Andys MG Metro 6R4, Belkits 1/24

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That explains the colour of the decals. I was wondering about them, but now you mention it, I recall that all the “raw” kevlar I’ve seen IRL (which, I admit, isn’t all that much :smiling3: ) is this odd, pale yellowish/greenish colour like on the corners of the skid plate in your photo of the real thing.
True, kevlar on its own it that wierd colour, but it is often interwoven with carbon fibre in varying proportions to get the required properties in the final material. I've seen it ranging from a pure beige/yellow to almost black with yellow "flecks"

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it is often interwoven with carbon fibre
I didn’t know that, but it makes sense — best of both worlds type of thing, I guess. That also explains the black in the kevlar part. (I own a PASGT helmet and vest, and the inside of the helmet looks like they used a greenish resin to bond the kevlar, while through the vest’s drain holes you can just get a glimpse of the colour of bare kevlar, which is simple yellowish.)

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The seats and harnesses are now fitted. I have to say that threading the ribbon through all those buckles and clips was one of the hardest things I've ever done in modelling, and they haven't turned out quite as well as I'd hoped due to how easily the ribbon soaked up CA, causing an instant mess. A bit of matt varnish has disguised the worst though and I'm happy given how fiddly they were.

1000008465.jpg

1000008466.jpg

A couple of touch ups and it's pretty much done. The antenna has disappeared from the safe place I put it, so I may have to fashion another.

I've added the external PE clips & clasps, although after bending the upper windscreen clamps to shape they vanished into thin air, so I've substituted them with 1mm strips of tape:

1000008468.jpg

I may leave it at this point for now and concentrate on the D-Day GB, then return to this for the figures, accessories and base.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
That just looks superb Andy and the seat belts look absolutely authentic.
I saw a YT video where the builder just brushed ONE coat of Microsol on the Sabelt decals and they moulded into the fabric and looked superb - your choice.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks

Yes, I'm letting the belt decals set up a bit first. I wasn't sure how well they would stick to the fabric so playing it safe before adding any softening solutions.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Ian.

Thats all for now folks. I'd like to make a start on my piece for the D-Day GB but I'll come back to this thread as I start the base.

Some snaps of the finished beast in clean form. It'll might be much dirtier when it's finished.

1000008469.jpg

1000008477.jpg

1000008471.jpg

1000008478.jpg

1000008479.jpg

1000008480.jpg

1000008481.jpg

1000008482.jpg

Thanks to everyone that has followed along so far, and Bob for suggesting this GB, it's given me a real taste for car models.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Andy, that puppy is gorgeous!!! So much to look at and a most detailed kit, not to mention your fantastic paint skills to top it off!!! Take a bow, Buddy!!!...And enjoy a cold one or two at my expense.....Check's in the mail..............................

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy have to agree with the others mate this is a cracking finish and if you hadn't have said anything about the glue on the belts I would never have noticed.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you very much for the kind and generous comments guys. I really had a blast building it, even though it was very different to my usual stuff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks amazing andy , superbly built and finished . I havent done many car models ( only 1 recently in fact ) and appreciate its a totally different skill and mind set from our usual military fare . One day I might even attempt a motorbike :dizzy::disappointed:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Bootiful indeed. Love the detail and the interior is stunning. Well done with the harnesses, look spot on to me.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Spot on Andy. That really looks the part and takes me back to being 18 again, sat on the bus with my Motoring news, off to college.