Doug's Westland Wasp by LF, the build!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
When drilling the canopy take it really slowly and use minimal pressure Doug because clear plastic is very brittle. I would also put a square of masking tape on it to mark the hole and minimise the chance of the drill slipping. That last one works for ceramic tiles as well if anyone is interested…..
I have a pin vice drill which I will use, starting small and building up!!
I also use the tape technique on ceramics. Have few specific drill bits for just that purpose.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
After some useful advice from Tim, I measured the diameter of the optical sight which fits into the canopy. 4mm!
So As I mentioned, started small and worked slowly up being fearful of cracking the plastic. Luckily, I achieved a 4mm hole and test fitted the sight in the hole. Fits a treat.
Image of the new canopy ventilation!!
IMG_1528.JPG
Bit of cleaning up but I'll do that another session.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a job well done. Though if I’m honest, with a hole that big and no chance to get it wrong, I think I would have cut the sight in half and glued it above and below the windshield.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
After some useful advice from Tim, I measured the diameter of the optical sight which fits into the canopy. 4mm!
So As I mentioned, started small and worked slowly up being fearful of cracking the plastic. Luckily, I achieved a 4mm hole and test fitted the sight in the hole. Fits a treat.
Image of the new canopy ventilation!!
View attachment 512716
Bit of cleaning up but I'll do that another session.
Nice one. Didn’t realise it was that big to be honest. Done a great job though Doug.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That looks like a job well done. Though if I’m honest, with a hole that big and no chance to get it wrong, I think I would have cut the sight in half and glued it above and below the windshield.
Have to admit, that option never crossed my mind. Purely because the length? Height? of the sight is about 6mm maybe 7mm. Also, the cut would have had to have been slightly diagonal making it that bit more difficult as get the angle wrong and it most definitely would have looked wrong, externally and internally!!

Nice one. Didn’t realise it was that big to be honest. Done a great job though Doug.
Thanks Tim. I thought when I drilled the 3mm hole that would be it but when I offered the sight to the hole - nah!! It no fit, so I went another ½ mm and nope, the 4mm was just right. I didn't think my pin vice was going to accept the 4mm drill bit but it was fine. Didn't fancy using the Dremel even at its slowest speed for fear of melting the plastic!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Have to admit, that option never crossed my mind. Purely because the length? Height? of the sight is about 6mm maybe 7mm. Also, the cut would have had to have been slightly diagonal making it that bit more difficult as get the angle wrong and it most definitely would have looked wrong, externally and internally!!

Thanks Tim. I thought when I drilled the 3mm hole that would be it but when I offered the sight to the hole - nah!! It no fit, so I went another ½ mm and nope, the 4mm was just right. I didn't think my pin vice was going to accept the 4mm drill bit but it was fine. Didn't fancy using the Dremel even at its slowest speed for fear of melting the plastic!!
Hand drilling plastic will give you far more control than a dremel ever would. Once drills get to about 4 mm you can wrap masking tape around the shank and just use them in your fingers :thumb2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
It's getting there, it's getting there!!! beating a sows ear into a silk purse....
Got the new specs, how many doors have you walked into forgetting you are wearing them :flushed:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It's getting there, it's getting there!!! beating a sows ear into a silk purse....
Got the new specs, how many doors have you walked into forgetting you are wearing them :flushed:
Wouldn’t say silk purse Mike. As for walking into doors? I’m stuck out in the garage so I take them off just to get off the stool!!!
Using them is akin to a welders mask. I lift the front to check my work and nod to get the lens back into place again. :cool: :rolling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the cut would have had to have been slightly diagonal making it that bit more difficult as get the angle wrong
I thought of that too, but IMHO it’s an acceptable alternative to the risk of breaking the canopy. If you cut the sight wrong, you can always fix it with some filing, plastic card, etc. while if you mess up drilling the hole, that’s it — buy a new kit if you still want a Wasp.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I thought of that too, but IMHO it’s an acceptable alternative to the risk of breaking the canopy. If you cut the sight wrong, you can always fix it with some filing, plastic card, etc. while if you mess up drilling the hole, that’s it — buy a new kit if you still want a Wasp.
There is a get out of jail free option with the canopy too I believe.
1 either cut out that section and replace with a suitable thickness clear ???, clear packaging you get with chocolates or the like!!
OR
2 enlarge the existing hole and again replace with a suitable piece of clear plastic. This time add a black border to replicate the panel that fits in place when the sight is removed!! (Pic below)
Untitled51.jpg
Wouldn’t like to do either but the options are there!
As for buy a new kit! Nah.
I’ll wait until a decent maker brings a version out. Not touching LF again!!!

