Doug's Westland Wasp by LF, the build!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Gotta agree with Paul, Doug. Great scratchy, injuries, bug bite, and historical data to top it off. It's great when we look back and remember all the good times, and some bad ones, while serving our country in the military. I think we could all write a book about them too...

BTW, love the crater in the canopy Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug, as well as a great build this is a really interesting blog.
Thank you Paul, glad you're finding the little forgotten Wasp of some interest. It really is a forgotten hero of naval aviation.

Gotta agree with Paul, Doug. Great scratchy, injuries, bug bite, and historical data to top it off. It's great when we look back and remember all the good times, and some bad ones, while serving our country in the military. I think we could all write a book about them too...

BTW, love the crater in the canopy Sir!!!

Prost
Allen
Thank you Allen but the scratchery is out of necessity, the bugs!! Rather not go there!! Always like to keep the narrative slightly interesting.
I have actually written a book about the life and times of a naval aircrewman. As a few of my contemporaries have beaten me to it. Rescue 194 and Commando Helicopter Aircrewman, both excellently written by two very good aircrewmen. My version is for family use as much of what I did was when they were kids, so as adults they will know what dear ole dad was up to when he disappeared for months on end or those dodgy phone calls at stupid o clock to pick someone off a Scottish mountain or such!!!
As for the canopy, the sight is sat in there curing as I type!!
Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Todays progress!!

The sight now in situ. All I have to do now is paint a black seal around the where the sight sits in the canopy. That will remove the white ugly plastic currently visible.
Pic 1 (Don't know why there is a yellow streak showing on the image - it's not on the canopy!!)
IMG_1531.JPG

Pic 2
Inside. The arrow is pointing to a total cock up on the kit. The inner optical part looks like it's a mono sight whereas in reality it a proper twin lens affair. See pic 3 below.
IMG_1532.JPG
Pic 3
Actual M260 Bezu sight. Note the viewing eye port bottom of the image. Arrowed.
(Operating the sight is akin to rubbing yer tum, patting your head whilst strumming the fingers of your left hand and guiding the missile with your right hand!!!)
Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 19.28.29.png

Pic 4
Airframe with cockpit masked off prior to painting.
IMG_1533.JPG

Pic 5
Paint applied. (A/B)
IMG_1536.JPG

Pic 6
Masking removed, only a few areas needed touching up. Oil cooler where the clip was. Mind you that area is black anyway.
IMG_1537.JPG

Methinks the cockpit will be brush painted as there are quite a few variations on 'grey' internally!!!

That's all folks. Thanks for looking in. Comments/criticisms all welcomed.

Doug

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It looks like a reflection of a light in your room.
Methinks you're right Jakko. It's definitely NOT on the canopy.

Coming on now Doug. Such a small model to work on.
You are so right about small. I have had to use my newly acquired magnifying glasses all day to day. If I hadn't I don't think I would have made any progress.

And this is what I did today!!

I had a good session doing some 'brush' painting of the interior of the Wasp. Ended up dabbling a bit externally too. The problem really is the size and it is a busy little cockpit for such a small helicopter. Just trying to get the brush angle was a job and a half. Desk lamp got in the way, then my glasses!! Nightmare.

I painted the interior a lighter grey, the seat and seat backs were painted a blue grey colour as was the backrest for the rear seat passengers, which goes right across the rear bulkhead. Then a dab of red here and there, and silver. Externally I was stuck trying to decide how I was going to replicate the red bolts for a small panel which is the access for the fuel tanks, (one port, one starboard). In the end I decided to fill in the oblong indentation with red paint then wipe away the excess using a tissue soaked in water and the excess water removed. Seems to have worked so - happy with that as they say. I also painted the fescalised portion of the oleos chrome!!

Pic 1 Arrow shows the small fuel tank access panel. The white on the undercarriage represents white chord that is commonly wrapped around the four main lashing points to reduce wear on the actual metal. I did white but on a couple of flights I worked with we used red chord!! Same effect.
Not that you can see it but I put a red line on each undercarriage strut just above the wheel to replicate the small device which locks the wheel into position to stop it castoring/rotating.
IMG_1545.JPG

Pic 2 Different angle, I tried my hand at hand painting some detail in the cockpit!! Not too easy for me in this scale!!
IMG_1546.JPG

Pic 3
IMG_1547.JPG

Pic 4 I hand painted some black non slip patches on the undercarriage and also on the two rear winglets. Wheels have all been painted tire black!! Not that it is much different from the fuselage grey/blue.
IMG_1548.JPG

That's me for a few days now. Off for a family reunion tomorrow so Devon - be on your best behaviour, sun and liquid refreshments if you please!!

Any comments tips or indeed criticism please feel free. I will be popping in to read how everyone is getting on and will not in the lest be getting jealous - much!!

Thanks for looking in and to quote Arnie. (The big Austrian one). "I'll be back".

Doug