What's with my a/b

First Name
Robert
hi

Was doing some spraying the other afternoon on my 1/72 spit, got the Vallejo paints so no thinning, spray pattern was ok then I got spotting of paint drops coming from a/b which hashed the paint up. Cleaned a/b and tried again, half way through it starts again splurging out spots of paint in the spray!!

What's going on

Using iwata neo but think I need another ( or maybe a new compressor ( ouch I think it may be lots of money )

Can anyone help

Robert

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
hi
Was doing some spraying the other afternoon on my 1/72 spit, got the Vallejo paints so no thinning, spray pattern was ok then I got spotting of paint drops coming from a/b which hashed the paint up. Cleaned a/b and tried again, half way through it starts again splurging out spots of paint in the spray!!

What's going on

Using iwata neo but think I need another ( or maybe a new compressor ( ouch I think it may be lots of money )

Can anyone help

Robert
Perhaps the thinner and the paint has not been mixed properly. If that happens, it sprays out spotty, exactly how you described it. This used to happen to me for ages, and I used to think I had a cracked nozzle on my Iwata Eclipse and High performance. Only just recently, I realised it was not mixed properly. This could be the problem

John

D

dubster72

Hmm using crappy acrylic paint would be my diagnosis Robert! Switch to enamels immediately!! ;)

I don't know what pressure you're spraying at, but try a higher setting - sounds to me like a lack of atomization, which can sometimes happen at low PSI

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hmm using crappy acrylic paint would be my diagnosis Robert! Switch to enamels immediately!! ;)
I don't know what pressure you're spraying at, but try a higher setting - sounds to me like a lack of atomization, which can sometimes happen at low PSI
Ha! Enamels.... Hmmmm lacquers for me! ;) :smiling3:

John

First Name
Adrian
Can I suggest a simple solution, the tip of your airbrush is getting clogged, use a Q-tip between spraying to wipe away the excess that's been sprayed onto your work.

Adrian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Most likely the paint and thinner isn't completely mixed as John said. Enamels aren't the solution to all issues, I had this exact same problem yesterday with Humbrol enamel. Remixed, stirred every few minutes in between runs and all was well.

First Name
Robert
Thanks guys I'll try the remix solution although I was mixing with the agreed thinners. I will remix every so often. Concerning enamel I only use on small areas and mainly by brush by hand. I have found Vallejo are a good all round paint but tamiya has shades I don't yet have in Vallejo hence the mixing process of thinned down paints.

To clean I use a Vallejo a/b cleaner and q tips on the nozzle but I cannot always recheck this

Psi on the compressor is set about 15 but I could up that to about 20 ( iwata did suggest a lower psi

I also have thought of getting a few eBay cheap a/b from China, yes I know they won't last long and may clog more but I have heard some great things on here about Chinese cheapies.

I am also thinking about the eclipse or the revelution but convincing the banker ( wife ) is another matter

Thanks again chaps for your input

Kind regards

Robert

D

dougie

Had this the other day with Vallejo. Higher pressure sorted it but I thinned very very slightly just in case - due to only having a 0.2 needle and priming a large surface. I wouldn't agree the acrylics are crappy, just different and will require a different setup. The finish on most of the primer turned out great and smooth.

Also shake the he'll out of the bottle, very liable to settling

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
your original post stated no thinning vallejo , this may be a typing error I use Vallejo as my main paint and add thinner to it all and a few drops of flow improver , I also mix the paint/thinner externally then add to brush with no problems .

First Name
Robert
Hi there thanks fir your input. I was under impression Vallejo paints went strait to a/b but I have got some Vallejo thinners but think I may need flow improver from john

Regards

Robert

D

dubster72

Vallejo Model Air is formulated for direct AB use Robert, although many people thin it slightly.

Model Colour needs mucho thinning!

Sure I can't tempt you with lovely enamels? ;) never get any of these problems with them!

ps 15 PSI is very low, try a blast on some card at 30-35 & see how that goes.

D

dougie

Yes dubster is right about pressure, I'm just starting out and I find they need the higher pressure straight out the bottle. probably slightly thicker and bigger pigment particles. I haven't tried enamel spraying, I'm sure they are superior given their properties but I'm more conscious of safety, smells and having to use stronger chemicals.

What size of needle are you using

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Thanks guys I'll try the remix solution although I was mixing with the agreed thinners. I will remix every so often. Concerning enamel I only use on small areas and mainly by brush by hand. I have found Vallejo are a good all round paint but tamiya has shades I don't yet have in Vallejo hence the mixing process of thinned down paints.
To clean I use a Vallejo a/b cleaner and q tips on the nozzle but I cannot always recheck this

Psi on the compressor is set about 15 but I could up that to about 20 ( iwata did suggest a lower psi

I also have thought of getting a few eBay cheap a/b from China, yes I know they won't last long and may clog more but I have heard some great things on here about Chinese cheapies.

