Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I keep dropping in to see how much further you are with this build, and you never let me down or fail to surprise me...
OH THANKS Mike glad you bein surprised by my work on this plane as there is still a heck of a lot of the build yet to come but tryin to fit this opening engine cover maybe where i come unstuck as the fusalarge is a slight curve so that means tryin to make the panel bend a bit on them hinges so it may not open an close properly as remember the real planes cover is held in place by screws an such but i cant do that so see what happens today as im goin to do several dryfits with the hinges fitted only on the engine panel until i find it does fit an the hingese must be fitted under the engine so there is a bit of space there but how much will see an have a measure up
thanks for stoppin mike
ATB
Chrisb

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
HI Arnold yes im havin probs on this kit due to bad fittin but im winning as i get over the probs an marmite sanies HAHA that was just a joke as gern an i cant stand the stuff lol an yes i like to go the extra mile by makin things work if its possible an now goin to post some more pic on how im doin on this big cat an yes im also lookin forward to seein how this build turns out
ATB to you sir
chrisb

You don't like MARMITE!?!?! What!?!? You've gone down in my estimation now Chris LOL! :smiling:

AN yes Arnold i built the tomcat in 1/48th scale as it was a ACADEMY make an it was a very good build of the PUKEIN DOGS SQR an at the moment it sits on top of a shelf over my tv an it also lights up but no engines opening panels as the kit did not give engines in it

Oh nice, and nice choice of scheme. I have the Tamiya kit which is supposed to be a great build but the sheer size and quantity of bits in it scares the crap out of me (Nothing compared to this beast though) as does the 'fear of mucking it up'. Stupid really.

Really liking the progress.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You don't like MARMITE!?!?! What!?!? You've gone down in my estimation now Chris LOL! :smiling:

Oh nice, and nice choice of scheme. I have the Tamiya kit which is supposed to be a great build but the sheer size and quantity of bits in it scares the crap out of me (Nothing compared to this beast though) as does the 'fear of mucking it up'. Stupid really.

Really liking the progress.
You don't like MARMITE!?!?! What!?!? You've gone down in my estimation now Chris LOL
A-J-RIMMER
(QUOTE )

OH DEAR Arnold i feel shocked LOL how about if i say i half like the stuff AS GERN built a rocket on here to load up all MARMITE supplyies to rid the planet of the stuff an save humanity lol but very funny thread an had me laughin an he's gone so far to get a german rocket scientist to obliterate it from peoples mind USEIN SPECIAL MIND WAVES so they dont want MARMITE any more LOL an if you want to read the funny thread ask gern aka dave to tell you where it is an he is still declarin war on the stuff lol
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well still at that big cat an she's still posein bloomin awkward to parts fittin but first pic was goin to fit in the engines an thinkin well i havnt fitted the mini power uptake plug yet so out with the solderin iron an wires an shink rap an here its now fitted in the fusalarge with the main plug but no wires fitted yet IMG_9016.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an wires just taped down dont need to be pretty as it wont be seen as the engine will fit over it plus this is not the opening hatch engine panel side IMG_9026.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an this is the opening engine panel an look how bad a fit it is as it should be nice smooth sides but no its stickes out by at least 1mm which is not for me so something got to be done to get it nice an or as best as possibleIMG_9028.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
So had a thunk an that panel edge must somehow be bent in to be fairly smooth fusalage panel an the only way i could see out of this was usein a diomond cutter on the ole dremel i cut up the inside of the engine mount an it gave me a gap so i glued it but as the plastic is very strong it took a good set of plyers to crimp it togeather thereby pullin the cover in about half a mm but to me it looked betterIMG_9032.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an this engine panel is not just a straight bit of bent plastic far from it as its all curved which makes it harder for me to get a reasonable fit IMG_9030.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO NOW ive managed to pull the cover in a bit will now see how it fits to the fusalarge an yes its better but not how i would like it but bendin it any more i would have to cut off more of the engine mountin which i dont want to do IMG_9034.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here a shot of the whole panel cutout so should show a fair bit of the engine with the lights on to show up the engine as it will be in the dark eara under the wing an next its time to fit them hinges an this will be difficult so see how we go IMG_9035.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
sorry mate I have been absent, but just had a good catch up lovely work as always.
THANKS Scotty an no need to apolagise as we all have a live away from the forum an yes the engine panel fittment is goin to be difficult but ive got an idea in my mind on how to go about fittin the hinges wheather it will work remains to be seen
thanks for lookin in
ATB
chrisb