Edited to add image of sight panel.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Doug she's still fighting you but you're certainly getting there. You're making a fine job of this very problematic kit. As a bonus I've learned all sorts of things about heicopters :smiling3::thumb2:

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Some excellent work, Doug you must have a fair collection of photo's I regret not taking more at sea but I never got to leave the machinery spaces much and when I did it was dark lol (got plenty as a junior rate pi553d down the mess deck) 3 tins per day per man yeah right

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Some excellent work, Doug you must have a fair collection of photo's I regret not taking more at sea but I never got to leave the machinery spaces much and when I did it was dark lol (got plenty as a junior rate pi553d down the mess deck) 3 tins per day per man yeah right
I lived in the Stokers mess on a few war canoes. You're all very sociable!!! Hiccy-burp!!! Fall down!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Bri62 Wrote!
"Some excellent work, Doug you must have a fair collection of photo's I regret not taking more at sea but I never got to leave the machinery spaces much and when I did it was dark lol (got plenty as a junior rate pi553d down the mess deck) 3 tins per day per man yeah right"

I have to say I never took as many personal pics as I would have liked. Much of the time I had the ships Hasalblad intel camera sat on my lap.
Much intel to be gained by a picture taken correctly. Down the uptakes for example!! Lots of info there on Soviet vessels!! There is a technique called stereoscopy, where you overlap your images by 60%+ and looking through those kids 3D hobbies you can get 3D images. Get a person in the image and you have something to measure against!!! Soviets used to change their ships number on the bows etc. But by using 3D imagery you can ID vessels by their 'bumps'. You know the ones the skippers gather when cocking up coming alongside!!!!
We, (I), always carried a camera. I would say 99% of official pictures taken I never saw again. They went off to some 'department' and were never seen again!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
When I say a little bit more progress was made, I mean it literally!!
I made a rudimentary T10K firing mechanism. Made from two small pieces from the Sea King, filed them down to the rough proportions. Added a tiny piece of PE in the shape of a ‘t’ handle. When the ‘t’ handle is pulled it initiated the missile firing sequence.
Pics to follow when I get on the laptop!!
M260 sight was painted and bunged in the hole in the canopy. In hindsight, it could maybe have been a mil or so aft. I’m getting to the past caring stage about now!!
Oh. And I nearly left a layer of skin on a pair of pliers from some over enthusiastic CA application!!!!
Time for some sun!!!
Second Oh!
Car passed its second MOT. Fanfare - roll of drums!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
OK, too hot outside.

Pics as mentioned.
Pic 1
T10K firing mechanism.
IMG_1529.JPG

Pic 2.
Location of where it will be fitted after painting Nato Green.
IMG_1530.JPG

Next will be my nightmare. The missile selection box which sits next to the pilots console. That will be a challenge and a half. It's smaller than the T10K and has more switches!!!

That's all for today. Starting to think about how I am going to hide the interior prior to spraying! Cotton wool is my first thought. I don't want to fit the canopy yet as the cockpit will require lots of access to paint with a brush, switching, controls, seating etc!!

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Funny Wasp pilot story.

Background
It's time for my annual missile firings. (AS12) in the Wasp. I have a new pilot and he has never conducted AS12 firing before. In the helicopter is the 'Boss' aka pilot, the squadron HWI, (Helicopter Warfare. Officer), who oversees my missile drills and and ability to hit the target. And of course - me. The target is a metal frame say in the Chesil Range a sea range.

We take off with two AS12's from Chickerell Farm which we use as an arming point. Everything is good, Wasp is as it should be. weather is good with excellent visibility and little crosswind. Perfect.
What happens is, once cleared in 'hot', target visual and missile switches all live. The pilot will call 'Fire' I release the missile and the pilot counts down the time. (30 seconds time of flight).
Prior to take off, HWI briefs me that the first missile will be the Starboard weapon. (Pilots side). It's usually port first, then starboard.
Range control calls up on the radio, 'Range clear'. We reply 'Tally Ho - In hot'. I have the target in my sight at 20x magnification.
Range control informs us we are at 7000 yards so pilot says over the intercom, '3-2-1 - FIRE'.
I release the T10 K handle, missile firing sequence commences, Ingnites gyro, uncages the gyro and the WHOOOOOSH, off she blast s from the rail.
At this point the pilot is supposed to call Range Control, 'Bruiser Loose', Code word for missile away.
Nope!! Not my new pilot, the act of the missile leaving the aircraft - loudly and sparks everywhere - he presses the radio PTT switch and utter the immortal words "F*** ME!!!!
Range control come straight back '433, assume your weapon down range'?
By now, my new Sub Lieutenant pilot has regained his composure and confirms our weapon is indeed airborne!!!
HWI was giggling on the back seat and I was struggling to keep the weapon in the right direction with no timing calls at all. Luckily I hit the target.
The next two missiles were fired with no further incident!!

My boss never lived that one down, either at Portland on the squadron or at sea on the ship!!