I am also thinking about the eclipse or the revelution but convincing the banker ( wife ) is another matter

Thanks again chaps for your input

Kind regards

Robert
Try getting an Iwata Revolution as a minimum if you can if you are thinking of another AB.

John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi Robert as you know I am new to airbrushing I'm using a h&s eco silverline a Vallejo model air, I shake them vigorously before use and add a few drops of daler rowney flow enhancer too every 20 drops of paint and then sprayed just over 20 psi, about 22 23psi I suppose and so far so good. Also clean nozel after every spay session.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi Robert as you know I am new to airbrushing I'm using a h&s eco silverline a Vallejo model air, I shake them vigorously before use and add a few drops of daler rowney flow enhancer too every 20 drops of paint and then sprayed just over 20 psi, about 22 23psi I suppose and so far so good. Also clean nozel after every spay session.
fully agree mate. Although I use an iwata, I spray around that pressure range

John

L

Laurie

First Robert I would try using a different colour to see if that works OK. If it does then the problem is the paint.

Model Air is made specially for airbrushing. But a lot depends on what you want to do with it and what size needle nozzle you are working with. .4 nozzle you can brush un thinned very well. .35 getting close to need thinning. Below that thin using Vallejo thinners. For the first coat I thin 25% second coat full on. As Steve has mentioned use the new Vallejo Flow Improver. Not had success using a .2 needle/nozzle but with flow improver it has been a revelation.

Normally with Model Air not had a problem just a quick shake and that is it. Yellows take the top off and stir as the ground stuff sinks to the bottom.

Iwata Neo is marketed under Iwata but is manufactured out of the Iwata empire. There are many who have no problems but some who have a lot of problems with Neo.

On the matter of enamels well these people just live in the ice age. Sad but I have no doubt in time they will realise the error of their ways. But we must feel for them as they are a dying breed (mostly due to the fumes of enamel :P ) and will become extinct before this century gets much older. We must of course impress upon them that there is a way out. Switch to Vallejo Paint and they will live a long and gloriously happy life. :D :p:sad: ;) :smiling3:

Laurie Vallejo :eek:

PS on the PSI depends on what you are doing. A large area 18PSI. Effects shading etc 8PSI

D

dubster72

\ said:
First Robert I would try using a different colour to see if that works OK. If it does then the problem is the paint.
Model Air is made specially for airbrushing. But a lot depends on what you want to do with it and what size needle nozzle you are working with. .4 nozzle you can brush un thinned very well. .35 getting close to need thinning. Below that thin using Vallejo thinners. For the first coat I thin 25% second coat full on. As Steve has mentioned use the new Vallejo Flow Improver. Not had success using a .2 needle/nozzle but with flow improver it has been a revelation.

Normally with Model Air not had a problem just a quick shake and that is it. Yellows take the top off and stir as the ground stuff sinks to the bottom.

Iwata Neo is marketed under Iwata but is manufactured out of the Iwata empire. There are many who have no problems but some who have a lot of problems with Neo.

On the matter of enamels well these people just live in the ice age. Sad but I have no doubt in time they will realise the error of their ways. But we must feel for them as they are a dying breed (mostly due to the fumes of enamel :P ) and will become extinct before this century gets much older. We must of course impress upon them that there is a way out. Switch to Vallejo Paint and they will live a long and gloriously happy life. :D :p:sad: ;) :smiling3:

Laurie Vallejo :eek:

PS on the PSI depends on what you are doing. A large area 18PSI. Effects shading etc 8PSI
The enamels user needs

Airbrush, paint & white spirit

The acrylic user needs

Airbrush, paint, thinner, flow improver, airbrush cleaner, cotton buds, various sized needles, instruction DVDs, patience, patience & more patience!

I've noticed that only users of acrylics post up airbrush problem threads ;)

And if I drop dead soon Laurie, I'm coming back to haunt you! :smiling3: )

Patrick Enamel

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
The enamels user needs
Airbrush, paint & white spirit

The acrylic user needs

Airbrush, paint, thinner, flow improver, airbrush cleaner, cotton buds, various sized needles, instruction DVDs, patience, patience & more patience!

I've noticed that only users of acrylics post up airbrush problem threads ;)

And if I drop dead soon Laurie, I'm coming back to haunt you! :smiling3: )

Patrick Enamel
Good banter lads I love it!

First Name
Adrian
Acrylic users have no disgusting vapours to deal with, can have their project dry within the hour and carry on working, can swap between colours within secs and have access to a much wider range of paints through multiple companies :smiling3:

I've never bought a DVD as for more problem posts from acrylic users maybe its simple figures and the amount of users :smiling3:

Long live Acrylics!!!!!

Adrian