What is PE?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ahhh. I have a flat yellow sheet of something in the CH2 kit I have waiting in the wings. Says it has to be bent and shaped then added totes kit. Would that be it?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
yes Doug John is right like my picture is but this is the biggest bit ive ever had to build an very fragile so when you handle yours take care
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
yes Doug John is right like my picture is but this is the biggest bit ive ever had to build an very fragile so when you handle yours take care
chrisb
That looks like what I have. Not too much of it. Grenade launcher frames and a couple of other bibs and bobs.
Can't get access right now as new carpets going down so everything is upside down today!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That looks like what I have. Not too much of it. Grenade launcher frames and a couple of other bibs and bobs.
Can't get access right now as new carpets going down so everything is upside down today!
YES Doug WHEN you come to use it handle with care an i superglued my big radar together bit i suppoce you could as well on small bits but have your S/G acelleraror HANDY to spray it so it glues in an instand
chrisb

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Have a PE bender/shaper, John sells them in the shop. And make sure you are steady as they have a tendency to ping all over the place.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Doug
PE (photo etch) is used to add or improve detail in a model. Be careful though as quite often the PE is not an improvement over the kit part or is simply too small and fiddly to bother with. A lot of PE is bought as an aftermarket item. Sometimes it can be as expensive as the kit itself! Some manufacturers do provide some PE in the kit itself. Some is a replacement for a plastic part but some manufacturers only provide the part as a PE part.
PE is usually stuck with CA (superglue) or white glue (PVA) although it can also be soldered. The PVA does not provide a strong bond on small parts so the join needs strengthening with CA.

This is the gun shield of a 1/48 scale 88mm Flak gun and the PE parts to replace it.
P1060193.JPG

This is a case where the PE is better as it is much more to a scale thickness.

This is it assembled.
P1060205.JPG

Much better and worth the effort in my opinion.

I said earlier that the PE was sometimes not that useful. If you look at the fret of PE for the gun shield you can see a handle (about half way up the left side). It's flat not rounded like a handle should be. On the finished shield you can see I have made the handle from a bit of bent wire with flattened ends which is more realistic.

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
PE is the Marmite of the modelling world - some love it, others loathe it! As the guys have said it can actually enhance the model , or prove so problematic as to be unworthy of the effort!
Steve

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
No mention in the instructions as to using a different glue!!!! Glad I brought this up. Every day a school day!! :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Agreed with what has been said above: some photoetched parts really add to a model, others replace plastic parts with inferior versions. The ship’s radar Chris (@boatman) showed, for example, is where it really adds something, because there’s no realistic way to make that in plastic, and scratchbuilding it would be even more work than building these parts. Jim’s gun shield is also where it will clearly add something to the model’s appearance, because all of a sudden it will be of (nearly) scale thickness. But you also get sets tjat tell you to replace hand grips or brush guards, moulded as round plastic parts because they’re made from steel rod or tube on the real thing, by flat etched parts, for instance. In other words: consider if it’s worth it or not before you add these parts — and also before you even buy the set.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I would rather scratch it out of plastic no matter how small it has to be.......but, there are always exceptions and mitigating circumstances that sometimes get in the way! :thinking: :angry:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
YES Doug thats P/E but what is it ? an what model ?
chrisb
It's part of the Ryefield, Challenger 2 TES Tank. (1:35) Worked at Bovington, home to the Army's Royal Armour Centre for 20 years and the things were all around me so I thought - yeah!! I'll build one of them!! Then it arrived and I thought! Whoa!!! That's not going to be easy!!! Workable track links as well as the, what I now know as PE!!!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It's part of the Ryefield, Challenger 2 TES Tank. (1:35) Worked at Bovington, home to the Army's Royal Armour Centre for 20 years and the things were all around me so I thought - yeah!! I'll build one of them!! Then it arrived and I thought! Whoa!!! That's not going to be easy!!! Workable track links as well as the, what I now know as PE!!!!
OK Doug well this is just my opinion but when you get to the P/E JUST rub it down on both sides with a very fine sand paper an to make it easyer still to glue the P/E togeather i would suggest you glue 1 mm sqaure plastic rod to the edges as that will give you something to glue to as that how i made up my big radar on my tiger pics below IMG_6065.JPGIMG_6100.JPG