ZULU! The Store House...Rorke's Drift...January 1879

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Cheers Steve, I'm going to do just that, and, when I've painted all the figures, give the uniforms a good dose of weathering - i.e. dust, as I would think after a hard day's battling that's just how they would have been....What say you?Thanks for the timely reminder and nice comments, I appreciate your input.
British soldiers dirty never Ron. They would be bulling there boots in between skirmishes :smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

Great progress here.

I love how this is coming out.

Francesco

Edit: one question, I suppose figure are in soft plastique, are you using any primer or special technique to prepare them for painting?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Francesco, I just give the figures a good clean with soapy water to remove the release agent then I paint them - no primer.

O.k. folks, here's progress so far...I'm doing a little painting now and again to retain my sanity.

Here's where I'm up to. The soldier's trousers and tunics are painted ready for some detailing......The bases will be removed once the painting is complete.

View attachment 89176

Cheers,

Ron

rorkes drift 027.jpg

D

dubster72

I've just done 5 panzer crewmen in 1/72 & my eyes hurt! Lord knows how you managed that horde Ron!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Ron,that is great progress ,oh my eyes hurt from just looking at them oh so meany lol, :D

keepup the great work, :rolleyes:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all.

I've really finally finished one figure. Weathered him a bit and mucked up his helmet. I noticed the uniform had green cuffs and collar, so I've kind'a represented them as best I could......So that's all he's getting!

He is no.1...and as the actress said to the Bishop "The first one is always fun!"

View attachment 89275

I plonked him on the dio. and hid his stand with the boxes....

View attachment 89276

Thanks for looking, and I'm still hunting for 1/72 Zulus.

Ron

rorkes drift 044.jpg

rorkes drift 038.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
haha oh lol, i like that, :D

thats a great job,on him , and in no time will have the rest done and if there half as good as that one will look traffic :smiling3:

P

Plastickitbasher

Try

this one

Or this one

Or this one

Or this one

Hope this helps

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
British soldiers dirty never Ron. They would be bulling there boots in between skirmishes :smiling3:
What was the line when a senior NCO was doing a roll call in between the fighting - "you boy, do that tunic up" or something like that.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
it was some think like that to one of the welsh who was singing , from what i can remember Colin

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It could be this bit........A soldier asked his Corporal if he could undo his collar. He was refused permission....he did as he was told - and was promptly shot by a Zulu in the hill above the mission. Just before he collapsed he asked "Can I unbutton it now, Corp.?"

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
you know it had been on foxtel. and when you need to see it they don,t play it :confused:

that could be right as well Ron ,:rolleyes:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stop Press!!!

At long last I've finally won me some Zulus. A big thanks Dave (Gern) for giving me the eye-eye that they were up for auction...

I bid and won on a decent number, it's been a while waiting for the right moment. They still cost me an arm and a leg, but at least when I've finished the dio. I can take some pictures, and then hopefully sell the model on 'you know where' and try and recoup some beer tokens!!

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats good to hear so glad,its bad when some think holds you up for such along time,and you being

like me like things cheap,it dose hurt lol, ;)

looking so forward to seeing next update, :smiling3:

First Name
barry
Great work Ron i dont envy you doing all that painting!!!.

T

T. van Vuuren

Ron I drove past an Anglo Boer War Blockhouse outside Vereeninging yesterday and imidiately thought of your build :smiling:

It looks stunning!

One thing I must admit to is that since I live in SA I might be a tad bias to the Zulu woriors fighting the "red invaders" ;)

Theuns

S

Stevekir

Ron: my paper today has a 3/4 page spread giving the history of Rorke's Drift and the preceding Battle of Isandlwana, including the number of wounded in each and what they hastily did in the available 2 hours before the RD battle. Also a detailed painting giving fighting, wounded, smoke etc. If you are interested, PM me and I will scan it all on to pdfs (although by now you might already have all the info you need).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Theuns, I'm bias too.....Yet another early example of the British Military sticking it's noses where they shouldn't, and then killing people.....Not much changes, does it?!

Steve, thanks for the offer. Modellers can never have enough info. on a particular build.......I'll p.m. you shortly.

Thanks again,

Ron

T

T. van Vuuren

If you want to do a British Army Blackhouse of the 2nd ANglo boer war let me know I will get you pix if I can.

My great grandfather fought the "Kakhies" and was sent to St Helena as a POW.

I still have his Boer medal of the old Transvaal Republic .

Theuns