GB possible.
The list is long.
Me (Papa695 )
Peter ( Peterairfix)
Dave ( Dave Ward )
Geoff ( Geoffers)
Mick ( Mick1440)
Sjors
Andy (the smythe maister)
Michael (Scratchbuilder)
Mike ( Valeron)
Ian (IanM)
Tim (Tim Marlow)
Allen Dewire
Andrew ( adt70hk)
Chris ( Steve-the-duck)
Paul ( tr1ckey66)
Tony ( YakFace)
The rules are very simple, any Bi-plane, any scale, any scheme. Starts 1st January 2024 finishes 30th April.
Box art and sprue shots to be posted before you start the build, in your own build thread.
Any conversations about the GB please post in this thread, to try and keep the build threads clutter free.
If anyone else wants to join in, just feel free.
Looking forward to seeing your builds progress and once again many thanks for making this one go ahead.
Also thanks Ian M for putting up the chat thread.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall sit and watch with interest .
Good luck all .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one Ian , looks like its going to be a popular GB , no doubt throwing up a very varied choice of subject . For me its going to be one thats been sitting in the loft for about ten years , this has given me the push to do it . Its an old eastern bloc boxing of the polikarpov po2 , with options to do a closed canopy ambulance / polar expedition version . Cheers Smoky

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Thank you for sorting this one out Ian :thumb2:

I found this lurking at the bottom of the stash so it will be my entry.

IMG_3188.png

It doesn’t have any instructions or transfers, the instructions I’ve found on Scalemates and I’m sure I can cobble some transfers together from the spares pile so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve not done a biplane before so thought something cheap and cheerful would be best to practice on.

Looking forward to the start of the GB now :smiling3:

Geoff.

First Name
Dave
Hi I would like to join in if I may I have a couple of kits but think I'll go for the Se5a and see how it goes I don't know if there are any A.M. bits available for it but if not it'll be an OOB build.

17019709063640.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have a fair number of 1/48 biplanes in the stash, and some 1/72 as well! I'll wait until the New Year before deciding ( hopefully something that no-one else is building ).
I found another candidate the other day, tucked into another box - a real obscurity
sssw.jpg
I think TOKO were the ancestors of Roden, they do pop up from time to time on ebay, but are pretty uncommon - mine isn't a collectors item. the box isn't complete, but may be worth a look at, although rigging on a 1/72 model may be getting a little beyond me, these days!
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice one Dave! Boxart does look like Roden's work and Roden did release a 1/32 kit of this in 2009...

I'm still not decided on what build for the GB. It will be a sea plane, but do I build an easier one, with less rigging or get stupid and build a huge one with tons of rigging??? Maybe I'll have to toss a coin.............

Prost
Allen

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi I would like to join in if I may I have a couple of kits but think I'll go for the Se5a and see how it goes I don't know if there are any A.M. bits available for it but if not it'll be an OOB build.

View attachment 496815

Dave
By all means Dave, glad to have you aboard.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice one Dave! Boxart does look like Roden's work and Roden did release a 1/32 kit of this in 2009...

I'm still not decided on what build for the GB. It will be a sea plane, but do I build an easier one, with less rigging or get stupid and build a huge one with tons of rigging??? Maybe I'll have to toss a coin.............

Prost
Allen
Allen,
I always fancied one of these http://www.roden.eu/HTML/047.html, but chickened out!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting subjects so far…..
Got three in the stash myself, so not quite sure yet. They are a Fokker DVII in Russian colours, an Albatross DII, and a Roland CII (which is favourite at the moment). Quite tempted by the copper state models Sopwith Dolphin though, so might track one of those down….

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I feel you Dave, as that is a lot of rigging to be done. I forgot I have the Felix-Stowe in 1/32 in the stash too. It's way too large to build or attempt to spray paint in my booth though and the rigging would probably give me a mental meltdown. I have the 1/32 Gotha UWD that is a bit smaller than the Felix, but has quite a bit of rigging to it!!! I just remembered I also have the 1/32 Lukgraph Friedrichshafen 33L in resin too...I need a bigger apartment.......

Maybe I should do a poll....................Or maybe not....

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I will admit I will not be participating but I will be following along. Some of these machines are awesome. Way beyond my current skill set.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Way beyond my current skill set.
Doug, you never know until you try - some biplane models aren't that difficult, the Roland CII in 1/72 or 1/48 for example is pretty simple,
roland dii.jpg
The struts are the simplest of any biplane!
Dave
ps Revell reboxed this & you can find it at a very nice price!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Doug, you never know until you try - some biplane models aren't that difficult, the Roland CII in 1/72 or 1/48 for example is pretty simple,
View attachment 496868
The struts are the simplest of any biplane!
Dave
ps Revell reboxed this & you can find it at a very nice price!
That’s the one in my stash……don’t want to scare Pete, but there are actually 16 rigging wires on the wings LOL…..good looking aircraft though.