ZULU! The Store House...Rorke's Drift...January 1879

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Thanks Colin, I know they set fire to the Hospital building, but I can't remember if they did the same to the stores. I don't think they did.I'm hoping to model the last ditch defence, after the hospital was over run and the soldiers retreated behind the hastily erected biscuit box wall.......

Ron
Well it's nice to be wrong. At least it was just the hospital they set fire to. I bet Matron was well annoyed.

D

Deleted member 3568

This has progressed a lot since I last looked in can't believe how fast its going, looking awesome as always Ron.

T

treyzx10r

Just catching up on this again Ron ,as usual you're up to your high standards and its looking great! 800 lbs for that many figures sounds like a deal what are you waiting for? ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Eyup mucker , that collapsing grass bank is unbelievably realistic , i dont know how ye do it. i suspect witchcraft! , cheers tony

0ne48thtel

Ron this is looking great I shall look forward to seeing the finished build.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone,

As the weather is so nice, I've done precious little bench work.

I've made a gate and some fence posts - I figured there must have been some sort of fence to guide the cattle into the kraal. Anyway its there now!

View attachment 89017

Here is the one 1/72, B Coy., 2nd Battalion 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Reg. of Foot defender I've finished.......Contrary to the film, it was an English, not Welsh Battalion, and at the time of the battle there were only 15 Welshmen in the ranks...Still a determined bunch of blokes wherever they came from.

View attachment 89018

Only another 130 odd to do!!!!!!

View attachment 89019

Should keep me happy......or suicidal.

Cheers,

Ron

rorkes drift 024.jpg

rorkes drift 022.jpg

rorkes drift 023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tommy1drop

This really is looking great Ron, so much to look at, you just have to keep looking at it, so much to see, I love dio`s like this, looking forward to seeing more;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the confusion is because the 24th Foot became the South Wales Borderers a couple of years later.

Just think, when you've finished the 150 red coats you'll only have 3,000 Zulus to do :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking good Ron , I don't envy you with those figures :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Holy crap thats a shedload of soldiers youve got to paint mate!! and in 1/72 , I dont envy you ! cheers tony

First Name
barry
Looks great ron i cant add anything more to what has been said the roofs just brill ( you dont smoke do you !).

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
You are doing great Ron I envy your patience doing all those tiny figures I got to 50 of them in my ww1 dio and have had to take a break from it all arghhhhh. So hats of to you keep the pic coming cheers John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking great Ron, real liking this one ,well done so far, ;)

nice red coat,,he,s turned out well, wish you luck with the others dont know any way to speed up the painting of them, :confused: :rolleyes: to help,

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
wish you luck with the others dont know any way to speed up the painting of them, :confused: :rolleyes: to help,
Thanks Monica, p.m. me your address, then I'll send half to you. When you have painted them send them back to me!

Job sorted!!!!

Thanks to for the other encouraging posts boys...I'll need all I can get before this build is completed!

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh lol,then ever one can come visit ever other sunday, :D

S

steve scan

Just a quick point Ron for even more accuracy a lot of the soldiers stained their white helmets using the water from making their tea so they were varying shades of light brown, the white helmets were to good a marker for aiming at.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Just a quick point Ron for even more accuracy a lot of the soldiers stained their white helmets using the water from making their tea so they were varying shades of light brown, the white helmets were to good a marker for aiming at.
Cheers Steve, I'm going to do just that, and, when I've painted all the figures, give the uniforms a good dose of weathering - i.e. dust, as I would think after a hard day's battling that's just how they would have been....What say you?

Thanks for the timely reminder and nice comments, I appreciate your input.