WW1 trench scene.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
I don't know, I am excited :D . As a failed figure painter, I am fascinated to see it done so well.
Thanks Graham for the kind words.

And you're not a failed figure painter. ;)

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
a good start and need to start some were,what a lot of bits,looks like my work table, ;)
Thanks Monica. :smiling3:

I'll start getting some base colours down tomorrow.

First Name
Robert
This is looking nice and the figs and equipment look really well detailed ( was that a maxim I saw on the left?

Regards

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
This is looking nice and the figs and equipment look really well detailed ( was that a maxim I saw on the left?
Regards

Robert
Thanks Robert.

The MG 08-14 is a variation of the original Maxim(I believe).

T

T. van Vuuren

I have (after seening the standard of figures at our IPMS) a newfound respect for you figure modlers, with planes and other subjects we can still hide some imperfections but you gouys have to work perfectly.

Theuns

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
I have (after seening the standard of figures at our IPMS) a newfound respect for you figure modlers, with planes and other subjects we can still hide some imperfections but you gouys have to work perfectly.
Theuns
Thanks for the comments Theuns. :smiling3:

As for working perfectly..well no pressure there then.. ;)

F

Fenlander

Very nice shading work going Ito this Ralph.

I wish I could get to grips with using oils on figures. I have been shown, I have read about it but I just cannot get to grips with it. You know what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks...... Well, it goes for old modellers too :oops:

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Very nice shading work going Ito this Ralph.
I wish I could get to grips with using oils on figures. I have been shown, I have read about it but I just cannot get to grips with it. You know what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks...... Well, it goes for old modellers too :oops:
Thanks for the kind words Graham.

When I first started painting 120mm figures about 23 years ago,I learnt from 3 of the best,Alan Ball(the well known sculptor),Ged Kincaid and Ron McKenzie(RIP).

They painted in oils so that is what I went with.My first face turned green:eek:.

I was advised to practice my blending and colour techniques by painting stones...yes stones,I must have painted 100's of em...

I used to sit and paint and paint and paint.Again I must of painted for 100' of hours.There was a point in my life when I used to worry about what people thought of my work.This did stunt my progression for quite a while,but I persevered and carried on practicing.About 15 years ago I withdrew into my own world and very rarely left the house(I still very rarely go out).It was at this point I stopped caring about what other's thought and painted for myself.I feel this was when I became a better painter(not to brag),I became very loose in what I was doing painting wise.

I now thoroughly enjoy Every piece I create.I paint/model every day to keep the voice's at bay(I have a mental illness and was diagnosed with a Command Hallucinatory Personality Disorder).So that is why I produce so much work.

Flip I'm rambling now... :smiling3:

All the best.

Ralph.

F

Fenlander

Don't want to digress from your thread Ralph but I do believe that modelling is great therapy and I speak also form experience. Sometimes not easy to appreciate and I know I have walked away from it during the bad times but I know it's there and every time I come back I get that bit stronger. Trouble is, my modelling does not get better :rolleyes:

D

dubster72

I do like to see someone who can use oils on figures Ralph. To me it's a black art & I'll never have the touch to make it work.

Do you find it easier with 1/16 figures rather than 1/35? I know they're bigger, but that's not always better ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work so far ,Ralph,show a lot of deep to him,and well as the high lite,

a great start,liking the look, of him, ;)

do you leach out some of the oil first ,to help with the drying time,?

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
I do like to see someone who can use oils on figures Ralph. To me it's a black art & I'll never have the touch to make it work.
Do you find it easier with 1/16 figures rather than 1/35? I know they're bigger, but that's not always better ;)
Thanks Patrick for the kind words. :smiling3:

Yes I do find painting 1/16 easier than 1/35 especially with oil.I can do the smaller scale but I struggle at time's.

A bit like playing snooker then pool.