Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
ahhh got ya, just a suggestion to stick in the back of your brain for the next time something doesn't line up properly...loving what you are doing with this though mate...keep up the sterling work.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
ahhh got ya, just a suggestion to stick in the back of your brain for the next time something doesn't line up properly...loving what you are doing with this though mate...keep up the sterling work.
COR THANKS Chris yes yes i'll try an remember your very good idea as after this badly fittin tomcat kit ive got a 1/32 scale SUPER HORNET again by trumppeter an if its possible to bend because of a bad fit then i'll use your idea on it but i hope it will be a better fit an not a PITA of a kit like this one lol
CHEERS MY FREIND an have a nice day to you an your wife
ATB
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Chris, shouldn't you be wearing boxing gloves with this one!! It's putting up quite a fight!!

That sticky out panel. Could you not shave off a little of the top to pull the section sticking out back into line. Or would that knock out the overall geometry of the engine panel??
I've arrowed the bit I'm referring to!

Doug
Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 11.01.47.png

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Morning Chris, I see you are having a fight with the engine cover... The regular move is as the other Chris said is boiling water. I have had a few problems with shapes that would not conform and my method is to use aluminium sheet or annealed brass sheet.
I have some from Albion Alloys Code SM1 for the brass, but cannot remember the Ally code. But the thickness is 0.127mm and you could bend it over the plastic part and adjust once you have the basic shape, and then once you are happy with the shape add strengtheners to hold the shape in the form of flat strips....
Here are some pics from the interweb (sources not named but thankyou)
f14engine2.jpg
DCB003_4.jpg015_07P.jpg
I can enlarge and seperate the middle pic if you wish.
Cheers
Mike.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, shouldn't you be wearing boxing gloves with this one!! It's putting up quite a fight!!

That sticky out panel. Could you not shave off a little of the top to pull the section sticking out back into line. Or would that knock out the overall geometry of the engine panel??
I've arrowed the bit I'm referring to!

Doug
View attachment 509022
HI Doug YES i am wearin B-gloves an goin for a knockout in the 10th round LOL IF IM STILL SANE LOL an yes i see what you mean but its the angle that the pic is taken at as its flush an ive done the cut in the panel to pull it in an no i cant angle it anymore as then the other end will be wrong an that slight gap at the bottom right is only half a mm as if it too tight then the engine panel will jam an not open so a slight gap is nessasary but thanks for pointing it out Doug as yes it does look a little high but its flush with the fusalarge so i think im gettin there now to try an fit them hinges an thats goin to be difficult but im enjoyin the fight or challenge of this models givinen me
thanks Doug for havin a look an your question as to me it shows you are really studyin the model work an it makes me happy as you like chris ( langy) may think up an idea ive never thought of which chris did but i could not do
CHEERS SIRS ATB
chrisb

Morning Chris, I see you are having a fight with the engine cover... The regular move is as the other Chris said is boiling water. I have had a few problems with shapes that would not conform and my method is to use aluminium sheet or annealed brass sheet.
I have some from Albion Alloys Code SM1 for the brass, but cannot remember the Ally code. But the thickness is 0.127mm and you could bend it over the plastic part and adjust once you have the basic shape, and then once you are happy with the shape add strengtheners to hold the shape in the form of flat strips....
Here are some pics from the interweb (sources not named but thankyou)
View attachment 509026
View attachment 509027View attachment 509028
I can enlarge and seperate the middle pic if you wish.
Cheers
Mike.
OH Mike many thanks for these brilliant pics of the engine an covers im really please you have posted these as trumppter could have put on more detail on them engines than they have what a swizz but in my tomcat book it dont show this kind of detail brilliant pics but cant do anymore detail on my engines as if i do i may not get the panel to close up an yes enlarge the middle pics if you can as id really love them all enlarged as on a model like this you just cant have to many pics of detail more please Mike
cheers my freind
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HELLO Chaps still havin a punch up with that big tomcat but im winning as got the engine panel to fit as good as i could an then fitted on the two mini hinges as can be seen in pic IMG_9059.JPG

next A BATTLE to try an fit them to hinges to the fusealarge an then try an keep the engine panele in its correct postion on the fusealarge which turned out easy there as i just taped the panel in place an then glued the hinges to the fusealge with a heavy blot of glue to make sure the tiny hinges would not break off like the trouble i had with the nose cone an yes the cover looked a decent fit IMG_9062.JPG

an yes it opens ok was sweatin here in case i got it wrong lolIMG_9063.JPG

AN then just dry fitted in the engines to see if the workin can be seen through the engine cut out panel like the pics mike fitted in the build cheers mate an also these now have their air intakes
fitted
IMG_9065.JPG

AN YES SUCCSESS here the engine panel is now in the open postion an its just how i envishiond it would be very pleased i am all thats needed now is lights fitted in to show up the engine which i will have a go at tomorrow
IMG_9064.JPG

AN closed again so thats another idea thats work out fine even with all this fighting she down on the ropes lolIMG_9062.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Nicely done mate.
HI Scottie cheers sir as yes this engine openin panel as near give me the collywobbles lol as yes the plastic of the kit is hard but tryin to fit that panel in to mate to the fusealage was a right bugger as the plane is quite big so it ends up bein floppy an then easy to make a mistake so the panel dont fit
ATB SIR
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Arnold yes that worked just as i hoped it would on that opening engine panel but im not totaly happy with it as that panel is still open about half a mm wen closed but it cant be seen so will have to put up with it CHEERS for lookin in
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO SORRY to hear that bob mate just be glad when you are better as it just aint your yr oh dear
chrisb